How do people generally have their storage drives setup?

Associate
Some of my offline hard drives have been failing abruptly with the click of death when I attempt to power them on again and with no spares left to make more copies thought it'd be a good time to finally get a tape drive setup to do proper back ups. Went with a used LTO 5 drive + 37TB of tapes which came to £150 in total. One of my USB hard drives (which annoyingly had some data on it I hadn't made another copy of) died the instant I plugged it into the tape drive computer to create a back-up copy just after it was used 1 minute earlier in another computer. I can only think pulling the 12v DC power cable out was what killed it even though I've done it that way hundreds of times.

Soldato
On my previous PC I had:
1x 1TB Samsung 830 SSD for Windows
1x 2TB Samsung 840 SSD for games
2x 1TB Samsung HDD in Raid 0 for documents and photos

Tragically, I lost both my HDDs and 2TB SSDs somehow with nothing recoverable. Thankfully I also had a NAS where everything had been backed up until last year.

In my new PC I have:
1x 2TB WD SN850X NVMe for Windows and files
1x 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe for games

My files are now backed up on OneDrive but I need to reset up my NAS.

Soldato
Currently I have

Gaming PC:
1x 1tb nvme wd black 750 I think as os/apps drive
1x 2tb same drive as games/media
A couple of SATA SSDs also as backups, just for music and docs, not bulk storage

Daily driver PC, is just SATA SSDs
240gb samsung evo os drive
240gb music/docs backup... kingston something or other
1tb Samsung QVO for games/general media

Associate
I stupidly built an ITX system about 3 years ago now, was a Node 304 so i had the idea of sticking 6 big high capacity drives in it, the GPU is ever so slightly too long to get the last two cages in, so I've currently got about 6-7 external WD MyBook's hooked up.

I desperately need those 24TB drives to come down in price. For years I bought drives that only gave me an extra couple terabytes of space on the previous drive I had, they evaporates extremely quickly with 4k video files and ever increasing game file sizes.

Back
Top Bottom