how quiet is ur rig?

Soldato
The noise of mine would probably annoy most of you, judging by some of these posts. My brain seems to filter out the sound and I dont notice. I guess I'm less fussy about stuff.

Soldato
OP
Well I've just set hard drives to sleep after 5 min
I've set my case fans to only turn on if 45 degrees +
CPU fan at idle runs at 200-300rpm at present.

temps seem alright 40-45.

still not silent but quiet for sure.

Soldato
OP
So I have narrowed it down to it being my 2x hard drives.

When they sleep, the system is SILENT. Is there anything I can do to reduce the noise? The hard drives are in the hard drive bay at the front of the case. I believe there are two fans maybe at the front. I'm guessing the noise is the actual drives though? In which case, I guess its best to just call it a day as I can't live without at least 12TB of data for media.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Ive spent a small fortune on stuff to quieten my PC over the years at idle. My current rig is nice and quiet, and thats with a Ryzen 7, 850w be quiet PSU and a Fractal 240mm AIO, at idle the PWM fans are whisper quiet, i can easily sleep with the PC one.

I find that using foam pads and 7 'volting' fans makes the biggest difference.

Soldato

When they sleep, the system is SILENT. Is there anything I can do to reduce the noise? The hard drives are in the hard drive bay at the front of the case. I believe there are two fans maybe at the front. I'm guessing the noise is the actual drives though? In which case, I guess its best to just call it a day as I can't live without at least 12TB of data for media.
When I had WD Raptor HDDs in my pc I used to have a pair of Zalman ZM-2HC2 to hold them, these have heat pipes to cool the disks, and rubber mounts to isolate them from the chassis - it might be there's a modern equivalent

Soldato

I swapped out all my hdd’s for ssd’s but wouldn’t have deep enough pockets to do that for 12TB’s!

I am a quiet pc fan and do notice people have a very different perception of quiet.

My own pc is inaudible during normal use as in sounds the same when off. If you put your ear really close to it and the rooms dead quiet yes you might detect something but sit/stand next to it and it’s inaudible for movies/browsing etc.

I use a dark rock pro 3 cooler with the fans set to silent and 140mm be quiet wings 3 case fans also set to silent. My gpu has always been the noisiest part of my system but I have found what is probably the quietest gaming card an MSI gaming 2070. It never exceeds 65c and the fans rarely kick in to a level that you can actually hear them and even then it’s short bursts.

Soldato
OP
I swapped out all my hdd’s for ssd’s but wouldn’t have deep enough pockets to do that for 12TB’s!

I am a quiet pc fan and do notice people have a very different perception of quiet.

My own pc is inaudible during normal use as in sounds the same when off. If you put your ear really close to it and the rooms dead quiet yes you might detect something but sit/stand next to it and it’s inaudible for movies/browsing etc.

I use a dark rock pro 3 cooler with the fans set to silent and 140mm be quiet wings 3 case fans also set to silent. My gpu has always been the noisiest part of my system but I have found what is probably the quietest gaming card an MSI gaming 2070. It never exceeds 65c and the fans rarely kick in to a level that you can actually hear them and even then it’s short bursts.

My PC is NEARLY silent apart from if the hard drives are in action, in which case its not.

I asked my dad who built the PC and he said the noise is from the hard drives. The hard drives wouldn't be triggering a fan to go off right? (the HDDs are in the HD bay at the front). I've never realised HDDs make so much noise!

Soldato
My PC is NEARLY silent apart from if the hard drives are in action, in which case its not.

I asked my dad who built the PC and he said the noise is from the hard drives. The hard drives wouldn't be triggering a fan to go off right? (the HDDs are in the HD bay at the front). I've never realised HDDs make so much noise!
Compared to the 90s they arent really much noise now... A slight whirring sound and maybe some clicking you will be hard pressed to hear unless in a completely silent situation.. Older drives will get a bit louder of course...

My case fans are SO LOUD but I need to run them at 100 as my cpu cooler isnt quite up to cooling my cpu enough until I get something better. Its audible over my headphones when quietly playing minecraft so is annoying.

Soldato
OP
Compared to the 90s they arent really much noise now... A slight whirring sound and maybe some clicking you will be hard pressed to hear unless in a completely silent situation.. Older drives will get a bit louder of course...

My case fans are SO LOUD but I need to run them at 100 as my cpu cooler isnt quite up to cooling my cpu enough until I get something better. Its audible over my headphones when quietly playing minecraft so is annoying.

I dunno if it’s my fractal case fans or the hard drive.. when the drives are active I can hear my pc. When they aren’t, it’s very very quiet

Soldato
OP
so i fixed my pc noise issue (it was the hard drives)

when i game in 4k, it does get plenty loud but im guessing this is just normal?

my fans on my gpu go at 1900rpm, gpu at max load or near it, my cpu fan goes up to 1000rpm, my temps stay around 60 degrees on both CPU and GPU. do you think I can adjust my fan curve to keep it a bit warmer?

Not sure how to even do a custom gpu fan curve (have a zotac 2080)

Soldato
so i fixed my pc noise issue (it was the hard drives)

when i game in 4k, it does get plenty loud but im guessing this is just normal?

my fans on my gpu go at 1900rpm, gpu at max load or near it, my cpu fan goes up to 1000rpm, my temps stay around 60 degrees on both CPU and GPU. do you think I can adjust my fan curve to keep it a bit warmer?

Not sure how to even do a custom gpu fan curve (have a zotac 2080)

Sounds like you have plenty of scope to increase temps and reduce fan speed so have a play.

I don’t know what cpu cooler you have but at 4K/60 my dark rock pro 3 is inaudible.

Gpu is a 2070 but is the msi gaming with a huge triple slot cooler and very quiet fans, rarely hear them kick in and temps max at 65c.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you have plenty of scope to increase temps and reduce fan speed so have a play.

I don’t know what cpu cooler you have but at 4K/60 my dark rock pro 3 is inaudible.

Gpu is a 2070 but is the msi gaming with a huge triple slot cooler and very quiet fans, rarely hear them kick in and temps max at 65c.

i have a noctua d15. its quite quiet from what i can tell.
playing 4k/60 i think the processor is ok.. its the gpu that seems to be getting hella taxed.

Soldato
i have a noctua d15. its quite quiet from what i can tell.
playing 4k/60 i think the processor is ok.. its the gpu that seems to be getting hella taxed.
Yes you have a more powerful gpu than me, producing more heat but a less effective cooler so it will be louder.

Back
Top Bottom