How do you cook your rice?

Soldato
That^:D.

I still believe women are ultimately responsible for cooking for husbands/boyfriends and families although I can cook lots of south asian dishes myself like pakistani/indian.

Then I pity your gf / wife :p

As a man I love cooking stuff for myself. It's not the responsbility of either person to do something.

Butter in rice though? O.o

Soldato
I haven't cooked loose rice in ages but it goes like that, 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water. Bring it to boil then leave the lid on and cook on very small fire.

Wash rice beforehand.

Soldato
After it's boiled and in the sieve make sure you pour boiling water through the rice. Im sure that will take away some of the "sticky-ness" of it.

Soldato
For long grain

1. Whack the rice into a pot.
2. Added water so its 2" above the rice, add bit of salt.
3. Boil till water level reached rice level.
4. Lower the gas and put lid on the pot.
5. If needed add half a cup more water.
6. Serve and eat.

Soldato
Found a great way to cook rice from my dad.

1. Soak the rice in a pan of water for 15 minutes
2. Empty the rice into a sieve and run under water until the water runs clear
3. Put a drop of oil into a pan and once the pan is warmed slightly throw the rice in and cook with no water for about 10-15 seconds. Always remembering to stir the rice
4. Fill the pan with water to just over the rice, add whatever flavourings, if any, you like to the rice, put the lid on the pan and let it cook till the water is almost gone.

Voila, rice that is not claggy and bloody tasty.

Soldato
Rice cooking 101.
Basic simple rice. - Get this right the rest will follow

1 cup basmati rice
1 & just under a half cups water boiling water.
bit of salt

combine the above in a microwave safe dish cover well. (i use a plate)

Micro for 3 mins

Leave 5 mins ish.

Micro 3 mins.

leave 5 mins.

During the micro/wait part don't open the lid! You've accounted for the steam etc ;) No need to stir till itsready to eat.

Eat :)

It can't over cook as i can't absorb water that isn't there. :)

P.S. never buy easy/quick cook rice.

Same works for cooking on the hob.

A rice cooker is doing the same job as the micro, keeping the water hot. I'm just saving you the trouble of buying one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wash 1 cup of rice (Put rice in sieve and run water from the tap over it) and put in a pan.
Add 2 cups cold of water to pan and bring to boil
Put on lid (must be tight fitting) and simmer for 8 mins
Take off heat and leave with lid on for 8-10 min

Do not remove the lid until the rice is ready or it won't come out right. If you use a heavy pan with a tight fitting lid it comes out best. If not - use a tea towel between the pan and the lid (make sure the tea towel is folded up so it doesn't get burned).

Pretty much the same idea as Jonny69s method really :)

Soldato
Part cook the rice (good quality basmati) with a little oil and salt, drain. Then get a suitable dish and line with oil/butter and then potatoes or wraps and put the rice on top.

Heat on a hob at a low heat or in the oven.

Rice becomes light and fluffy, doesnt stick together, tastes great. Wraps/potatoes become crispy and stop the rice from sticking.

Back
Top Bottom