How can three people drown in this pool ?

Caporegime
I've seen a video where a couple were in a lake, with their camera placed down on the side recording them. You see them swimming when suddenly the man gets into trouble and grabs hold of his girlfriend whilst shes trying to pull him out of there. They both end up going under and do not resurface... The sheer terror and splashing suddenly fades in seconds and the water becomes peaceful again. It's a chilling video and really highlights the dangers of trying to rescue someone who is panicking. Even if you are a skilled swimmer, you could both easily end up dead. Or in this case, three people dead. Awful story.

Soldato
Drowning people are dangerous and they will kill you trying to keep their head above the water. I was always told the safest bet is to wait for them to go unconscious then rescue and revive.

Also if a drowning person grabs hold of you. Swim down, they will let go of you if you go under.

Super sad story.

Soldato
that's why the beach pros, and local pool guards have a bouy/floation device to give the guy in trouble something to grab.

Soldato
another example of utube we're not a publisher syndrome - on reddit if you deperately want to see it ... didn't look , and they didn't call it a safety video ..

Caporegime
I guess the chances of ever knowing what happened here are about the same as finding MH307 or whatever it was called. No witnesses?

Police said nothing wrong with the pool, reopened the next day, etc.

Caporegime
Yeah .

Has to be one getting into difficulties and the others can't save them.

Cold, deep, poor swimmers. Only really plausible explanation ... Unless you like conspiracy theories

I'm a good swimmer but have swam in a cold sea with wetsuit. Put your head under the water and its instant headache!

Try rescuing someone at depth? Yeah easy way to drown!

Edit
I grew up with a family pool.
There was a small port (probably about size of a mug top) with a grille. We would put our hands over it and you could feel the suction quite strong. Not enough to pin you, but it was a 10m pool. They are scary things the filters. Never go near them in public pools. You have no idea of the suction until its too late.

Last edited:
Soldato
new voice interview came out then R4pm ?
someone who participated in the attempted ressucitation ... apparently he was going swimming himself, but they did dnot make it clear whether that was in the same pool ? so whether there were concerns about water temperature; he just commented on absence of a lifeguard.

Caporegime
someone who participated in the attempted ressucitation ... apparently he was going swimming himself, but they did dnot make it clear whether that was in the same pool ? so whether there were concerns about water temperature; he just commented on absence of a lifeguard.

Other critical thing he mentions is lack of depth signage.

Soldato

The pool was deep in the middle, I'm guessing it slopes down and the kids slide down giving the impression of being sucked under.

Permabanned
OK

When I was 13 around 1971, I was at Pwllheli Butlins and in the morning went to the outside swimming pool that had an Olympic height diving board so the water was deep.
The water was also dirty and no way could you see the bottom.
I dived in, swam to the bottom to be greeted by a dead body just hanging in the water and I basically flew out.
Apparently he was fully clothed and had died of cold the previous evening.
Because I poo'd my pants and cried a lot we got a free weeks holiday.

Did this actually happen or do you think you may have imagined or dreamt it?

Back
Top Bottom