How much would you pay for the next gen consoles?

Soldato
*slaps jonney* You fool! We'd all only pay a maximum of £300 Sony and Microsoft market research person..
Ha not me. 1000 for a console that will last us 5+ years of gaming. Sign me up.

I mention 4k as it's not the be all end all for home console users.
Only ocuk guys here got 4k tvs hehe. The avaegae Joe? Not yet but soon.

Anyways I expect it to be 500 quid for these consoles

Caporegime
It depends largely on the launch titles, if they're nothing special there's little point in paying the launch price. In general I think anything over £500 would not sell well and anything between £450-500 would need a few price drops before going mainstream.

Soldato
The most expensive launch console I ever got was the PS4. £425. The most I'll go for now is £450 if it is a bundle. I'm over buying consoles on release day unless it's with a game I want like the Switch was

Soldato
I'm expecting it to be around £500 looking at the rumoured specs, if they are accurate of course. I'd have no problem paying that if the quality is there. By that I mean decent hardware capable of running games how I like to play them ie 60fps minimum. Don't care about launch titles, they're normally pony anyway.

Man of Honour
I wonder if they will do something like a cheaper upfront price if you sign up to a gamepass scheme.

In today's age of get it now and pay an inflated price over a long period of time (see the new car debt culture) I can see that being popular

Soldato
I'm expecting £400-£500, which means I almost certainly won't bother with the main next generation consoles for a while. I don't really see the point in paying that much to play 1080p, and I can't justify upgrading my TV yet when the current one works fine.

Depending on pricing and performance, Google Stadia or Microsoft's Project xCloud could tempt me. If they're no good, I'll upgrade my GPU and just use my PC and Switch for a bit. Game Pass coming to PC should keep me occupied anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
I think £525 would be my upper limit for the next gen console with 1 game.
Though if developers keep steering further away from local/split-screen co-op options then I may not bother... I don't really want to have to buy 2 consoles and 2 copies of every game just to play at home with my family.

Soldato
The backwards compatibility promise is the thing that makes shelling out at launch (and thus higher prices) an easier pill to swallow. There's also a rumour that there will be backwards cross-generational gameplay, which again makes that launch price more appealing.

Slightly off topic, but I recently had to stop myself from buying a custom controller for my PS4 (I wanted the back paddle thingies, without paying Scuf prices). I hope officially licensed bluetooth accessories will be backwards compatible when the PS5 comes out.

Soldato
£0 at launch, after at least 5 games have been released that I want to play which will probably take at least 2 years then £300-400 max.

Both vendors have a habit of short changing hardware at launch so people buy the revision a few years later as well, so I will take that into account as well.

Soldato
Ideally I'd go for £399, but I've got a feeling both Xbox & PS will be nearer £499 and I know I will stump up for it because I'm a weak willed chump. Hopefully they can bundle in a game or two for that money, like the X1 + FIFA bundle.

Soldato
Id pay £500 but it would have to tick the right boxes out of the gate. I was happy with my Xbox one day one but it was a lot of money with not much to play, with back compat almost guaranteed and xbox's strong track record in that department, i would be happy to cough up if it was clearly stated that it would continue and current games would play better ala xbox one x.

Better value than upgrading your phone thats for sure, just give me an SSD i'm sick of loading screens on consoles.

Back
Top Bottom