How high is your cooker hood/extractor?

Soldato
Yet another question, where we feel like we're re-inventing the wheel! This seems to be happening a lot..

Our quartz slab cutting plan is going to give us a max of 750mm (possibly 800mm if we're lucky) high for the splashback. Units are 900mm high so that gives us 1650mm as the height to the bottom of the cooker hood. Measuring this up, it seems awfully low :confused:

It's a chimney-style so sticks out 600mm I think. The hood that was in the kitchen originally seemed very low and it annoyed the heck out of us (but of course we didn't measure it :o )

How high is yours? Would you sit the hood slightly above the splashback to get more height, or would that look weird?

You could sit it above.

Have you thought about a slight different style? Our hood was going to be fairly low and a annoying hight for my head, so our hood is build on a 45° angle giving ample head room even though the lowest point of the hood is pretty low but that's out the way against the wall.

There is absolutely no way, when we finally fit a new kitchen, that we will be getting a traditional cooker hood. I have cracked my head on the current one far, far too many times. It enrages me.
We will either get one that angles up from the wall so it's way above head height at the front, or one built into the worktop. Probably the former to waste less space.

I moved into a house with what I thought was a rather ugly cooker hood (looks a bit like a TV slapped on the wall).

It wasn't until I tried cooking round my parents and continually bashed my head on their traditional style one that I realised the genius in the modern design.

How high should it be? High enough that you don't hit your head on it.

Last edited:
It's just the very first one that pops up, so no recommendation here, but this is the type of thing I mean:

That's the kind of thing I've got. Ugly as hell, but also, absolute genius. Can thoroughly recommend.

Our old one used to sit just above my eye line so in my brains world it was ok to lean forwards to eg sniff a pan
In the real world it meant I would forever bang my forehead or top of my head on the bloody thing

Best thing was when I redid the kitchen I found that the builders had mis drilled the hole for the extraction. It was 95% blocked with the flexi hose they had used almost blocked being squeezed to get out of the hole.

I installed an in cupboard one in new kitchen, which took some time! and as such I could route the hose up inside the cupboard (boxed it in) and have an offset hose that was at an angle but not restricted.
Its lovely and sleek, just a roughly 3cm line of stainless below the cupboard which you pull forwards to switch on / access controls.
Your really supposed to add a piece of trim to the front so it matches your cupboards but we have a stainless range underneath so it looks great with this stainless line sitting above anyway.

manufacturer overrides regs so whatever user manual says.

Obviously you don't fit kitchens (i do), your not Gas Safe registered (i am).
Just for your information, the regs state the minimum height a for hood over a gas hob is 750mm from the top of the burners (not the worktop), that normally works out at about 800mm above the worktop.
There is also an override in those regs that state the gas hob manufacturer can stipulate a minimum height. I have never fitted a gas hob yet that didn't stipulate a 750mm minimum above the hob burners.
Hood manufacturers have NO say as far as the regs on the height of their hoods, only the hob manufacturers.

@kitfit1 At no point did I state a minimum height I merely stated that manufactures instruction override gas reg, I've seen plenty of older ones at 600mm which would be not to current standard should that caveat still exist.

@kitfit1 At no point did I state a minimum height I merely stated that manufactures instruction override gas reg, I've seen plenty of older ones at 600mm which would be not to current standard should that caveat still exist.
750mm above the burners has been the minimum height for the last 35 years to my certain knowledge, even under CORGI.
If you have seen them at 600mm, then they were fitted illegally even if it was 35 years ago.

Best thing was when I redid the kitchen I found that the builders had mis drilled the hole for the extraction. It was 95% blocked with the flexi hose they had used almost blocked being squeezed to get out of the hole.
We’ve never had an extractor that actually vents out, all of our previous ones in rented places were just circulating things. It’s very exciting, although I’m sure my OCD other half will still complain about cooking smells :o

Back
Top Bottom