How many times have you dialled 999?

Associate
Once when I wrote my car off in a deer related incident and it was stuck in the middle of a dark road, middle of the night with the lights dead as I was worried someone would come round the corner and crash into it.

Once when one homeless looking drunk guy stabbed another in some random moment when I was walking home from work across Green Park. Slightly surreal.

Soldato
i've phoned every emergency service once

fire - when someone set fire to an industrial bin
police - when my car got broken into
ambulance - when my friend got ko'ed (by his missus)

Associate
I work in a buidling with about 4500+ members of staff. I've done it so many times i've lost count. People collapsing, lift entrapments, suspect packages you name it.

The best one was some knobhead waiting for a job interview in a government building. He decided to kill time by going out shopping and purchasing an M16 replica BB gun. He returned, placed his baggage onto an x-ray scanner and the poor bloke operating the scanner nearly fell of his chair backwards when saw the screen. The 999 call was very interesting, I had to request an ATO to inspect the BB gun to ensure it wasn't real. Common sense fail.

Associate
Many, many times.

First two occassions to report drink drivers I was behind. Next was a ****** boy racer who reverse-handbraked his Nissan Micra onto it's roof. 5 occupants smoking, petrol everywhere etc.

Then I joined the military. In the mil, 999 is 222. The mil equivalent. Bit if you phone 222, you generally get a retard answer the phone, so it was quicker and easier to dial 999.

Associate
Only once when some chavs decided to jump me and my friends for no reason. (unless not having cigs counts). Managed to dial it but it got dropped as it was ringing whilst I was dodging a punch, the battery fell out on hitting the floor. After they ran away worse for ware I found my phone balancing on the edge of a drain, put it back together and got a phone call back almost immediately. Police picked the guys up but they'd switched shirts or something as our description didn't match (apparently "bleeding from the face" can't be used to identify someone).

Soldato
Twice - many years back when I spotted some guy face down in the gutter on a busy main road and the next was last year, driving down the M4 when suddenly in my headlights in lane 1 is a wrecked small car. Pulled over and found a trail of blood heading towards a very steep bank down off the motorway. Police and ambulance turned up in double quick time as it turned out the 3 occupants were with another driver at the next emergency phone (despite being 15 or so feet from one behind them).

The funniest thing was the operator asked "how can you be sure it's been in an accident". The fact it was 3ft shorter than normal, had no glass left in the windows and still hand a section of the central reservation barrier sticking out the of the grill was a slight clue.

Soldato
Apparently as a baby/toddler I once found the phone and kept pressing the number 9. This went on long enough for a policeman to come around the house to try to talk sense into the child wasting the time of the emergency services.

Soldato
once

we had a fire in the roof of our old house in the middle of the night I woke up first and was the first thing I did

Back
Top Bottom