How do I argue this fine?

Soldato
I don't think fines are allowable. I've never allowed one.
This was kinda the point. I wouldn't expect in a million years my employer to pay such a thing, because there was no 'real' reason for it to be incurred. I was hoping that the obviousness of why a business wouldn't pay for it would make the implication of why he probably ought to just pay up.

Caporegime
OP
I’d post it up on fightback forums and see if there’s any mistakes in the ticket. When they rush it, as they often do, they frequently make mistakes. I’ve got away with a couple that way.

Failing that, assuming you have some kind of proof of the pipe issue in the office, you could send them a letter apologising and explaining the situation, occasionally they can be more sympathetic in the council office than the traffic wardens are. Nothing to lose anyway so worth a try.

Signed up to FBF, I'll see what they say.

I don't think fines are allowable. I've never allowed one.

My employer has already said I can claim it back as it was an emergency situation and this was the quickest way to get the damage under control (I can explain in more detail if necessary).

You don't.

Look at captain helpful over here :rolleyes:

If the PCN was empty and he took the photo claiming it as "evidence", surely that is some sort of fraud?

And this is the crux of it. I don't care about the money at this point as it won't come out of my pocket anyway, but what really irritated me was that the officer waited for me to get out the car and when I did, quickly stuck an empty envelope under my wipers and took a photo. Had it been done properly I'd happily pay it but the backhanded way he did it just ****** me off and has riled me up enough to fight it.

Caporegime
OP
This was kinda the point. I wouldn't expect in a million years my employer to pay such a thing, because there was no 'real' reason for it to be incurred. I was hoping that the obviousness of why a business wouldn't pay for it would make the implication of why he probably ought to just pay up.

To elaborate on this point a bit:

I drove to work early on a Saturday morning. Our £1.7m fit out was due to be handed over the following Monday and we were heading in to move all the desks and whatnot in to the new area. When I got there I saw water pouring out a pipe on to a fairly high traffic area. New walls, new carpets, the lot, all getting soaked and ruined, less than 48h before the area was due to go live (this fit out also took 4 months). There was no faffing, there was simply do whatever it takes to restrict damage, which I did. I could've parked in the back but the parking area there is quite cramped and there is always some dumbass in a LWB van blocking it all (this is from past experience) so I just parked out front, this way I could just turn around and head back. I knew what the risks were when I headed in but when my employer has to pay a £130 fine or wait another fortnight for the damage in their new fitout to be repaired, they wouldn't hesitate, hence why I chanced it.

They're awesome like that.

Soldato
I dont even bother appealing nowadays. Its a cashcow for them, scumbags. My last appeal went along the lines of...first offence, 20 mins overstay on a 3 hr free space, at my place of work as I was with a patient having a heart attack and waiting for paramedics...and they couldn't give a monkeys.

Soldato
I would try to go for the pay half option if you can.

Admittedly, I have argued fines a few times. The last 2 times were annoying.

I have a blue badge, and I was going to get some toilet roll from my wifes shop, we buy in bulk and she cannot carry it, and so we parked up, and her shop is about 40 feet from where we were, and its through a gap in the buildings, and the wife setup the badge for me, and I went in and got the bog roll and came out... I was about 5 minutes and even then I doubt it was that long.
The wan...The nice fellow was there writing a ticket.

When I asked why did I get a ticket and the car next to me did not, and he said that the time was wrong.

Now when my wife did,was set the clock face to 1 oclock, thinking that we would be here for an hour. ( I did explain this to her later on and she realised her error )

But what was even more irritating, is that on the letter, it said that I had been obvserved for the past 25 minutes... Now, this was clearly a total lie, and by absolute pure luck, I had just been to teh garage and filled up just before I came to the carpark.

I said this to the smug fu..... To the nice man and he still arrogantly said "Well fight it then.. If you can." - Based on the sickewning attitude of that, I posted off a photocopy of the parking ticket, and I highlighted the times that I was "Observed" from and to, I also sent a photocopy of the bill showing the time, and I said in the letter than I was disgusted at the lies that the ticket tit said and that if this matter is not dropped, that I will be taking legal action.

I got a letter back in under a week, with no appology, but they did tell me that the matter is dropped and that I did not have to pay a fine.

