How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Googled them and I see they are Renesas MCUs and IDE. I guess you that's what you get when the chips are so expensive, or they were last time I looked. Although I'd still like to hear in what way they are so better

Ooops sorry @Feek I vomitted a couple of sentences in there that made no sense.

The software/development Ecosystem for the Pi Pico is particularly un-user friendly, this is something that Arduino excel at.

And on to Arduino, the Arduino UNO has moved from the trusty old Atmega328 to a Modern Renesas RA4M1 ARM-M4 based MCU. This gives you this really friendly easy to setup and use EcoSystem, but with something much more modern. Albeit at a higher price point (£19 for an Uno R4 Minima vs £4.80 for the Pico 2). Then once you hit a point where you want to get closer to the hardware, have more control and leave the layers of Abstraction Arduino gives you to make everything that little bit easier (but less) efficient, you can swap to bare metal, or using the Renesas IDE and toolchain quite easily still with your Arduino board

Googled them and I see they are Renesas MCUs and IDE. I guess you that's what you get when the chips are so expensive, or they were last time I looked. Although I'd still like to hear in what way they are so better

If we're comparing the Renesas MCU to an equivalent STM32, it's horses for courses, and I'd say very much a case of pick your poison. I've spent more time working with STM32s than I have any Renesas ARM MCUs, but on the whole have spent more time with Renesas products as a whole (Mostly SuperH and RH850)

Just setup cups on a Pi to turn my 20 y/o HP laserjet into a wireless printer. Honestly I wish I'd done it about 10 years ago - we've had so much use out of it!

And my Pico 2 boards were delivered today. Luckily no one pinched them from my doorstep as I was out all day and the PO failed to respect my request to keep them at the sorting office for me to collect at my own convenience!

Any plans for them?
Now there's a question. I'm hoping the people at PicoMite (https://geoffg.net/picomite.html) will be supporting it but other than that nothing immediate. I've been following the 6502neo project and would love to do something similar for the 6809. Sadly time, and often energy, are getting in the way of that project just now. I've also been playing with the SidecarTridge, a cartridge addon for the old Atari ST, and the developer there is already looking at it for future enhancements.

Probably a bit blinkered of me but I have no particular interest in the Risc-V cores just now.

I bought a Pi 2W and an e-ink hat to have a tinker with

lyUo45yl.jpeg

This is my first attempt using Python, it uses some API's to get weather and energy data.

My first time using Python (I might have used ChatGPT and Co-Pilot a bit....), really enjoyed it.

I bought a Pi 2W and an e-ink hat to have a tinker with

lyUo45yl.jpeg

This is my first attempt using Python, it uses some API's to get weather and energy data.

My first time using Python (I might have used ChatGPT and Co-Pilot a bit....), really enjoyed it.
I really like that. Tell us more about that display.

I really like that. Tell us more about that display.

The Pi and screen came from The Pi Hut, the display comes as a hat.

They had bigger displays but they didn’t have the resolution for lots of text, this one is 800 x 480.
I could go for an LCD screen, but I wanted to have a play with an e-ink screen.

The Python code uses the same APIs as https://gridwatch.co.uk (Elexon and Sheffield Uni).
I’m going to run the code through an AI to see how it re-factors it, might be interesting.

Next change is to add tide information.

Any guide available? Anything to bear in mind?
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki/Raspberry-Pi has install details.

Pretty straightforward. Clean pi install using the raspberry pi imager with the lite version of the os, with ssh enabled. The install guard home when the pi is running.

I have a separate server running various docker containers and use adguard sync to keep the 2 adguard home instances synced so only have to change settings on the primary one.

I run a single Pi 3b 4GB that does all of my goodies.

Pi-hole
DNS to DoH
Nzbget
Transmission
MiniDLNA/ReadyMedia (UPnP devices)
Jellyfin (modern, browser-based devices)
USB to SATA with an MX500 SSD for storage

Quiet as a mouse (passively cooled), draws virtually no power and just works. I have the internal storage in read-only and update it every few months. I block DNS (53 TCP/UDP) outbound on the firewall to prevent non-encrypted DNS requests from leaking out of my network.

One of the better investments that I have made in computing in a very long time. I've had servers, NAS, etc. in the past, but the RPI is perfect for my needs.

I have 1 raspberry pi 4 and 3.
Used to use a 3 as a easy KODI machine (libreelec/openelec) to play my own local files.
Got a 4 to be able to play H265 files, then eventually got a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 on a good deal that popped up.

The 4 is in use as a kodi box upstairs for something on in the background while working. 3 is in the drawer :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom