How much..

Permabanned
How much would I be looking to pay for a good quality 17" or bigger CRT monitor that's ideal for games?

Really I wouldn't want to be spending anymore than £80..

Can anyone recommend one or will I be needing to pay a lot more?

Permabanned
OP
That looks good, but will it act as a TFT?

I mean the reason I want a CRT is if my comp can't handle a game I can drop it down a few resolutions so it runs better which you can't do with a TFT. Will I be able to do that with this?

Soldato
IwantanewPC said:
That looks good, but will it act as a TFT?

I mean the reason I want a CRT is if my comp can't handle a game I can drop it down a few resolutions so it runs better which you can't do with a TFT. Will I be able to do that with this?

Yes you can, most TFTs will run at 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 if they are 17-19 inch 4:3 ratio screens.

Soldato
Well he most certainly has some sort of screen, so he either already has a CRT and the 17inch one wont be much of an upgrade (I hope :eek: ) or he has a TFT which he thinks can;t do any other sizes apart from the native res.

Permabanned
OP
I was just asking if I could get a decent 17" monitor for £80 or under.

Only reason resolutions was brought in to it was because the first guy gave me a link to a monitor that is a flat screen and I wondered if it'd just act as TFT.

Soldato
Yeah TFT means it's an LCD, not just that the screen is flat. As said above many CRTs have flat screens these days, although CRTs are rapidly dying out. Of course the main advantage of a TFT is that they're thin so they use much less desk space, plus they use less power.

If £80 is all you have though, the best screen you can get (new) is a 17" CRT. Just about everywhere will have them for that price, including the Hyundai model OcUK have.

Could maybe look on a well known auction site for 2nd hand 17" TFTs - might just get one for under £80, but it will probably be out of warranty and old spec.

Back
Top Bottom