How are people getting on with their Apple Studio Display?

Soldato
I fear I may have to bite the bullet and order one (although I sort of have - hold that thought). Full disclosure, being able to afford it is not an issue - this is not a salary brag, believe me my public sector salary is nothing to brag about :p but I have 2 years of backpay due next month which I'd like to spend some of before the Mrs sets out her plans for it :cry:
However, being able to afford it and being able to justify the cost are two very different things - admittedly only I can decide this.

Anyhow, I have been happily using my MBP 16 on its own as I think the screen on it is phenomenal however I've started to suffer from long term back pain which I believe is down to the nature of using a laptop display.
I know I could use a stand but honestly once I go to the bother of having a dedicated keyboard and a laptop stand cluttering up my desk I may as well buy a monitor.

So, the one I've ordered. Being in Northern Ireland usually the only way of getting such devices is online however a nearby CEX had a Grade C one for £700 which seemed both great and worrying at the same time. CEX products are a story for another day but needless to say I haven't decided whether I should collect it or not - I understand the return rights as it's click and collect but keep getting the fear they'll try and shaft me if I need to return it!
All that said, the the display is also "on sale" at Amazon for £1,329 with the 5 monthly instalments option available which would soften the blow somewhat.

Or are there any suggestions for a run of the mill 4k offering? Main uses are work and photo editing - and no ultrawides or curved displays, I've been there and done that.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Unless you specifically desire 5K retina, a 27” 4K monitor is a very solid choice. Set to scale to 1440p, everything is still crisp. This is how I have my MBA setup at home. Monitor was £250 and performs really well.

DSCF1416.jpg

I’ve had the Apple Studio Display and it’s lovely. But at the distance I sit from the screen the increased pixel density isn’t that noticeable. If you do colour critical work then the ASD is very good there. I spend most of my time in MS Office and web apps.

Last edited:
Commissario
Have a look at this thread for some suggestions.

And then buy an Apple Studio Display.

I wonder what makes a display a 'C grade' unit though, that would concern me.

I've got two in my radio shack and I think they're fantastic. In my office, I have a 2019 iMac and an Asus 4k display and I can see the difference.

Soldato
OP
Have a look at this thread for some suggestions.

And then buy an Apple Studio Display.

I wonder what makes a display a 'C grade' unit though, that would concern me.
Well this is the question. Personally, I'm at an age now where a few scuffs or even dents to the body of the monitor wouldn't bother me (if it meant saving the guts of £600-£700) so long as the screen was perfect, or very near it anyway.
I've got two in my radio shack and I think they're fantastic. In my office, I have a 2019 iMac and an Asus 4k display and I can see the difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Unless you specifically desire 5K retina, a 27” 4K monitor is a very solid choice. Set to scale to 1440p, everything is still crisp. This is how I have my MBA setup at home. Monitor was £250 and performs really well.

DSCF1416.jpg

I’ve had the Apple Studio Display and it’s lovely. But at the distance I sit from the screen the increased pixel density isn’t that noticeable. If you do colour critical work then the ASD is very good there. I spend most of my time in MS Office and web apps.
Interesting. You're one of the few people who have been to the other side and returned. Thanks.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Interesting. You're one of the few people who have been to the other side and returned. Thanks.

The ASD is really good, but I can’t justify the cost for a work tool, only used during work hours. I edit photos but I do this on my personal MBA.

The uplift in benefits vs the monitor I have now is non-existent. The Lenovo is clear and crisp enough, it has sRGB mode and cost is low.

Soldato

I agree with this. For me more monitors is more important than image quality. I have one 27" 4k monitor and two 1200p side monitors and I love it.

Soldato
A huge factor for me was the integrated cam for FaceTime. I moved to a Mac Studio and Studio Display from an iMac so the cam integration was so important to me that I paid for the Studio Display despite thinking it was ridiculously overpriced. Having said that, the quality of the display is beyond reproach. 5K means the resolution you choose to use is almost irrelevant - just choose what you want based on the size of text you wish to see! You'll also know that the colour calibration is spot on though other monitors manufacturers have caught up with Apple on that aspect.

