How the hell do Currys stay in business?

Associate
released".[/QUOTE]
This is probably why they are still in business as the people who shop there are easily persuaded into purchasing extras and accessories. If I'm after a new TV or white good, I have a budget in mind and there is no chance in hell would some shop assistant persuade me into buying £600 of extras.

exactly even saying the new TV's she had brought (both to be wall mounted) needed sound bars as the sound wasn't good in the new TV's. Proper jokers

Associate
You listened to him for 15 minutes before deciding on walking away? Why did you simply use your words and tell him to stop trying to flog you internet as you're not interested?
I did. He just didn't seem to give a monkeys because he was so focused on something I'd imagine he could get a bonus from.

Soldato
So you will drop 1k + on a TV without viewing it? I have two TV's from Currys and they were the cheapest or the same as the competition at the time. Both with 5 year guarantee as well but I think that was a EU thing.

Seeing a TV in the shop usually means nothing, they are on super dynamic modes to look all flashy and look nothing like they will in normal viewing conditions at home.

Soldato
Seeing a TV in the shop usually means nothing, they are on super dynamic modes to look all flashy and look nothing like they will in normal viewing conditions at home.

Indeed.

I would go by reviews and user experience over seeing them in the shop. Unless of course I had concerns on the physical traits of the TV, like size/shape and port access etc, then I might want to see it in person first.

Soldato
Last time my parents went in to buy their LG OLED Currys tried to sell them 3 HDMI cables for £100 as a bundle deal as the tv needed them apparently, crazy what they try bolting onto already expensive products.

Associate
To be fair the last time I went in I had reserved a Samsung TV as I didn't want to deal with anybody, the plan being just go in and pick it up. When I got there the guy said he thought a cheaper Sony one would be better and when I was my usual skeptical self when dealing with sales people he took the time to set the two up showed me the differences and I ended up with the cheaper TV, which I am now very happy with.

Caporegime
Yeah, there are things called reviews and people opinions.....

So you can tell how well a TV's UI flows or the quality of the sound etc by user reviews online? Whenever I have looked for a TV I always try and check it out in person first. If it was more expensive elsewhere then I would buy it from them but on both occasions Curry's were the cheapest.

All of which you can change. They even placed two TV's side by side for me so I could have a play. Not a single one tried to sell me junk either but perhaps they understood it would be a waste of time by the questions I was asking.

Soldato
So you can tell how well a TV's UI flows or the quality of the sound etc by user reviews online? Whenever I have looked for a TV I always try and check it out in person first. If it was more expensive elsewhere then I would buy it from them but on both occasions Curry's were the cheapest.

All of which you can change. They even placed two TV's side by side for me so I could have a play. Not a single one tried to sell me junk either but perhaps they understood it would be a waste of time by the questions I was asking.

Sound quality not an issue for me, use a surround sound system, and don't use the UI system either, as my pc is hooked to it

Associate
Many many moons ago I went for a job in PC World (before the Currys merge) and one of the questions was, would I be happy to sell or recommend products customers wouldn't need?.

I say absolutely not.

Didn't get the job for that reason, funny that.

Maybe I was never cut out to be a salesman! lol

Associate
Many many moons ago I went for a job in PC World (before the Currys merge) and one of the questions was, would I be happy to sell or recommend products customers wouldn't need?.

I say absolutely not.

Didn't get the job for that reason, funny that.

Maybe I was never cut out to be a salesman! lol

I worked at pre-merger Currys many moons ago (around Y2K) as a weekend/summer job just before going to Uni, and the pressure to push CoverPlan was enormous. Every morning before opening we would get a 'pep talk' from the sales manager, and after closing they would look at the stats and call the under-performing people out in front of everyone in a stand-up meeting environment.

Soldato
Not Currys but I once bought a washing machine from a local independent electrical store as they would deliver it same day which they did for no extra charge. Sadly they closed down citing the reason being that everyone goes to Currys and not them.

To be fair the last time I went in I had reserved a Samsung TV as I didn't want to deal with anybody, the plan being just go in and pick it up. When I got there the guy said he thought a cheaper Sony one would be better and when I was my usual skeptical self when dealing with sales people he took the time to set the two up showed me the differences and I ended up with the cheaper TV, which I am now very happy with.

Must have had a store/employee incentive on that model e.g. bonus if they manage to shift all the units.

Man of Honour
You listened to him for 15 minutes before deciding on walking away? Why did you simply use your words and tell him to stop trying to flog you internet as you're not interested?

I'll never understand people like these who can't walk away.
On these forums we also have people who are kept on the phone by sales people, I just put the phone down, or sales people/Jehova's at the door, I just shut it and say 'not interested'.

Soldato
A couple of minor experiences in defence of Curry's:

1. My mam bought a soundbar from them. A few weeks later, that same soundbar was being packaged with rear wireless speakers. I spoke to someone in the shop and with hardly any bother they handed over some wireless speakers, free of charge.
2. I wanted to buy a product from store and asked if they'd deduct the Topcashback % from the sales price to match what I would pay online, ASSUMING the cashback tracked. After a bit of faffing, they knocked the money off.

Yes they have failings, but they do price match a wide variety of shops. They are convenient and while its clear not every staff member is a tech enthusiast, my local Curry's is nothing like the one described by the OP. Some things I'd buy there, others I'd go elsewhere.

Soldato
Not that I make a habit of it, but I’m going to feel guilty going in to Currys just to look at TVs etc
It’s a bit like flicking through magazines/newspapers with no intention of buying!

Man of Honour
Awful shop.. I went in to get a display port cable recently.. The guy had no idea what they where and handed me a USB 3 cable.

Bought a tumble tumble trier too .. I must have called there customer services a dozen times for 20 mins each before i got through to someone..

Back
Top Bottom