How old were you when you first built your PC?

Associate
1991, I was 18.

I used to spend a lot of time on a Sunday morning at a computer fair in the basement of a hotel behind the theatre on Tottenham Court Road, got enough bits together to build a 486.

A lot of fun in those days.

Soldato
17 and I was a nervous wreck :p

I think the most I had done before that was put ram or graphics card in :p I was terrified of breaking something, I remember physically shaking doing things like the CPU cooler (Didn't help it was one of those awful stock core 2 duo coolers!)

Ridiculous looking back on it now, the whole thing is second nature after building/repairing hundreds.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought my first PC around 1994, I was about 19 - Packard Bell 486 SX2 £999 from Dixons.

I bought a further two PC's, the last being a custom PC from Dan Technology built in 1998, I then rebuilt it myself in 2002 using the same case when I was 27, so around 14 years ago.

Last edited:
Associate
i designed my first system when i was about 13, parents got a friend to make it as a Christmas present. pentium 4 that got to 102c without cracking. then i learned about dust.. upgraded that when i was about 15. full gut and rebuild.
then my first rig from scratch was 17. few family bits in between. i always like the engineers on star trek, that and games. such nerd. much pc

Soldato
2013, I think it was, so not much younger than I am now...
A fellow member on here was very kind (or cruel, or evil, depending on whether you're me, my wife, or my bank manager) and gave me a PC for a wedding present.
In short order, I was upgrading stuff, and soon after building an entire gaming rig!!

Associate
must have been 12/13...

Spent over a year doing a paper round/washing cars etc.. to save up the money (combined with birthday money etc..), I remember pouring through a copy of micromart & put myself together a nice little Pentium 75 system

I then spent the next 6 months saving up for a 28.8kps modem

Strangely enough, that PC was still felt more satisfying than when I built my current machine (5960x, 980ti etc..)

Associate
13 , in 1993 , 486 DX-2 66Mhz , Socket T CPU , 8Mb Ram , 340Mb HDD Western Digital , 1Mb S3 VESA Graphics card , Panasonic Dual Speed CD-ROM ... I cant believe i remeber the specs

Soldato
Think I would have been about 17, it had a Pentium II processor.

Loved that machine it was so stable and fast compared to the hunk of crap Time PC was had.

I had to ask my IT teacher to give me a lift home and have a look at it, because I couldn't get it to turn on. Turns out I forgot to put in any spacers underneath the motherboard, so I screwed it directly to the casing.
I was so lucky I didn't blow anything up. :o

Back
Top Bottom