How much Twitch Streamers Make (and the insanity)

Associate

Can't be bothered to dig out the original video, instead going off Asmongold's 'reaction'.

What it boils down to is that some relatively mediocre human beings by most measures are making four figures a month for combining game playing with being somehow entertaining(ish) in some emotionally reactive/social way, yet they're phenomenal money making machines beyond any reasonable person's wildest dream. At better levels on Twitch, they're making six figures a month, easy.

I've seen a bit of Twitch. I've seen the "hundred gifted subs" with just an acknowledgement by the streamer.

Yet I'm utterly mystified how there's anything happening on twitch that people are willing to throw money at. An individual has no voice, as the chat screen is scrolling at potentially dozens of entries per second. The pouring-money-into-a-twitch stream sub that people are actually doing is beyond my comprehension.

Sickens me TBH that this is such a lucrative industry. In my limited time witnessing this, I've seen 100 subs gifted with little gratitude and donations of $100 being ignored, with the odd person in chat pointing out that "lol $100 donation ignored".

Someone please explain it to me. Please explain how this is how money should be directed. Please explain the appeal, and suppress my vomit induction mechanism.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It is pretty fickle - less so for those who've established themselves as big names but for others they can be popular one month and deserted the next going from 4 figures a month to $4 in the space of a few weeks.

It is crazy though - one of my childhood friends is doing the whole "e-thot" type thing and raking it in at the moment - seriously eye-watering amounts - though what the long term is like I dunno.

Can't say it is something that is keeping me awake at night - if someone can make money from it props to them.

Associate
Interesting that this has come up , I don't watch/use twitch except for the mods section of it. Can anyone explain the whole gifting subs business? Curious as I've seen it mentioned a few times and don't know what it means. Is a streamer literally "giving away" their subscribers?

Associate
OP
It is pretty fickle - less so for those who've established themselves as big names but for others they can be popular one month and deserted the next going from 4 figures a month to $4 in the space of a few weeks.

It is crazy though - one of my childhood friends is doing the whole "e-thot" type thing and raking it in at the moment - seriously eye-watering amounts - though what the long term is like I dunno.

Can't say it is something that is keeping me awake at night - if someone can make money from it props to them.

It's in danger of keeping me awake at night. I had no idea the 2008 financial crisis had been resolved so thoroughly and wealth redistributed to a massive do-nothing electronic middle class.

Here's something worth monetary value from WoW TBC:

Absolutely 100% superior to anything Asmonfart or any 100k/a month scrub is scraping in for being viciously rodent faced, yet I'm sure in that era this video was produced out of nothing but 'just because' and to 'doing exceptional work'

I'm wondering what demographic keeps the streaming horror fund going. This is a diverse forum where many folks seem to have too much money. I look forward to hearing WTF is going through their mind chucking money at streamers like punters did at strippers in olden days.

Commissario
*looks for old man shouting at clouds pic*

I know a few people that watch twitch type streams because, and this is odd, they find the people doing them entertaining!

It's no different to watching TV, going to see a local performer at the pub/church hall or the local amateur dramatics group doing a play, except that it's a different subject matter.
My brother loves watching/listening to one of the twitch streams because he enjoys the chat between the streamers and seeing them play games he personally doesn't have the time to play or doesn't like playing much but enjoys the story of. The guys he mainly watches would probably have once been on the pub circuit doing musical/stand up 30 years ago (or doing it as a side job on weekends), or possibly working behind the scenes for a "name" in TV/Radio (helping write the scripts, do the music etc), what streaming does is allows them to get a larger audience who can see/hear them daily/weekly without having to spend hours travelling (and they don't have to travel all over the country either).
I watch the odd twitch stream of games both "video" and "tabletop", even one group who build models/lego for much the same reason, it can be fun (especially in the background if I'm doing something that would otherwise be slightly boring*)

The thing is, to be successful you do have to have a talent for it, either to be a very good technically (IE you can play the games well), or to be a good entertainer, the ones that tend to stay and make a living off it are a combination of both, often with some training or education in the field of entertainment.

You also tend to need to be pretty dedicated to it, as if you miss a few streams or don't keep your content going up people stop watching pretty fast, so it can lead to burn out as what started out as fun can turn into something that makes your favourite hobby a Job.
I've seen people in several parts of the entertainment industry describe how they landed their "dream job", only to come to start to hate what had been something they loved because spending 40+ hours a week dealing with it as a job resulted in them getting truly fed up with it (the video games industry is a good example, people might love the idea of being paid to play games, but when they've spent months doing nothing but playing the same few levels of a game repeatedly 8 hours a day to find bugs, they tend to find their passion for it as a hobby has gone).

Also some streamers make a load, most will likely be making not much more than a living wage if that, some of the ones I follow are very good at what they do but it's niche (wargaming) so they don't really make any money out of it directly, but they do it to make a bit extra as it costs them nothing and they're doing it whilst working on something they'd have done anyway (either painting models, or playing the game), so they're effectively monetising what is a hobby, and getting some social interaction from people with the same interest at the same time.

Interesting that this has come up , I don't watch/use twitch except for the mods section of it. Can anyone explain the whole gifting subs business? Curious as I've seen it mentioned a few times and don't know what it means. Is a streamer literally "giving away" their subscribers?
As I understand it, some platforms (Twitch) offer both free streams and subscriber streams, if you watch the free stream you can only watch it live/with minimal ability to rewind, and less ability to interact with the streamer so people will buy a month's sub (so they can say pause the stream, or rewind it to watch it again).
What people can do is buy additional subs and "gift them" to other viewers of the stream, and as the streamers get a large percentage of the cost of every sub used for their channel, it's basically a way to give them some money (whilst at the same time giving other viewers the additional benefits that come from a sub to the stream).

