How popular is RGB, really?

Soldato
Linus Tech Tips have a video up about building a PC with the most popular components from one of OCUK's American competitors.

At some point he comments about none of the components being RGB. So, how important is RGB for you? The motherboard on my PC supports RGB but that's about it. Of course, with my PC in a cupboard RGB is pretty meanlingless, but I'm an outlier - or am I?

I like a few bits, but i draw the line at any lights on keyboard and fans. Bit on the ram, cpu cooler or gpu i don't mind. A general solid ambient colour for a whole build looks best imo.

I like a few bits, but i draw the line at any lights on keyboard and fans. Bit on the ram, cpu cooler or gpu i don't mind. A general solid ambient colour for a whole build looks best imo.

Do you not even have any kind of backlit keyboard? As much as I don't need to see the keyboard to type, there's just something nice about the keys being lit.

My logitech also has custom mapping lighting based on the game you're playing. So will light up all the keys that are mapped to a control, and blank the ones that do not.

Do you not even have any kind of backlit keyboard? As much as I don't need to see the keyboard to type, there's just something nice about the keys being lit.

My logitech also has custom mapping lighting based on the game you're playing. So will light up all the keys that are mapped to a control, and blank the ones that do not.

Not for me. I can understand how it can benefit a player, and have deluminate options for movies, gamepad gaming, etc, but none of the light up designs really seem helpful for my use.

RGB is fantastic in concept, especially ARGB.
The problem is, as with many concepts, that companies use it as a marketing strategy instead of designing it to be actually useful or aesthetically pleasing.

It's at the point where most people think RGB is only ever a Rainbow Unicorn Puke colour pattern swirling around.
Like with anything, it has to be done right.
I personally like the whole '80s spaceship cockpit' look, but I also have other profiles with plain colours, ambient responses and even ones that respond to my PC component states. I switch around depending on my mood... which is the point of having all the choices that ARGB brings.

Linus Tech Tips have a video up about building a PC with the most popular components from one of OCUK's American competitors.

At some point he comments about none of the components being RGB. So, how important is RGB for you? The motherboard on my PC supports RGB but that's about it. Of course, with my PC in a cupboard RGB is pretty meanlingless, but I'm an outlier - or am I?

Not important at all.
Some PC's do look amazing but it's not for me. It's like a flashy car. To me a car is a box on wheels that gets me from a to b, it's not something I would stare at all day. Last time I bought a flashy car I kept getting stopped by the police cus they thought I must have stolen it.

Despise the rainbow unicorn vomit settings, but I do quite like being able to set everything to one static colour. For instance my new case, I have the front fans set to red and about 20% brightness so it adds some subtle accent lighting to the room, but nothing garish.

Back
Top Bottom