How Can I Glue This Bumper Crack Together?

Associate
5rDsbwj.jpg

Filling bumper holes with filler is one thing, but what type of adhesive do I need to glue this type of crack together?

I will be respraying the whole bumper with Halfords paint to make the car look less apocalyptical.

Thanks.

Soldato
As above, plastic welding then dress it down / paint

However, where are the mounting points / rails? If they're in that location then you'll probably want a new bumper rather than repair at what will be a point that's relatively stressed

Associate
You'll need to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it spreading in the future before you start the repair. Then just fill this as part of your prep.

Soldato
Personally I'd be inclined to fix the bumper from the rear using fibreglass and then not actually respray it. Sure you'll still have the crack, but i bet overall it'll look better than it will after being resprayed with Halfords rattle cans.

Soldato
Unless it's an uncommon car (looks like an early Focus but I could be wrong) I'd be inclined to get an undamaged one from a breaker rather than repair. Whether you still choose to paint the replacement is up to you.

Alternatively, go all drifter yo and get some tie-wrap stitching going on. :p

Permabanned
there you go

*** No you don't! Hotlinked Image Removed - Armageus ***

(also you realise they are brackets sold for Toilet partition walls right? :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP

So do I put this stuff in between the crack and clamp together?

It's gonna be difficult to keep the two sides shut while doing this repair and hoping they don't separate once I let go.

The car is 01 Focus in Moondust Silver. Think a bumper sets me back £60 whilst repair and paint is less than £20 (already got primer and clear coat as I just did the back bumper).

Man of Honour
Remove the bumper and get the crack as close together as you can then lay that stuff over the backside of the crack, then use the filler on the front to fill any small gap left over.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Looks like a MK1 Focus?

Just find a new front bumper. No DIY repair will ever be that great for this. Either stitch it with zip ties to secure it if you're not bothered how it looks, or source another bumper.

Soldato
I think having anything metal like that which shouldn't be there will fail the MOT though. Think of the children [you run over] and all that nonsense.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom