How often do you upgrade your iPad/ ipad air/ ipad Pro

Caporegime
How long do you guys normally kept an ipad before upgrading it

My two 3 year old 2021 M1 ipad pad pro's still seem to be plenty fast enough for what i use them for so i don't feel like they need to be upgraded yet.

Last edited:
How long do you guys normally kept an ipad before upgrading it

My two 3 year old 2021 M1 ipad pad pro's still seem to be fast enough and working fine so i don't feel like they need to be upgraded yet.
I usually wait until there are signs that suggest I need an upgrade (noticeable slow performance, battery life etc.) and I'm probably just at that point now with my 2018 iPad Pro. It was the 1st generation of that new style/format and it's been fantastic, performance is actually still largely there but battery life is woeful.

My last Pro model lasted around 4 years before it started to feel a bit slow and a faulty charge port eventually killed it and I got another 10'5" normal and that's still great after 18 months.

I usually wait until there are signs that suggest I need an upgrade (noticeable slow performance, battery life etc.) and I'm probably just at that point now with my 2018 iPad Pro. It was the 1st generation of that new style/format and it's been fantastic, performance is actually still largely there but battery life is woeful.
I was thinking or more hoping i will get 5 to 6 years out of mine

Ideally 5-7 years.

My 10.5 Pro is still going strong but it is now on toddler duties. I'd like to treat myself to a new one but have a few other important bits to get first

Am i right in thinking apple normally support ISO updates for 5 years
But not sure if this 5 years is for each version of the ipad (Standard/Air/Pro)

Last edited:
Tried to upgrade to the latest and greatest 13” Pro this year but returned it as it was of zero benefit to me. Just going to stick with my 3rd gen 12.9” Pro till it goes **** up

2018 iPad Pro is still going strong for me, it has a small issue in the screen where it's got a thumbprint embedded. But got it on release date. I did upgrade to the M4 iPad Pro, but I still use the 2018 for content consumption at night, it's my bed time iPad as it's the 11" and my new one is 12.9" and a bit too big.

I went from Iphone 4 - Samsung S3 - Iphone 4 - Iphone 5s - Iphone 6plus - Samsung s7e - Samsung s8 - Iphone x - Iphone 11 Pro max - Iphone 12 pro max - Iphone 13 Pro max - Iphone 14 pro max to now the 16 pro max.

I look for some kind of upgrade between them, and from 6s+ - x there was no changes so went to Samsung, and on Ipads not seen a need to upgrade till this years m4 with oled (from M1 Ipad Pro). The amount of changes in models has started to slow down. My fave iphones were 4 and X

Why in 2027 ? :confused:
EU ruling comes in to force forcing anyone/company that makes devices with batteries in up to a certain capacity easily user replaceable in things such as, phones, tablets, laptops, etc. Also same reason as Apple begrudgingly added USB-C to their phones, because they had to if they wanted to keep selling them. :)

Last edited:
EU ruling comes in to force forcing anyone/company that makes devices with batteries in up to a certain capacity easily user replaceable in things such as, phones, tablets, laptops, etc. Also same reason as Apple begrudgingly added USB-C to their phones, because they had to if they wanted to keep selling them. :)

I haven't heard about this before

Last edited:
I've had iPads since they were originally released and in that time I've only had 3 - iPad 1, currently have the 10th generation not sure which I had before this. I've just upgraded when the one I had started to struggle the apps I wanted to run

Back
Top Bottom