How many hours is your computer on per day

Soldato
Curio said:
I'd love to be able to leave our PC's on 24/7 but the wife won't stand for it on account of the noise and the electricity wastage. So, usually on all day and then turned off at night.

It uses like 4p an hour :p

Silence it and then give her 4p per hour until she just gives in :D

Mine is on 24/7 unless the light goes when i'm out or something, honestly no reason to turn it off considering how little power they use when idle and the good things they can do while under load :)

Associate
I leave my PC on for most of the day but I prefer to turn it off when I go to bed.
I would guess that it is on for around 12 -14 hours a day though obviously I don't sit in front of it for that length of time :eek:

I carry on with other everyday activities and just leave it in an idle state.
However my monitor automatically switches itself off as I have set the power options to 15 minutes of inactivity and just as well as I have a 20" CRT monitor which uses a fair amount of power!

Soldato
About an hour a day for one PC, probably less.

I also ensure that none of my other supporting equipment is on standby and is properly turned off when I shut everything down.

I used to leave stuff on and on standby, but the electricity bills were taking the smeg, so I changed to turning everything "off at the wall" as the wife puts it - and using the PC less and less, and have seen my bills plummet (and two kids arriving, she's not as smart as she thinks she is...)

Why do you all need PCs running 24/7? Downloads? Proxy/BNC? IIS? Apache? FTP? All of the above?

Man of Honour
Soldato
Mr^B said:
Why do you all need PCs running 24/7? Downloads? Proxy/BNC? IIS? Apache? FTP? All of the above?

Some are FTP servers, some are HTTP servers, one is a firewall, all the others are there for general use and to feed my distributed computing addiction. I'm up to 30 GHz in my home alone with a total of 85 active CPUs in the last 50 days.

Last month's electricity bill was $65. That's not bad at all in my book.

Soldato
Mr^B said:
My computer is always on becasue I run distributed computing, my girlfriend e-mails during the day, has MSN convo's and I hate to wait for the computer to boot up if I want to see if I have an e-mail or MSN message

Associate
My laptop/old rig are on from about 3.30 onawards till 10 on weekdays and from 10 in the morn till 12 at night on weekends.

My new rig isnt on at all atm as I cant use it till my bday lol.

Mul

Mul

Associate
about 5:45pm to 10pm during the weekdays and 10am to 10pm on weekends.
Server is on 24/7 of course.

Mul

Back
Top Bottom