how do I bar a thread showing up on a forum page

Commissario
I use to think that, but lately I rather see it as time not wasted to even read the post they write, life is too short, even for a split second. It's not worth it, not even that much.
I'm the same - There are a couple of people I'd rather like to put on ignore and I did try it to see how well it worked. The ignore feature does work very well now and while I was testing it, I didn't even notice that they'd posted.
Sadly, I had to take them off ignore. It's not easy to moderate if you can't see the posts.

Permabanned
I use to think that, but lately I rather see it as time not wasted to even read the post they write, life is too short, even for a split second. It's not worth it, not even that much.

It's like I am not into reading Mums Net, if there is an entire section of the forum like mum's net, I would put that on ignore, save me a click. Slowly it all adds up. It's all about making the viewing experience more concise. Making this sentence Bold and Underline in case people miss this.

Plus, there is also the idea that you rise about it, don't interact with them, this is just taking it to the next level, don't read them, not even a glance, make it disappear. It's the same thing as not reading their posts/threads, no difference at all. If they want to bicker and quote me, let them talk to thin air.

Fair enough. Personally, it doesn't feel healthy to redact viewpoints that challenge my own, especially if there's a chance that those viewpoints will make me challenge my own beliefs more critically.

Caporegime
Fair enough. Personally, it doesn't feel healthy to redact viewpoints that challenge my own, especially if there's a chance that those viewpoints will make me challenge my own beliefs more critically.

It's not about redact viewpoints that challenge my own, I don't put a brand new member on ignore but people I have observed for years, and many over a decade and pasts experiences tell me my interactions between us are more troubled than its worth (time and effort, and blood pressure!). In a way it is healthier not to engage, nip that in the bud by not even reading it.

We all know the one who always criticise people's purchase on everything, 1, it's a pointless exercise because the item has already been bought, 2, it's always done in a patronising way, like he knows better, on every single thing. I don't want to read that, after like a decade it becomes tedius, plus I tend to read the post first, not username and almost always after a few lines of text I get an idea who it is and look to the left and goes "why am I not surprised its him again". by that time I've started reading. I just rather not to at all.

Sure, once in a blue moon I would probably miss a gem of a post, but I am happy for that trade off vs the time spent arguing with them, or reading them. Besides, nothing they write I can't find on Google and like I said, I have read enough of their posts to know where they are coming from and frankly I know what they are going to say before they even say it half the time.

At the end of the day, there is zero difference between reading it and not replying vs not reading it at all. Both ways they have no idea whether I read it or not. It's not about being coward, but if people think somehow they are being brave behind a keyboard by reading a post, they are free to have that opinion, it's just I am also free not to agree or even read it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's not about redact viewpoints that challenge my own, I don't put a brand new member on ignore but people I have observed for years, and many over a decade and pasts experiences tell me my interactions between us are more troubled than its worth (time and effort, and blood pressure!). In a way it is healthier not to engage, nip that in the bud by not even reading it.

We all know the one who always criticise people's purchase on everything, 1, it's a pointless exercise because the item has already been bought, 2, it's always done in a patronising way, like he knows better, on every single thing. I don't want to read that, after like a decade it becomes tedius, plus I tend to read the post first, not username and almost always after a few lines of text I get an idea who it is and look to the left and goes "why am I not surprised its him again". by that time I've started reading. I just rather not to at all.

Sure, once in a blue moon I would probably miss a gem of a post, but I am happy for that trade off vs the time spent arguing with them, or reading them. Besides, nothing they write I can't find on Google and like I said, I have read enough of their posts to know where they are coming from and frankly I know what they are going to say before they even say it half the time.

At the end of the day, there is zero difference between reading it and not replying vs not reading it at all. Both ways they have no idea whether I read it or not. It's not about being coward, but if people think somehow they are being brave behind a keyboard by reading a post, they are free to have that opinion, it's just I am also free not to agree or even read it.

The 'coward' term was tongue in cheek. ;)

Soldato
OP
I only asked a simple question that required a simple yes or no.

Now if I could bar a thread this is the first one I would bar - I have never read such ???? - I wish I had never bothered - There again it is GD and I should have known better.

Associate
Blocking threads in certain subjects would be nice, to cut down the number you see when you click on "New Posts" that you are nor interested in, like Sports Arena, Apple software & hardware, Music etc

Back
Top Bottom