IIRC if you've got Amazon Prime you get a free sub a month on Twitch, so if you use that for your favourite streamer they'll get some money from it

*If I'm assembling models or painting them I tend to have an audiobook, radio play, or twitch type stream with people who are entertaining to listen to as background.

Caporegime
It's the same it's always been, the biggest most outrageous people get the views and subs, just like TV and Youtube.

It's never been about quality of content, actually providing a service rather than a personality. It's honestly no surprise that a streamer of the lowest grade games available has the highest following, as it has to be about them instead, the most clickbaity/outrage/drama ridden of them will be the top ten. You're disappointing yourself if you think people aren't this dumb (style over substance is dumb).

Soldato
Ahhh the good old "I don't understand it so it's awful" mindset, how very GD/DM.

Anyway, all of the guys that actually make decent money have been doing this for really quite a long time and do it for 8-10 hours a day. They have to put the time effort in, just like a 'normal' job, running to a schedule and playing these games. It also takes a huge amount of effort and grind to get to where they are. It's not a simple case of playing xbox for a little bit and suddenly raking in many thousands of dollars, in fact, most of the upcoming streamers do it whilst also working a 'normal' job.

You could become the next big streamer if you really wanted and worked hard like they do, but hey, instead just be an angry little man on an internet forum. :D

Soldato
There isn't really that many twitch streamers making good money though. Remember twitch is a world service and if there are a couple of thousand streamers making big money thats nothing when there are probably millions of people who go on twitch and try to make it a career.

There are all kinds of streamers on there. But sadly the more serious streamers won't get paid much as they would be considered too niche. It's only really the players that are playing either the top new game or the game thats have a big following constantly.

People tend to follow others that are like them. There are a lot of basic people out there who seem to fall for, what we see as fakeness, the patter of the streamer. This is why the top streamers tend to be playing the same quick arcade style games over and over again.

Soldato
It is what it is, for every successful streamer there are 1,000 of them who stream to 2 viewers and make £5 a month. Most streamers start off like that and somehow manage to grind through it and end up making fairly average income, to which I have no idea how they do it. The amounts of people who actually make good money are a really small %... If they actually get to a point where they make £500k a year doing this, I can say with quite a lot of confidence they hurt a lot less people getting there then comparable incomes from most other industries, so fair play to them.

In regards to E-girls, if you actually see what their viewerbase are like, it would not surprise you they get so much for doing nothing. I haven't got the slightest clue how you can raise a kid to have that little self respect that they sit and give thousands to these women out of sheer loneliness and desperation and so much delusion. They think the women care about them, it's very sad and It'd be nice if there was an obvious way to help people like that, but I really don't think there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-h4xVwmeQ

Watch at your own risk (isn't NSFW or sweary, just painful to watch)

Soldato
Imagine donating 100's of dollars to a millionaire lol.

People are utterly pathetic it's unreal....
lol?

They aren't millionaires, most actually don't earn what the youtube videos claim either. Sure they get a fair chunk of money but nothing amazing, especially once taxes etc. are taken into account they get a fairly average wage and could earn more doing a more traditional/normal job.

The jealousy and genuine lack of understanding in this thread is hilarious.

Soldato
lol?

They aren't millionaires, most actually don't earn what the youtube videos claim either. Sure they get a fair chunk of money but nothing amazing, especially once taxes etc. are taken into account they get a fairly average wage and could earn more doing a more traditional/normal job.

The jealousy and genuine lack of understanding in this thread is hilarious.

You don't think someone like asmongold / soda / ninja / tfue etc etc aren't millionaires? Greekgodx showed his donation earnings alone this year in january.... it was 30k. He also ditches all the time and barely streams lmao.....

He literally pulled up the number on stream. That excludes money from any sponsors (which pay massive) and his 5k subscribers.

Anyone who donates to a big streamer is still a degenerate loser tbh. I can see why people may tip a little here or there / subscribe. But donating large sums of money to a complete stranger is retarded.

V F

V F

Soldato
It is what it is, for every successful streamer there are 1,000 of them who stream to 2 viewers and make £5 a month. Most streamers start off like that and somehow manage to grind through it and end up making fairly average income, to which I have no idea how they do it. The amounts of people who actually make good money are a really small %... If they actually get to a point where they make £500k a year doing this, I can say with quite a lot of confidence they hurt a lot less people getting there then comparable incomes from most other industries, so fair play to them.

I usually watch small streams that aren't outrageous streamers. They're pretty normal and have built up good relationships with members and subscribers. This is the part most don't normally hear about and they invite them to play.

Just like this thread, most you hear are the outrageous ones endlessly thrown money or all the talk of the e-thots making it sound as if the platform is full of pervs watching a prostitution platform.

Then there are the streams that have exceptional gamers who would wreck most players but they don't pull in the viewers. Unless you're shroud, ninja or drdisrespect or such. DrDisrespect got destroyed in Quake. He never played it again. I'm sure Shroud would as well as he never plays it but the extremely great players never seems to get the views. 60 - 120 viewers at most while others get in silly thousands. Only the entertainers bring in the viewers.

TJM

TJM

Associate
People will always spend money on entertainment and $10 a month isn't a lot.

What's your specific beef? That paid streaming exists, that people you think are ugly are making a lot of money or that decent players with a personality have more subscribers than brilliant players who are charmless and miserable?

V F

V F

Soldato
People will always spend money on entertainment and $10 a month isn't a lot.

Twitch is better than most TV these days depending on the channels you view but the most of TV is utter crud. Which I'd never honestly thought could happen.

Back
Top Bottom