How much electricity do you use?? (Am I mad)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haha, RGB solar panels, you'd be on to a winner with that one, some neighbors might object of you have them, and not sure on the planning regs either. :cry:
Indeed :cry:

Just don't look to replace a gas boiler with electric, probably a better swap from gas yet zero grants and ridiculous costs to install as i have been finding (and that ignores the runnings costs). but its ok. we can just use grants for cars which take years to get co2 benefit. ASHP no good either as its a flat and it needs hot water
Yeah. I am going to wait for subsidies from the government before going solar and battery.

Our boiler is due replacement in a couple of years and I would go for something like heatpump if the price was right. But the subsidies on those as I recall are not good enough. I mean I would have to get my windows replaced too if I went in that direction which are also bloody expensive.

Soldato
Indeed :cry:

Yeah. I am going to wait for subsidies from the government before going solar and battery.

Our boiler is due replacement in a couple of years and I would go for something like heatpump if the price was right. But the subsidies on those as I recall are not good enough. I mean I would have to get my windows replaced too if I went in that direction which are also bloody expensive.
Isn't the issue with the heatpump, that you need to pay a lot upfront them jump through hoops to get it back. I also thinks there's an issue with the design from what some people say, I.e. older houses need new rads and stuff like that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Isn't the issue with the heatpump, that you need to pay a lot upfront them jump through hoops to get it back. I also thinks there's an issue with the design from what some people say, I.e. older houses need new rads and stuff like that.
Yea. That’s why I did not rush into anything. Unless my boiler pops unexpectedly I plan on getting another 2-3 years out of it. But it is a good 12-15 years old from what I can see so not very efficient.

Yip, wait until next year for proper high temp heat pumps. Just swap with gas boiler, none of the lukewarm, insulate everything nonsense!

https://group.vattenfall.com/uk/new...hes-heat-pump-solution-to-replace-gas-boilers

Oh cool. Now we just need them to either cost not much more than a boiler to get installed or for the government to step in and subsidise. I would be willing to go for one even if a little bit more expensive, together with battery and solar system. Big initial outlay but at least bills will be lower after that which is good if prices are not going to be coming down any time soon.

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Nah - it's thermodynamics baby! (ie heating to your house from 10C to 20C in one hour doesn't use more energy than slowly heating it from 10C to 20C over 24 hours - conservation of energy principle and second law).

Level of insulation obviously does, but there's an argument that even super insulated homes will have waste profiles (eg they have to maintain higher temps through the night as takes longer to heat up again).

More importantly when you factor in off peak battery heating, solar potential and the universality of electricity (ie you can easily 'switch' your heat pump source from wind, to nuclear, to gas, to coal etc as costs rise/fall, whereas you're hooked on gas with a gas boiler).

None of them are 'cheap', but lots of future potential/solutions in view or electricity whereas very little for gas. And I won't mention Putin...............

Back
Top Bottom