How long does your PC take to boot?

Soldato
Roughly 5 minutes.
And what I have to do is take the keyboard off, turn it on, wait until it boots and then put it back in (laptop) else it won't post.

It's a bit knackered I'll give you that. Building a rig on payday though, long overdue, this piece of crap is specced way below my needs and it's falling apart.

Associate
Love the instant boot BIOS on my laptop. Alongside my SSD and the very important No GUI boot option in msconfig a cold boot (from pressing the power button) is 14 seconds :D

Associate
Just out of curiosity how much faster is boot on a SATA 6Gb/s capable chipset compared to SATA 3Gb/s? My laptop has a HM55 chipset which is SATA 3Gb/s only.

Associate
Tried it first time after reading this thread and it was 24 seconds, but thats with the bios scanning and controllers sorting them selves out, then realised i must beable to cut that time down as others here have way quicker than mine, so disabled some onboard bits... and now from cold start to win7 desktop 17seconds and on this 17th second everything is loaded and instant from there on...

2600k @ 4.4, 64gb vertex2 SSD... i dont know how i could get is any quicker...

How are peps getting the 12 sec make?

Associate
Tried it first time after reading this thread and it was 24 seconds, but thats with the bios scanning and controllers sorting them selves out, then realised i must beable to cut that time down as others here have way quicker than mine, so disabled some onboard bits... and now from cold start to win7 desktop 17seconds and on this 17th second everything is loaded and instant from there on...

2600k @ 4.4, 64gb vertex2 SSD... i dont know how i could get is any quicker...

How are peps getting the 12 sec make?

Disabling the Windows boot animation speeds it up a good deal and also doing the force install method for Intel Chipset drivers as the installer is buggy and doesn't update them properly otherwise.

Soldato
Right guys I have just tested my newly built system (specs in sig) and from pressing the power button, it took a total of 42 seconds, to get to the desktop and then I waited for the loading circle next to the cursor to go away

I then went into msconfig and checked the box that says 'No GUI boot', this took of 2 seconds

Is there any other ways I could speed this up??

It 'wastes' 7 seconds sitting at the ASUS screen at the start, "Press delete to enter BIOS settings". Is there any way that I can make it spend less time at this screen, or even better make it so that the screen does not normally show, and I just access the BIOS/make the screen show another way if I need to

Hope you can help, :)

EDIT: I booted 3 times so far with 'No GUI boot', and one of these times it would not get past a screen where I just saw a black screen with an 'E' with an accent on top of it, and a flashing underscore. Is this related to the 'no GUI boot' as it has never happened before. When I tapped the power button it turned off instantly, so I learnt the other day that this means the windows kernel has not started loading yet

Last edited:
Associate
interesting first reply...it usually takes me a least 2 mins to curl one out in the morning

I am talking about the time it takes your computer to turn on and go into windows, not go to the toilet, eat cereal or play a game!?

This reply made me laugh that much I nearly spit me dinner out.:D

Soldato
Is there any other ways I could speed this up??

Why do those looking for a quicker boot not simply use sleep mode instead of shutdown? It's hard to beat the 2 seconds taken to resume from sleep mode! Plus you're not only saving the boot time, but the time taken to get your applications back to the point where they were before shutdown!

Caporegime
Tested just now with bootracer.

bootmr.jpg

Loads msn, afterburner, xonar control centre, avast and a few desktop system monitoring utilities. Os drive is a 120gb vertex 2e bigfoot.

Soldato
Why do those looking for a quicker boot not simply use sleep mode instead of shutdown? It's hard to beat the 2 seconds taken to resume from sleep mode! Plus you're not only saving the boot time, but the time taken to get your applications back to the point where they were before shutdown!

I was told that sleep mode kills SSD's very fast as they do lots of reads and writes?

Soldato
Just run bootracer and I got:

Time to logon: 6 seconds
Time to desktop: 14 seconds
User logon waiting time: 0 seconds (as I have no password, I assume)

But literally timing the computer, before I even installed bootracer, from turning the PC on until waiting for the loading circle next to the cursor to disappear takes 40 seconds

Any way to speed that up?

Anyone have an answer for my previous question:
It 'wastes' 7 seconds sitting at the ASUS screen at the start, "Press delete to enter BIOS settings". Is there any way that I can make it spend less time at this screen, or even better make it so that the screen does not normally show, and I just access the BIOS/make the screen show another way if I need to

Associate
Anyone have an answer for my previous question:

Does your BIOS not have an option to quick boot? Disable logo screen?

Back
Top Bottom