How much is your car mate ?

Soldato
Anyone who cares can easily work it out, it's not a secret how much you might have paid for a 2018 Ford Focus that you've owned for 4 years is it. They are commodities traded in a market for which there is plenty of pricing data available.
Yeah, but some of the cars people drive here aren’t boggo family hatches though. There could also be a security concern if randoms are asking you.

Nobody asks about my Astra. :D

Permabanned
I actually had that done (belt) at the last service, and water pump, and DSG oil, and a rollback because it's one of the Dieselgate models...
Don't worry it'll need doing again and again ;) Could be worse though you could have a bmw 4 pot diesel chainsnapper, and replace them like 4 times already. Best ones are the 6 pots that require the engine out...
I remember when a chain meant it'd outlive the car...

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, but some of the cars people drive here aren’t boggo family hatches though. There could also be a security concern if randoms are asking you.

Nobody asks about my Astra. :D

In my case it has nothing to do with security. Anybody who wanted to know could just look it up on the internet. For me it falls into being brought up in a family where to ask people about money just wasn't the done thing. Just like calling adults by their first name as a child wasn't a thing and I had to put aunt or uncle in front of their name, even though they weren't my real aunt or uncle. Fellow Gen Xers can probably relate. Maybe i'm old fashioned, but was curious how others felt about it.

Man of Honour
Shoo you ghastly person, mummy, the unwashed person tried to speak to me, you never told me they were allowed to do that!!

Jeeves, give him some money and get him to sign the NDA and then get rid of him. Also, SAS Dave, I said 10 metre radius not 10 feet and if they shout, slot em.

Last edited:
Associate
Depends who asks, depends what you are driving... depends if they are asking about cost or value.

Most of the time, I'd change the subject.

Soldato
Shoo you ghastly person, mummy, the unwashed person tried to speak to me, you never told me they were allowed to do that!!

Jeeves, give him some money and get him to sign the NDA and then get rid of him. Also, SAS Dave, I said 10 metre radius not 10 feet and if they shout, slot em.
Understood some of this but loved it anyway. 10/10 thank you

Associate
i get this quite a bit and usually just state approx how much they are trading on autotrader or ph for rather than how much I paid, usually it comes from a good place (but not always), along with the normal "did you build it yourself?" and "dont you get wet?"... which whilst looking at an Atom im like well... yes when it rains I do get wet, it has plenty of grip but dodging rain drops isnt really a thing...

Man of Honour
I tend to go list price, what I paid, what I think it's currently worth, often suggesting if they want to buy it then make me an offer. Covers all avenues really and gives a perspective to people really interested. I tend to get asked more what's it's top speed or what's its 0-60 but have probably been asked how much are they 3 or 4 times.

Soldato
I tend to go list price, what I paid, what I think it's currently worth, often suggesting if they want to buy it then make me an offer. Covers all avenues really and gives a perspective to people really interested. I tend to get asked more what's it's top speed or what's its 0-60 but have probably been asked how much are they 3 or 4 times.
The Polo GTI we're talking about here? :D

Back
Top Bottom