How often do you upgrade your iPad/ ipad air/ ipad Pro

Am thinking about spending £125 to get the battery replaced on my M1 12.9 pro
I'm in exactly the same boat with mine - still works brilliantly but battery life is starting to suffer.
Incredibly annoying the battery health feature doesn't exist for this model and that you have to take it to apple to get a proper "reading".

Not but it’s simple to get to just takes a bit of effort - https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-check-your-ipads-battery-health

Don’t know why apple don’t just allow you to view it on the iPad.
Oh, you can simplify that with a shortcut.

Last edited:
I am still using my iPad Air 2. That is a 10 year old device this year. It's still been receiving security updates too, now running iPadOS 15.8.3.

I run a specific aviation navigation application on it (which still runs beautifully with the latest versions) and that's all really. Battery is still good, however it's powered down and stored when I am not using said application.

I'm in exactly the same boat with mine - still works brilliantly but battery life is starting to suffer.
Incredibly annoying the battery health feature doesn't exist for this model and that you have to take it to apple to get a proper "reading".

I use my PC to check my Ipad battery

My 12.9 pro Battery at 87%
DPdVoPG.jpeg

Last edited:
I keep thinking about upgrading my 2020 second gen 11” iPad Pro but it’s probably been the best & most used tech device I’ve ever owned and it still performs flawlessly. So I end up not being able to justify it.

I am still using my iPad Air 2. That is a 10 year old device this year. It's still been receiving security updates too, now running iPadOS 15.8.3.

I run a specific aviation navigation application on it (which still runs beautifully with the latest versions) and that's all really. Battery is still good, however it's powered down and stored when I am not using said application.

I was given an air 2. I reset it and found out quite quickly that lots of apps i use couldnt be installed due to the IOS being out of date. I could install an IOS above 15...

I’ve got an iPad Pro 11” 1st gen 2018 model, it’s still fast and still supported with latest iPadOS, even if it’s doesn’t cover all the features like the new Apple Ai, only complaint is the battery life is a bit rubbish, I plan to keep it for a little longer, may upgrade next year, though generally I wait until it’s no longer supported by latest yearly software updates.

I’ve got an iPad Pro 11” 1st gen 2018 model, it’s still fast and still supported with latest iPadOS, even if it’s doesn’t cover all the features like the new Apple Ai, only complaint is the battery life is a bit rubbish, I plan to keep it for a little longer, may upgrade next year, though generally I wait until it’s no longer supported by latest yearly software updates.

I would have kept the air 2 if the IOS could have been updated but alas nope...

Last edited:
I was given an air 2. I reset it and found out quite quickly that lots of apps i use couldnt be installed due to the IOS being out of date. I could install an IOS above 15...

I would have kept the air 2 if the IOS could have been updated but alas nope...

Yes, I think it's time as a practical everyday device has passed. Once my aviation planning/navigation application is no longer supported by iOS 15, I will upgrade. However, given that the application only receives small incremental updates, and still runs very snappily, there is no immediate need. I also have a relatively expensive mount for it for flying, and that would need to be replaced too. It has served me well for 10yrs though, and continues to do so.

My 2018 iPad Pro still does everything I need and runs iPadOS 18 so I'll hold off until the next gen. The battery isn't fantastic anymore but most of the time I have it plugged in so not a big issue. I do like the new OLED screen but the 2018 LCD still holds up surprising well.

Yes, I think it's time as a practical everyday device has passed. Once my aviation planning/navigation application is no longer supported by iOS 15, I will upgrade. However, given that the application only receives small incremental updates, and still runs very snappily, there is no immediate need. I also have a relatively expensive mount for it for flying, and that would need to be replaced too. It has served me well for 10yrs though, and continues to do so.

The air 2 was very smooth and fast too! Its a pity the ios couldnt be updated...

iPad...I had

Ipad 1
iPad 3
Then went without for 10 years, gave the precious 2 to my dad
now iPad Air M1

I am a light user on it, the iPad Air M1 (base model with 64G of storage) works perfectly fine. Cost me less than £500, faster than my home iMac.

I just purchased the M2 Ipad Air. Not even opened the box yet though. Came yesterday...

Just upgraded to the 11” iPad Air M2 from an iPad Air 2 that I had since 2015.

The Air 2 is still perfectly useable, but the battery life isn’t great and I’m starting to find I can’t get some apps due to the older os.

Hope this one lasts just as long.

Back
Top Bottom