Then then other week, I was in the Cinema, and when I came out, there was a ticket in the yellow sick bag, and I was ticketed for not showing my badge progerly.
The thing is, that where my car was parked, was not actually in a Disabled bay!
There is a row of parking bays that are for the disabled, however, 2 of them do NOT have the disabled logo on them, plus, the line at the back, is white, its yellow on the disabled bays, but white on the non disabled bays.
So, I am not going to pay it, nor am I even going to waste my time contacting them.
I know that git who does this car park, and it is a private carpark and so the tickets are NOT enforceable by law. I have also taken pictures of the car park and the spot I was in, and so if they ever do contact me, I will tell them where to get off and I will see them in court.

Soldato
Probably easier to just take your plates off when using private carparks to avoid any hassle lol. Stick them on with velcro for easy removal :D

Caporegime
OP
If you knew it is wrong, if you knew it might result in a ticket, yet you STILL went and done it. Just pay the ticket clearly this ticket was a part of your calculation as sum worth paying for the bigger picture.

Correct, I was well aware of the implications but a) getting a fine sucks and b) it was the way the officer handled it which got my back up.

I'm going to fight it, purely because I'm a pig headed idiot.

Caporegime
Correct, I was well aware of the implications but a) getting a fine sucks and b) it was the way the officer handled it which got my back up.

I'm going to fight it, purely because I'm a pig headed idiot.

But it seems double stupid because you said it's not even your money, so you are wasting your time for something that is not your problem? as for the way the officer handled it...if you hadn't parked there then he wouldn't have to handle anything? If I had seen him then I would just ask him to write it and hand it over. There is no point talking or arguing.

I've had these "calculations" before too, like shooting a wedding at a church where the on-street parking outside is like 1hr and I know I will be over by a bit. At the word go, I have accepted the consequences if it comes. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime and all that.

Caporegime
OP
But it seems double stupid because you said it's not even your money, so you are wasting your time for something that is not your problem?

I've had these "calculations" before too, like shooting a wedding at a church where the on-street parking outside is like 1hr and I know I will be over by a bit. At the word go, I have accepted the consequences if it comes. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime and all that.

As I said, I'm a man of principle. Sneaking an empty envelope on to my windscreen just for a quick photo so you can screw me over 10 days before Christmas is as low as it gets (don't think I have any more victim cards unless anyone else has any suggestions?), hence me wanting to fight it.

Had it been fair, square and above board I'd shake it off and assume the position but when you're that kniving you can expect some resistance. Might lead to nothing, might win, who knows.

Stay tuned ;)

Caporegime
As I said, I'm a man of principle. Sneaking an empty envelope on to my windscreen just for a quick photo so you can screw me over 10 days before Christmas is as low as it gets (don't think I have any more victim cards unless anyone else has any suggestions?), hence me wanting to fight it.

Had it been fair, square and above board I'd shake it off and assume the position but when you're that kniving you can expect some resistance. Might lead to nothing, might win, who knows.

Stay tuned ;)
Ultimately you were bang to rights and knew it, he / she / it was just doing their crappy job.

Pay up and move on with life.

Caporegime

Stay tuned ;)

If you are a man of principle then you pay the fine that you knew it is coming.

Caporegime
OP
No. Dammit can't you lot tell I'm stubborn as an ox :D

I will win this war for the small man and we shall dance around the campfire and bathe in the confetti of a torn up parking fine.

Soldato
Ultimately you were bang to rights and knew it, he / she / it was just doing their crappy job.

Pay up and move on with life.

But they didn't do their job, they put an empty package on the screen and lied.

They are supposed to write the ticket, stick it on the windscreen and then take the photo as proof you were there. Not write the ticket after you have already driven off.

Caporegime
But they didn't do their job, they put an empty package on the screen and lied.

They are supposed to write the ticket, stick it on the windscreen and then take the photo as proof you were there. Not write the ticket after you have already driven off.
There is no requirement for them to attach the ticket or observe the parked car for any length of time, if there was, mobile parking vans that have cameras wouldn’t work.

By the OP’s admission he’d started to write (or issue) the PCN, what he did or didn’t do with the envelope is irrelevant.
If a council traffic warden has issued a PCN but not yet attached it to your vehicle, the council has the power to request the car’s registered details from the DVLA and can send you postal PCN.

They will already have your vehicle registration number so will be able to trace you through that.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/traffic-wardens/
I hope he gets away with it, nobody likes parking Nazis, but I don’t see it happening tbh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom