How close to a nuclear reactor do you live?

Man of Honour
Probably about a mile away from several (Nuclear Submarines based at Devonport). At my parents, about 30 miles from Sizewell.

Doesn't worry me in the slightest, I'd fully support plans to build more.

Soldato
With all the Japan stuff it prompted me to take a look and see how close the nearest nuclear reactor was to me.

Turns out it is only 106 miles away.

How close are you to a nuclear reactor? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_reactors

If a reactor is close by, are you concerned? I'm not really too concerned with a reactor 100 miles away as we're not prone to earth quakes and stuff here. Although we get the odd tornado.

If it makes you feel better the Japanese disaster is rated as level 5 by the international watchdog, the UK have already had a level 5 emergency when Windscale reactor caught fire (after it was decided it was a good idea to run the reactor at overload in order to create weapons grade tritium), America have had a level 5 too at three mile island. Nuclear power plants are pretty safe in general, the one in trouble in Japan is 45 years old and Chernobly while younger was a much older design, modern plants are much safer than either design.

Associate
No where near one, and to be quite honest they do not bother me in the slightest.
A 150 years of burning coal and fossil fuels have done much more damage to humans and the earth than nuclear power will do for the next 1000.

Back
Top Bottom