By comparison, I have a 27" LG 5K sitting next to the Cinema Display which I picked up second hand for under £300. Also a great display so I don't think the factory colour calibration is as good. You choice will likely depend on how much cash you have to burn!

Soldato
OP
What do you use your mac for @GMac11?
Work (word processing/emails etc) and photo editing mainly. Other than that just the usual web browsing/YouTube. There isn't much besides the actual display that I want apart from the speakers. I think the speakers on my MBP 16 are awesome (for what they are) and they have been more than enough for me to negate needing dedicated speakers. When the MacBook is in clamshell mode then the speakers are nowhere near as good, obviously.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Work (word processing/emails etc) and photo editing mainly. Other than that just the usual web browsing/YouTube. There isn't much besides the actual display that I want apart from the speakers. I think the speakers on my MBP 16 are awesome (for what they are) and they have been more than enough for me to negate needing dedicated speakers. When the MacBook is in clamshell mode then the speakers are nowhere near as good, obviously.

This is why I have dedicated speakers now. They can persist between devices and upgrades and will always be top tier.

Soldato
OP
A huge factor for me was the integrated cam for FaceTime. I moved to a Mac Studio and Studio Display from an iMac so the cam integration was so important to me that I paid for the Studio Display despite thinking it was ridiculously overpriced. Having said that, the quality of the display is beyond reproach. 5K means the resolution you choose to use is almost irrelevant - just choose what you want based on the size of text you wish to see! You'll also know that the colour calibration is spot on though other monitors manufacturers have caught up with Apple on that aspect.

By comparison, I have a 27" LG 5K sitting next to the Cinema Display which I picked up second hand for under £300. Also a great display so I don't think the factory colour calibration is as good. You choice will likely depend on how much cash you have to burn!
I am a sucker for a glossy display it must be said. If there was a glossy alternative I would give it serious consideration. I did look at the Alogic Clarity monitors but to be honest if I was spending that much I'd rather just go the whole hog and shell out for the ASD.

It's just the way Apple suck you in. I'm by no means a fanboy but their execution and build quality is second to none. I chopped and changed laptops over the years until I owned a MacBook much like a chopped and changed countless phones until I got an iPhone. But a monitor just seems like a more mundane sort of purchase (to me anyway).

Soldato

You’ll definitely notice the difference for photo editing.

There are other options, but if the CEX monitor is remotely decent, you can’t really go wrong for £700.

Soldato
OP
You’ll definitely notice the difference for photo editing.

There are other options, but if the CEX monitor is remotely decent, you can’t really go wrong for £700.
I might get to the store to pick it up today. It’s around a 30 minute drive from home so not exactly local but not too far away either. Only issue is the wife is out today so I’ve got the kids, I could do without having to trapse them around too :p .
As I mentioned earlier, I don’t want to give them any wriggle room if I have to return. Is it possible to inspect the monitor before I walk out with it? If so would that void my 14 distance selling regs? Or further still, if I do see it and don’t want it can I refuse to take it and ask for my refund there and then?

Soldato
I’m afraid I can’t answer any of your CEX-related questions - could you phone them before you leave the house? At least find out if they would be willing to let you plug it in at the shop with your laptop.

Soldato
OP
Ok. So I escaped for an hour and went to the store (and collected ;)).
The reason for the C grading is there is a scratch around 1-2 inches which has affected a small portion of the lamination. Admittedly it’s pretty obvious when the screen is off but only just visible on a white background when on. It’s not visible any other time. Other than that it’s near perfect. So it really boils down to whether I can overcome that for the sake of £600-£700.
A few years ago I wouldn’t have touched it but as I mentioned above, I’m at an age now where aesthetics aren’t everything plus with 2 kids on the go that sort of saving isn’t to be sniffed at - plus knowing my luck if I bought one at full price one of those said kids would break it anyway :cry:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's still £700 for a monitor that is damaged.

If you really want one go the Amazon payment route, at least you then have the option to take out AppleCare+.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom