• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how much better is the 7970 over the 670?

Permabanned
OP
Yes i understand we can all make the basic PC without a high end case for under 1k but the Silverstone Fortress is £200 quid alone, ive decided to go with this case.

Also the ASUS 7970 because of how quiet it is, ive been told its not voltage locked? It does take up 3 slots though!!! Is it worth going MIS LTG for this problem? I maybe CF in the future?

I know im picky about cases and that is a really good case though, the quality is one of the best around.

About the SSD are you sure its not just you? because ive read nowhere about it having problems?

Btw i changed the RAM to faster RAM sorry for not updating.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Its not throwing away though, Look at my Cosmos S it was like £250 4 years back its been amazing.

Ive had bad cases before and its a nightmare! Id keep the cosmos S and save myself a fortune but im selling it with my old PC.

I know other cases will be "just" as good but not as good.

I do know what your saying the case that comes with this setup is a zalman £60 quid case i could pay £30 more and get the one above but i want a high end case.

Its also not saving much by going part by part, some people are saying £300 and even with lesser parts its not £300 and im not gonna sacrafice my SSD size, noway!

The card would save £100 thats the only major saving to be had apart from the case.

Permabanned
OP
Well i am paying for looks and ive told u that, this is why i wont get the HAF X lol, its ugly!

The Silverstone is also a lot better quality overall. the 90 degress layout is a nice touch also ;)

I think overall £100 for the looks is worth it? I maybe crazy but i do like my cases. It also allows me to watercool in the future if needed, specially with the new consoles.

I could do this with the HAF X easily but again that poor sod is UGLY!

I guess £200 is a nice saving rusty so you were right if i sacrafice card and case i can get £200 back. But i think these 2 changes are worth it, a silent GPU along with a quieter, cooler and more sexy case.

Nah i love the Noctua ;)

I only picked 8GB

Permabanned
OP
What do you mean rusty? Ofc the silverstone is better build quality then the HAF X! It uses much better materials for starters, i know its not on looks with a cosmos s but its better then the HAF X.

Link me some cases you think are similar and i will check them im not ruling anything out yet but i have my mind on certain things that will be hard to change.

The phantom does look better but i dunno about the build quality.

Permabanned
OP
Changed the SSD to an Intel one lol!

Im dropping the 7970 for a 7950 also, i hope i dont lose too much performance.

Now for the case. I dont wanna swap the card for a noisy exhaust fan they do my head in!

God whys it so complicated to build a pc :\

Permabanned
OP
OK so new build is this!

Silverstone Fortress FT02 Case, i dunno what this GPU problem is with this case? how will the ASUS card peform bad here? The case should suck out all the hot air.

Core i5 3570K overclocked

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard

16GB Corsair 1600MHz Memory (2 x 8GB) maybe drop to 8GB save cash

Asus 7970 Direct CU II Video Card drop maybe drop this to a 7950 and save some more cash? this will be my biggest save.

Intel 330 Series 240GB SSD (this is better than the Corsair)

2000GB SATA III HDD the difference between 1 and 2TB is very little so maybe keep the 2TB?

LG Blu Ray Writer

Corsair CX750W PSU

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler

Anyways Rusty link me some nice cases £100+ mark pref nothing above £150.

Link some of the ones you personally knows good also.

Ill order tomoz so need nail all these problems creeping up, already nailed the SSD problem, i hope this one is just as quick!.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Check out the Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB 2400C11 kit's that just got released in November, they are really cheap - under £40, OcUK need to stock them, I splashed out on 2x8GB kit, plus UK RMA base.

Forget Corsair, it's all name and expense...! Kingston biggest RAM/Memory producer in the world - fact, loads cheaper for same performance.

SSD's, go for Crucial, or Kingston - they have UK RMA warranty, also Intel is good, they will pick it up by courier if it fails.

As for graphics cards, if money is tight get the 7950 best for price/performance ratio, otherwise if you got £200+ spare income a week, buy any card you want, it won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things will it lol.

I went with a HAF X case, it's a good case - great cooling, better than Corsair fashion victim cases anyway lol.

I know i maybe going on a bit but £1150 is not pocket money, im not over complicating it its a big choice and has to last around 3 years :\ So id like to nail it!

I am listening to people and swapping bits around each time and i think ive went off the fortress, just been looking at some vids and the fans all aim to the top so ill hear everything! i doubt it will be good for noise control :|

According to these

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti/29/

I think i would notice it, the 7970 is a good chunk ahead sometimes.

I have swapped it for the Intel SSD now i just hope its as quick it seems to have lower write speeds?

RAM is RAM im not paying any extra for it.

I also went into the Cosair case and it seems a bit crap too.

Permabanned
OP
You are overcomplicating it. It might seem/feel big to you but it's really not (again, I'm not saying that to be mean or harsh). The reason I've said you're not listening is because you keep asking the same questions that I've seen people answer multiple times, so you must not really be listening.

I didn't mean you won't notice a difference between a 7970 and a 7950, what I mean is that there is no reason why you shouldn't just get a 7950 and set the core speed to 1000Mhz.

You will not notice any difference between a 7970 and 7950 at 1000Mhz (which is a conservative overclock so more than doable).

You should be fine with a 120GB Intel SSD and a 2TB hard disk. The performance of them seems very high to me from what I've looked at (I haven't been able to test mine properly yet since I'm only on SATA 2 at the moment which bottlenecks the drives).

As I asked before, do you *need* a Bluray writer? I'm guessing not, so just get a Bluray reader, save some money there.

RAM isn't really RAM in terms of it's all the same, but generally for your usage it's best to get the cheapest 1600Mhz you can find, I would suggest 16GB over 8GB though, the difference in price isn't very large, and 16GB will be more likely to last you around 3 years.

The reason I'm saying you're dragging it out is because it feels like you've been asking these questions for ages now, but it's the sort of thing that really should take a few hours to choose.

I dont think building a new PC takes a couple of hours to choose lol, its gonna be there for atleast 3 years, ive got to pick wisely.

I know i maybe go on a bit but its just double checking, no harm in asking.

120GB will get used up very fast by windows, with 240GB i can fit a good few games on there too, it really is a big difference imo.

I think i can agree on the 7950 and that puts the extra cash away for a newer card in the future when needed, so i maybe get one of them, looking at the ASUS again i want a silent card and thats the best around so i dont really wanna change from that.

The blueray drive comes in the bundle as standard so its kinda like a freebie.

I maybe stay with 16GB but im sure 8GB of decent RAM is better then 16GB of crap RAM it actually does matter how good the RAM is.

Ive only been planning my PC for 2 days and the changes ive made have been good so if i just went yeah i get that, it would have been a mistake, see what i mean?

Permabanned
OP
Ive said this many times too, and 5UB has given me a good quote, who said im not ordering from OCUK?

Ive been talking with 5UB the last few days trying to sort something out and its getting better on price ;)

Alls i said is £130 wasnt worth it, i can get private insurance cheaper then that lol.

Its a forum at the end of the day, i know its OCUK but not everyone buys from here and still uses it. Many of the regs and probs even you buy elsewhere when theres a good saving its foolish not too.

Permabanned
OP
I thought that site was allowed as it uses everyones prices lol, ive seen a few people use it thats why i used it.

I havent used any company direct only that pricechecker thing. I got a warning for it too.
Ive seen it in like 4 threads in the system section lol

Yes thats bits and bobs OCUK has provided a quote similar with building and 2 years collect and return so i will use OCUK but i need bring it down a little bit first if they will.

£50 on a full pc is fine but over £100 is silly not to go elsewhere.

£50 on parts is pretty big.

Btw thats in games, RAM is not just for gaming :) Its how fast the overall PC reacts, theres a few benches ive been reading and the 16GB actually was slower then some of the 8GB setups, i would prefer 16GB medium range if i can.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I know how to assemble it, i contract for HP setting up PCs lol. Ive built PCs since my second PC, i remember installing the Tuniq tower in my crappy small case LOL, man that was huge, they even bigger these days!

Im not too good on overclocking as i never do that but ive overclocked this Q9450 to a stable 3.5 and it seems ok.

I just prefer it to be built and all under 1 tag so its easier, i guess im lazy too like you greg.

OCUK have knocked the £130 on the head i no longer pay that the issue is its still above the price i want by like £100+, and thats with the 7950 instead of the 7970!

Also wtf is up with steam it keeps going down?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I think its maybe because im a geordie? In person youd think different, i just type like i text i suppose, im not formal at all online :p

Nah im not clueless i can OC but not as good as the shops.

Yeah i wouldnt buy HP stuff tbh lol.

Its used everywhere by the government though, maybe this is why the country is in such a mess?

Lol whos mal ffs? Thats all you 2 say mal?

Permabanned
OP
I dunno how? If the card breaks i just return the card it doesnt work like that at all lol.

I would love to buy locally but even my local PC shop big name! Doesnt have good warranty but it is only 10 min drive, they have given me a good quote also but this is their warranty;

STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 1 Year Parts, 1 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support.

Does this mean if after 1 year the card goes **** up its not covered? Or will it go off the 3 year warranty on the card? I dont understand it.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks grizzla,

Im in touch with them now but they dont stock some of the parts i want, case ect!

I know i like OCUK they handle everything so fast so im trying to reduce the price on the quote i got from them lol.

Permabanned
OP
Well i can and ill send him the link?

Can you Private message on here?

Its even with this case and its only £1177!!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-115-TT&groupid=2362&catid=2044&subcat=

£15 extra for the white version lol? I do like both but this is the best deal ive had so far that case is like £200 alone!!

With the HAF X its £1096

This is with delivery and VAT too so its decent.

I told you i shop around, this is why i dont order like people say "ohhh you take ages to pick a pc" but ive just saved myself £130 by doing so :|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom