how to get rid of ants at home

Man of Honour
Ant bait station is the only thing ever to have gotten rid of ants for us. Amazingly effective things. Buckets of power did nothing, they used to just casually walk over the stuff.

Soldato
Find out where they're coming in and block up any gaps around door and windows etc though if thats an airbrick its more of a problem. That and don't leave any sugary food lying around (they even manage to find their way inside cake tins if not airtight, came back from holiday to that once turns out they love sticky mince pies). Really prevention is the best cure you can poison or bait as a temporary fix but i more will find their way in in future

Soldato
The bait stations didn't work for us at all, ants totally ignored them.

I didn't want to put loose poison down as our youngest was a toddler, but couldn't get rid of the *******. Bait stations went down every year. Nothing.

They kept returning each year, but once child was about 5 or 6 I bought the Nippon gel and squirted it all around the bin, where they kept going for food, and a couple of other places. It worked, although I had to redo it after about a month a couple of times as the colony seemed to recover.

We've been ant free for a couple of years now

Permabanned
Have ordered it but how did you know where to put it ?
Thanks
Just put it where you see ants the ants will find it. I just put mine next to our rose bush because that’s where they were travelling back and forth and the ants took the bait!

In your case put one by the cooker and maybe one outside near the patio. Make sure you cover over the outside one as you don’t want the rain getting in to it.

Associate
OP
Just put it where you see ants the ants will find it. I just put mine next to our rose bush because that’s where they were travelling back and forth and the ants took the bait!

In your case put one by the cooker and maybe one outside near the patio. Make sure you cover over the outside one as you don’t want the rain getting in to it.
thanks for taking the time to explain how it works

Associate
We used diluted bleach to wipe down all surfaces in kitchen when we had ants worked after a few days as it disrupts the ant trials as others have said move all appliances out good clean then disrupt the trails.

Associate
When I had a problem with ant in my kitchen years ago I used a product called Dethlac, it was excellent, just spray it around the bottom of walls inside or out or across doorways and it formed a clear barrier the ants would not cross. If they did come into contact with it they were dead.
It still seems to be available

Associate
Seen the thread and thought an Ant problem in December !

Then noticed revival.

We get a lot of them in the summer, I think as the patio is so badly laid, not level, plenty of gaps and cracks.

Used bait stations in the past very good. Slow though. Last year used the boiling water and washing up liquid method.

Only tend to do the first 4/5 rows of slabs to get them away from the house. They can have the rest. It's a yearly turf war.

Man of Honour
A tiny bit of this stuff on each nest in our lawn does the trick outside, cheap if you stock up now too -

Buysmart Products 5L Ant Gone Ready to Use in Its Own Unique Watering Can https://amzn.eu/d/14pe7j3

Powder never seemed to do anything. Bait stations are good nearer the house.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom