• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How common is Coil Whine?

Associate
So as the title suggests, I want to know how common it is for a GPU to have coil whine among the people in this forum.
In the past few years I have been using; RTX 2060, HD 7770, RX 590, RX 5700 xt and recently both an RX 6750 xt & RX 6700.
All cards have had pretty audible coil whine, which in the past was pretty easy to ignore as the case fans were loud.
But now, upgrading to Arctic's P12 it's too noticeable.
So how many of y'all have had very loud coil whine?

never had it, cards make a buzzing sound if you get close and crank frames up but never like the people who say its so loud they can hear it over the game they are playing

Current card makes a tiny bit of noise if FPS hit several hundred + in menus, otherwise quiet as a church mouse (aluminum case sat at ear height a foot away on my desk).

I've just been lucky maybe. But never had a noisy card in 20+ years of building my own PC's.
Though I only ever use a top of the range PSU and do my research on whatever GPU I'm thinking of buying. Though aware that this doesn't necessarily guarantee peace and quiet.

Last edited:
They all have coil whine. It's a matter of how loud. And one thing I've learnt over the years is to never trust another person's opinion of how loud a sound is, as what's "silent" to one person may be unbearable to another.
yeah ive seen videos on here with people saying how bad it is and i cant hear it till phone gets up the cards arse :P

The only time I have heard coil whine was when my PSU packed up and the replacement seasonic was outragous. The two cards I had a vega 64 and an Nvidia card made a horrific noise or so I thought. The kitchin roll test proved the PSU was to blame. I do wonder if there is some elec-trickery going on between the psu and the cards we dont understand.

HD 7770 and RTX 2060 are low end cards.

You have to realise you need to compromise somewhere. You will have noise regardless in a system built for performance.

I would turn your fans up and see where you are comfortable for a normal background noise as your noise floor. Then see how much louder coil whine is.

Fact: if you fall to sleep with high noise around you, you won't wake up if a loud noise happens this is due to your mind getting used to it

If you keep a reasonably audiable noise floor the coil whine may be less noticeable or irritating.

Last edited:
Depends how old you are. Lots of coil whine is in the higher frequency spectrum, where it's the most annoying. Plenty of folk 40+ that have lost 30-50% of their hearing, many either don't realize this or they are in denial.

Test you hearing here >

I've used around 6 3080 and 3090's in total and currently have a 4090. All have coil whine in some form. My strix 4090 is quieter, but still audible.

Depends how old you are. Lots of coil whine is in the higher frequency spectrum, where it's the most annoying. Plenty of folk 40+ that have lost 30-50% of their hearing, many either don't realize this or they are in denial.

Test you hearing here >

I've used around 6 3080 and 3090's in total and currently have a 4090. All have coil whine in some form. My strix 4090 is quieter, but still audible.
40 and lose track around 14.9 ish

Test you hearing here >

I can hear from the beginning to 18000 Hz and don't have noticeable coil whine on my 3070.

One thing to remember with the Youtube video audio tests, is that some videos have their audio capped and don't actually play anything above a certain threshold. Whilst when you do have an audio file that can play all the way, that sometimes the speakers that are being used may not reproduce the sound properly either.

Whilst when you do have an audio file that can play all the way, that sometimes the speakers that are being used may not reproduce the sound properly either.

Very good point. I've just checked and Creative Labs say the Katana v2 has a range of 50 Hz to 20 kHz. However, I started hearing noise at around 30 Hz.

Back
Top Bottom