how smart has your home gone?

Caporegime
We've gone merrily backwards to be honest. Whilst I will finalise the CCTV install later this month I don't want any of this smart stuff.

And why people would willingly invite Amazon, Google et al into their house, and pay for the privilege I still cannot get my head around.

Associate
2 echos, 2 echo dots.
Hive heating.
Combination of Hive bulbs and Lightwave RF switches depending on the light type, some Lightwave RF plug switches too for fans in the summer.
With this I can switch off lights with my voice (regardless of what flavour of light they are), turn on the fan, play music or radio wherever I am in the house, plus pish about with the temperature and water from in bed, at work or even on the train.

I would never automate security or safety stuff using IoT devices though. Its purely for the laziness factor.

Soldato
why people would willingly invite Amazon, Google et al into their house, and pay for the privilege I still cannot get my head around.

Why? Unless you're of the tin foil hat variety who thinks they're listening to you constantly what's the problem?

Considering the amount of data pretty much everyone hoovers up on you on a day to day basis drawing the line here is silly.

You're most likely just anthropomorphising your fears based on it having a voice and a mic.

Unless of course you're on this public forum via tor, don't use Chrome, don't buy from Amazon, certainly don't use prime and most importantly don't use Facebook.

Soldato
Regardless of how you feel about google/amazon etc I just find these smart home stuff pointless. Give me a standard thermostat and an on/off light switch anyday.

When I see people speaking to a computer asking it to do something, I dont think 'wow look at that, its amazing' I think.... 'what a tool'

Permabanned
Why? Unless you're of the tin foil hat variety who thinks they're listening to you constantly what's the problem?

Considering the amount of data pretty much everyone hoovers up on you on a day to day basis drawing the line here is silly.

You're most likely just anthropomorphising your fears based on it having a voice and a mic.

Unless of course you're on this public forum via tor, don't use Chrome, don't buy from Amazon, certainly don't use prime and most importantly don't use Facebook.
yeah I don't :)

Soldato
Regardless of how you feel about google/amazon etc I just find these smart home stuff pointless. Give me a standard thermostat and an on/off light switch anyday.

When I see people speaking to a computer asking it to do something, I dont think 'wow look at that, its amazing' I think.... 'what a tool'

Then you sir, have posted in the wrong thread. Look around, there are several more :)

yeah I don't :)

What? Leave any footprint?

Soldato
OP
which thermostat works better with Alexa? and does anyone use smart radiator valves aswell? do you need to?

i am def buying hue bulbs and a ring doorbell, I also plan to buy some kind of robot hoover (not sure which), though our new home will have 3 floors so 3 robots!

Not sure what to do for speakers in a few rooms, it seems sonos speakers can be used by alexa so i shall look at that.

I shall have to see how i can get wifi across 3 floors, i need to look at house plans (new build due in december) and see where ethernet cables are going etc but these mesh systems look interesting.

got 7 months till completion and lots of stuff to buy it seems, so i shall have to start saving :D

Soldato
I am also in a townhouse and can potentially totally save you some bother here.

Firstly, WiFi.. honestly as a previous wired where possible advocate the move to a town house and specifically getting a ring doorbell forced me to sort the WiFi, I have sky q so used their setup which is utter and complete tosh.

I bought one ring and ended up sending it back because it simply didn't work, they are slightly notorious for being twitchy with WiFi hence the chime pro which is a repeater (the cheaper chime is not)..

Anyway when I decided I really needed the camera outside I indulged myself with a bt 3 disc whole home setup and it is staggeringly good. I've basically taken the wires from everything that has WiFi now.. still get a rock solid 45/50mb all over the house on any device and the ring works fine.. the app actually encourages you to move them further apart like a "too easy" chant.

So my view.. pay for that, forget wires. Especially if you're going with a full smart home.

Then voice assistants.. basically they do the same thing, there's little better or best to choose from so it's ecosystem choices again. I personally have wound up in a world with Spotify multiroom via echos. Sonos does have Alexa integration but I read plenty of reports saying the mics aren't great and that is a standout of echos, I find the sound quality perfectly serviceable, it's much cheaper and clearly you want a voice assistant to be able to hear you.

Would I go nest again? Probably not, the nest is the thermostat so placing it in a town house is tricky. As heat rises you have the eternal challenge that if you have it on the bottom floor as we do it can try and bake the top floor etc. We've gotten round it by setting the trvs on the radiators to lessen the impact but given the chance I'd probably go with tado next time round.

I don't believe you can have smart valves with nest.

To be fair the automation, schedules and voice control etc on nest is great I can't fault it.. you can integrate it with IFTTT so for example over winter our heating came on when we started our commutes home. That's not standard functionality which kind of surprises me,you can have it use your phone to tell you've left which is fine but try telling that to a cold house that knows you're home but only when you actually get there which is clearly too late in the depths of winter.

I'm also not aware of any smart product that works better with say Google home than Alexa.. they tend to have feature parity.

Finally, consider smartthings, it's all well and good using your phone or voice to trigger actions but it's even better when they just sort themselves out.

I have motion sensors on each floor that have time based routines for the lights, I use a door sensor on an understairs cupboard so the light is always on when it's open (no other light source obviously) and off when it's closed. One on the front door so the hall light is on when you walk in and some moisture sensors under the sinks for peace of mind.

Then you can start cooking up interesting combinations with it all and smartthings really helps that a lot.

Plenty of fun though!

Oh and robot vacuums... I'd probably give one a go before dropping that much on 3.. bear in mind you'll still need a conventional one anyway.. I'm considering one to scoot around the bottom floor which is all wood but I wouldn't bother with the carpeted rooms, I don't believe they'd be good enough and you'll still need to hoover the stairs or whatever.. it's a LOT of money for something quite niche.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are those ring door bells any good? I’ve heard bad reviews about them

Incidentally I captured a fantastic video of our binman walking straight into a lamppost with the motion recording.

I mean I feel sorry for him but omg lol.. he's walking.. he's looking behind himself.. watch out mr binman.. oops.. CLANG

Associate
Incidentally I captured a fantastic video of our binman walking straight into a lamppost with the motion recording.

I mean I feel sorry for him but omg lol.. he's walking.. he's looking behind himself.. watch out mr binman.. oops.. CLANG
Please tell me you’ve put this on YouTube lol.

Back
Top Bottom