• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How common is Coil Whine?

I've got to say, did you try swapping out the PSU? The only time I had it (a GTX 1080) it howled like a banshee but the PSU took a turn for the worse not long after I'm inclined to think the two are related. Never seen it since in regular use. That being said you will get whine if you have ridiculously high FPS in menus say, always limit to something close to maximum monitor refresh rate anything over is wasted effort on the gpu's part.
Hi. yes, I've used several PSUs.
I started with an EVGA 500w BR Bronze then move on to an NZXT C750W and then recently I upgraded to a Corsair RM850W 2019
Because of the zero fan RPM. But I still get coil whine :(
After reading this forum I guess I'm just extremely unlucky!

50s - could hear up to 13000Hz

My 3090FE whines like a Brummie F1 driver.
Never been bothered by another GPU. Can't hear my Inno3D 4090 at all.
I'm almost 38 and the sound went very quiet between 12 and 13 kHz and I couldn't hear anything after that. I didn't realise my hearing was that bad (unless it's my speakers that are to blame).

Last edited:
Anything that is switching 250+ watts 60+ times a second is going to whine, if it bothers you - buy the most powerful card you can e.g. 3090 / 4090 and turn the power limit down until the whine stops, on my 3090 this was around 250 watts and still got 90% performance.
*Note - 60 times a second is a bit conservative, you might actually find you can silently switch 300+ watts 60 times a second.. but on a high hz monitor you have no chance.

You say that, but when you find that different manufactures for the same gpu use different components capaciters etc and those aren't having the same problems as a similar board gpu from a different manufacture then I think can assume it comes down to what the manufactures are using for components and whatever else that is different on that board design. Too often i see people say change PSU and everything else but the actual graphics card being the culprit.

When people are trying to build a silent pc only to have 1 component ruining the whole thing maybe people should expect better from these graphic card manufactures.. I couldn't care less about RGB but noise factor absolutly is an issue for me.. any reviewers not bringing up the issue of noise level from a card at these prices might aswel be a shill.

Depends how old you are. Lots of coil whine is in the higher frequency spectrum, where it's the most annoying. Plenty of folk 40+ that have lost 30-50% of their hearing, many either don't realize this or they are in denial.

Test you hearing here >

I've used around 6 3080 and 3090's in total and currently have a 4090. All have coil whine in some form. My strix 4090 is quieter, but still audible.

i cant hear it over my coil whine.

Thanks. I've just fitted a new 6900XT OC formula as pushed by gibbo. I also bought a new 1000w PSU (not from here mind).

What I initially thought was coil whine from the GPU was actually coming from the PSU. Only a whoosh from the GPU fans under load yet the PSU sounds like a bag of nails up close up, so its gone back, with no replacement in sight due to xmas and the sodding strikes.

Last edited:
I can still hear very high frequencies at 41 and I really, really wish I couldn't. There is absolutely no benefit to it bar the ability to hear unpleasant electronic noises.

Had it on my r9 290, 1070 and 1070ti, definitely the cards. Not a gpu, but my ps5 has a bit as well when playing 60fps modes.

Never had one that is loud enough to hear across the room though. My case is on the desk next to me, and once the side panels on, I couldn't hear any of the cards, all needed side panel off and ear to it. Same for the ps5 as well, it's there, but have to mute tv and stick my ear to it at the right angle.

Never had a highish power card that is completely silent though, never been that lucky.

Back
Top Bottom