How are people getting on with their Apple Studio Display?

Soldato
I accidentally flicked a biro that scratched a Dell monitor a few years ago. You can hide the worst of it with some Vaseline… although admittedly, the Dell is a matt finish, not gloss.

If the scratch was on the chassis I wouldn’t have an issue with it, but if it’s on the display itself that would be a hard no from me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I want one. I really want one. But my PC/gaming/current MacBook monitor is an Alienware 38" ultra wide, and it's so big that I can't really fit another large monitor on the desk.

Soldato
OP
Quick update. I ended up returning my CEX bought display and picked one up from Amazon Warehouse for just a hair over £1000. The scratch was a tough one to call. As I mentioned, you wouldn't even know it was there until you saw a static white background - there were times when I was watching videos that I intentionally looked for it and couldn't see it.
As it was, I just didn't want to run the risk of resenting it after the 14 day return period had passed. So, I got this one from Amazon and it is mint. Was sold as "Acceptable" with cosmetic damage but there isn't a mark on it and it still has Apple warranty until January 2025.

Soldato
I want one. I really want one. But my PC/gaming/current MacBook monitor is an Alienware 38" ultra wide, and it's so big that I can't really fit another large monitor on the desk.

I had this issue, so I built another standing desk which now has my Alienware and gaming setup on it too. I live alone though so that helps.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I cannot speak for Macs but on the PC side increased pixel density makes for a qualitatively better experience. I have both 27” and 24” 4K monitors.

I'm talking about going from 27" 4K to 27" 5K. I've had both and at the distance I sit both are very crisp. The 5K is crisper, but not the same difference between 1440p 27" and 4K 27".

Soldato
I’ve been through a few monitors in recent years and in the end I bit the bullet and went for an ASD. It’s the only one that has a really good quality chassis, sensible aspect ratio, built in cam, (not awful) speakers, and 5k res. It was very spendy but I know I’ll stick with it for a good decade or so.

I’m not really sure why the webcam gets so much hate in reviews. Perhaps I don’t have a good point of reference but it seems decent quality and the centre stage feature is a nice convenience to have.

As mentioned up thread, the height of the tilt stand is totally fine - I haven’t felt the need to raise or lower it all and neither has my wife who is a few inches shorter than me.

Commissario
I’m not really sure why the webcam gets so much hate in reviews. Perhaps I don’t have a good point of reference but it seems decent quality and the centre stage feature is a nice convenience to have.
It wasn’t great when it was first released but there have been a number of updates that have made a lot of difference. Most reviews are from when it was brand new and are pre-updates.

Back
Top Bottom