How do you deal with substandard cutlery when dining out?

Soldato
So when ever I dine out at restaurants, I often find my self having to request alternate cutlery from the staff as the cutlery provided by default often feels poor quality (thin and tinny). It is quite odd that this occurs, as many of these places are very lush in every other aspect, but they seem to always skimp on cutlery. Anyhow does anyone else have the same issue? In some scenarios no alternate cutlery is available of course, but always worth asking.

And leading on from this, when dining at other peoples houses like friends or family how do you get around this issue? It feels rude to ask for alternate cutlery in that scenario.

Cheers guys
Do you have a local reputation for stealing other peoples decent cutlery by any chance?

Associate
After this thread I feel like buying an expensive set of cutlery to see if it makes any difference as I've never really thought about it and would happily use Asda's own

Soldato
If the food is so bad that I am distracted by the weight and balance of the fork, then the weight of the fork is the least of my problems.
Just whatever you are used to I suppose. It's like I hate preparing food with crap kit, properly weighted knives make a lot of difference. If you go for a fine dining experience then decent cutlery makes a difference too IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I can eat with plastic forks if needed but I'm a bit weird and fussy and I get where the OP is coming from. :p

Caporegime
Just whatever you are used to I suppose. It's like I hate preparing food with crap kit, properly weighted knives make a lot of difference. If you go for a fine dining experience then decent cutlery makes a difference too IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I can eat with plastic forks if needed but I'm a bit weird and fussy and I get where the OP is coming from. :p

Some of the most delicious food i ate with disposible chopsticks.

Permabanned
I dread to think what some minimum wage kitchen staff member has done to your dish (especially in these times of a global pandemic) when the chortling has stopped over your requests. Has anywhere ever removed the Viners and broken out the Carrs sterling silver at your request? The last time I saw sterling silver on a restaurant table was Browns in London in the early seventies.I well remember my late father virtually needing smelling salts when he paid the bill, it was my late and rather snobbish mother's idea to "push the boat out" and stay somewhere a bit special.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom