How to brew your own beer - The All Grain method

Kit list seems to add up to about £70 plus the consumables, is that right?

I'm counting:
15L stock pot (I may already have something that would do, but it's a bit wider than stock pots generally, getting the bag to stretch around the sides might be hard)- £20
Hydrometer - £10
Thermometer - £10
Muslin bags - £5
Air lock - £15
Bucket - £10

Hops, yeast and grain - another tenner~

Use the pot you have, width shouldn't make too much difference, a piece of voile should only be 2 quid and you can should be able to pick up the other stuff cheaper, try Gumtree/eBay and you can probably pick up the other items for sub 20 quid.

Thread necro!

I've been in a bit of a hole of homebrewing YouTube at the moment, and also been enjoying hazy citrusy IPAs a little bit too much now the weather has been warming, so the thoughts crossed my mind that home brewing might be a bit of fun and save a few pennies after the initial investment!

Is there a "kit" that anyone recommends, or are you better of getting the parts you need separately?

It will depend on how much you want to spend and how hands on or hands off you want to be, and what you want to achieve. When this thread was started, things like the Grainfather (other brands may exist too) didn't really exist, so most people cobbled things together. Also you can now fairly eaasily get all grain recipe kits, that have all the ingrediens pre-measured, where we used to need sacks of grans, and all the different grains and adjuncts. So these should be good and fresh, as I think most suppliers just make them up to order.
We do BIAB (Brew in a bag), using a tea urn (40l Buffalo boiler) as the mash tun and boiler, and using a large piece of muslin as a cloth bag to mash the grain in, then lift it out leaving behing the malt in the water. It may not be quite as efficient as a seperate mash tun, and washing (sparging) all the malt sugar from the grain, but it takes less space and equipment. This for us is a good combination of not thousands of pounds of equipment, and hands on enough that we do the brewing ourselves, not some temperature controlled arduino type device. So we probably don't have as much exact confistancy time after time, but it's good fun, and not controlled by robots. :-)

So there are three basics you'll need. Something to mash the grain, something to boil the wort, and something to ferment this in. You might also want something to help to cool down the boiled wort quickly, but some people do just let it cool down on it's own (but this might mean the beer can get a bit hazy if you cool it down in a fridge later).

Happy to try and answer more here too. We're just getting back into all grain after a long break ourselves, so fantastic coincidence with the timing.

It will depend on how much you want to spend and how hands on or hands off you want to be, and what you want to achieve. When this thread was started, things like the Grainfather (other brands may exist too) didn't really exist, so most people cobbled things together. Also you can now fairly eaasily get all grain recipe kits, that have all the ingrediens pre-measured, where we used to need sacks of grans, and all the different grains and adjuncts. So these should be good and fresh, as I think most suppliers just make them up to order.
We do BIAB (Brew in a bag), using a tea urn (40l Buffalo boiler) as the mash tun and boiler, and using a large piece of muslin as a cloth bag to mash the grain in, then lift it out leaving behing the malt in the water. It may not be quite as efficient as a seperate mash tun, and washing (sparging) all the malt sugar from the grain, but it takes less space and equipment. This for us is a good combination of not thousands of pounds of equipment, and hands on enough that we do the brewing ourselves, not some temperature controlled arduino type device. So we probably don't have as much exact confistancy time after time, but it's good fun, and not controlled by robots. :)

So there are three basics you'll need. Something to mash the grain, something to boil the wort, and something to ferment this in. You might also want something to help to cool down the boiled wort quickly, but some people do just let it cool down on it's own (but this might mean the beer can get a bit hazy if you cool it down in a fridge later).

Happy to try and answer more here too. We're just getting back into all grain after a long break ourselves, so fantastic coincidence with the timing.

Thanks for the reply mate, great information!

In an ideal world I think I'm looking for a "kit," with everything I'd need, to test the waters so to say.

I'm a bit limited by space in my current place, so maybe it's worth waiting until next year when I can have a proper go, as I hate "half-arseing" stuff and would rather get set up with something beginner, but still decent enough to last a while if that makes sense?

Thread necro!

I've been in a bit of a hole of homebrewing YouTube at the moment, and also been enjoying hazy citrusy IPAs a little bit too much now the weather has been warming, so the thoughts crossed my mind that home brewing might be a bit of fun and save a few pennies after the initial investment!

Is there a "kit" that anyone recommends, or are you better of getting the parts you need separately?
I've not tried it but did look at the Pinter, but decided against it and bought the Sub as I couldn't be bothered brewing my own and am more than happy just using a dispenser of pre-brewed lagers (I like the continental ones like Zypfer or Le Chouffe)

There seem to be a few places selling all grain equiptment kits, that range from not too crazy (eg https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.u...arter-kits/all-grain-basic-equipment-kit.html , this one would need a fermenter too)
to eye-wateringly expensive (eg https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/promo...1YK_2EzCQP0T2oJp2qQrI_Py_C0AV7MSo5qRLAXK7595s).
As for the Pinter, there is a kit brewing thread here, but I'm not sure it would "save a few pennies" compared to a standard 23l beer kit, that is maybe £25 (ballpark, they can be much less or much more, but the "premium" ones are about £20-30 ish), or a lot of homebbrew shops sell starter kits with fermenter, spoon, airlock and a beer kit for about £50ish...
But yes, all grain *can* be cheaper than this too (eg https://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/copy-of-hops?sort=price_ascending), and arguably generally better tasting than most kits.

Thread necro!

Try not starting off trying to brew very hoppy beers, unless you either drink them very quickly, have cold storage and take care around oxygen post fermentation you may be disappointed. They tend to be a lot less robust than other styles and have a short shelf life unless you take certain precautions that usually require extra equipment. That said, one of the best NEIPA’s I ever had (including commercial versions) was from a guy brewing on a stovetop in his apartment but he would ferment and bottle within a week, carbonate over a week and then drink within a week. Better to learn with more robust and cheaper styles.

*waves cheerily.
Hi guys,
Its weird The legend that is @seabiscuit and i seem to have made up half this thread.
After a long hiatus, including the wonderful four legged friend we had, we have come back to all grain.
I cant wait to get going again, we did our first BIAB at the weekend and loved it, many seconds trying to remember the processes.

Cannot wait to get stuck in.
But yes in answer to thread bumps, we did/do have a few kits to do but honestly, not a patch on a fresh all grain.

Ahh I haven't brewed in almost a year! And I deconstructed my fermentation chamber to make space for other silly things! And then sold 3 of my 4 cornie kegs. But I've still got my BIAB boiler thing and stainless fermentor. And the keezer I suppose I can use for fermenting temp regulation.

OK you convinced me, now to find my recipe book! :D

I've got a 30l drum full of various grains but somehow I never have what I need!

Found an "All Grain" starter kit even lower cost.....
Would need a fermenter bucket and a few low cost tools, but that's a pretty low cost of entry, considering it includes an immersion cooler. We just bought one that cost half the price of this entire "brewery", to replace one that has gone missing since we last did all grain in 2017. The reason we stopped was we took in a pupster that shed like there was no tomorrow. And with dog fur floating in the air we didn't want it lanfdng in slowly cooling boilers of wort. That's the bad(er) sort of hair of the dog.

Last edited:
Found an "All Grain" starter kit even lower cost.....
Would need a fermenter bucket and a few low cost tools, but that's a pretty low cost of entry, considering it includes an immersion cooler. We just bought one that cost half the price of this entire "brewery", to replace one that has gone missing since we last did all grain in 2017. The reason we stopped was we took in a pupster that shed like there was no tomorrow. And with dog fur floating in the air we didn't want it lanfdng in slowly cooling boilers of wort. That's the bad(er) sort of hair of the dog.
Ah you're brewing indoors? Several years ago I tried brewing in the garage, set up an extractor hood etc, but it was such a faff and didn't work well (condensate dripping back in, whole world of 'omg you die' vs 'mehh'). So much steam! I moved to brewing outside. I put up a tarp, or place it in an area that's already covered. As you imply, before we end the boil I don't much mind an occasional leaf. Well, unless it impacts my EBC! :P

Talking of recipes, I bought this book ('Home Brew Beer'. Amazon yuck) when I started and it's got a load of decent recipes of many styles. It's also very easy to read, for my brain at least. Oh and it has some guide parts too, on kit etc. I've mostly been making the stouts and lagers/pilsners. I reckon this weekend I'll try the English IPA recipe. I have no idea how many and what hops are in the freezer so it'll be a good excuse to throw a load in! I also use https://www.brewersfriend.com/ to track ingredients, manage brew day etc, but somehow I forgot at some stage and now have no idea what I have :cry:.

I think my kettle is this Klarstein thing. I'm pretty sure it exists in a few brands. In any case, I hope things have moved on since this. It has an old fashioned element below the sealed bottom, which causes hot spots and - especially if i'm recirculating with a lot of grain - is prone to scorching and then overheating and temporarily killing itself. I then have to empty 20L into some other vessel, turn it upside down, and faff with a reset button, and then wire wool the heck out of the burnt areas. I brew so infrequently I've yet to find a workaround. Though I suspect milling the grain less fine might be a good start. Efficiency may suffer but I can live with that.

I understand more modern stuff has fancy elements that cover the whole of the base, and so distribute heat better.

Right! Let's hope for a good weather weekend so I can set it all up outside!

Back
Top Bottom