How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

it was all installed into the property by the developer.

I have 8 Solar panels and a Solis S5 mini inverter.

The only way i have to measure anything is through a generation meter next to my CU.

yeh an AC coupled set-up could work, a little bit costly just to switch to flux though lol....but could help in the long run with not importing as much from the grid.
You can get a 3kW Solis AC charger inverter for about £700, couple of forum members are using them.
it was all installed into the property by the developer.

I have 8 Solar panels and a Solis S5 mini inverter.

The only way i have to measure anything is through a generation meter next to my CU.
What wattage panels?

They appear to do different power versions of the S5, but the most it will be is 3.6kW.

You can get a 3kW Solis AC charger inverter for about £700, couple of forum members are using them.

What wattage panels?

They appear to do different power versions of the S5, but the most it will be is 3.6kW.
ive looked at using a company called L&R Renewables if i do go down the ac coupled route in the future. As the price includes installation and documentation too.....i know its done right then, i no like messing with this type of electrical stuff lol

When do you see what you've earned? Is it once per week?
You can use an app, either Octopus Watch or Octopus Aid, then you can usually see the next day.

Tuesday was my first day on Flux export, although it shows in the Octopus App, Octopus Watch doesn't show any export, but I actually exported 19kWh on Tuesday, so usage should be zero, cost will depend on the export/import prices.

Fairly safe to say my bill for the last week is -£16 roughly.

Flux-2023-04-18.jpg

just had the ready to go email. just need to tick the boxes to accept the Ts and C's and it will be good to go from midnight the day I do that.... I have 28 days to accept the terms so may as well wait till the 23rd and get all the 14p peak, 5.5p off-peak and 25p standing charge I can.

it's pre coffee so it's probably me being really dumb but..... either my maths are wrong or octopuses maths are wrong. (I am working out how long to leave it before signing my flux "paperwork" as my flux will go live when I do.

for reference right now it's 7am on the 19th.
my contract ends on the 23rd (presumably midnight):so by my reckoning I have 3 and a a bit days left however according to my account.

Hi
I can't find the post now but someone said I should be able to set my solis inverter to hold the battery at a set percentage thus helping me get the most out of flux but I would likely need a bios upgrade.
I have got the bios upgrade, however am struggling to find out how to do it (I would like to charge my battery from 2-5am then run off battery until it hit either 75% or the sun could take over.
however looking at the settings it seems I can either charge the battery, leave it undefined (so will discharge as demanded by the house or charge off solar) or force discharge to the grid

but I can't find a way to hold a charge at a set level and then run off the grid if needed but NOT charge the battery.
what am I doing wrong.
image attached. thanks.

Last edited:
Hi
I can't find the post now but someone said I should be able to set my solis inverter to hold the battery at a set percentage thus helping me get the most out of flux but I would likely need a bios upgrade.
I have got the bios upgrade, however am struggling to find out how to do it (I would like to charge my battery from 2-5am then run off battery until it hit either 75% or the sun could take over.
however looking at the settings it seems I can either charge the battery, leave it undefined (so will discharge as demanded by the house or charge off solar) or force discharge to the grid

but I can't find a way to hold a charge at a set level and then run off the grid if needed but NOT charge the battery.
what am I doing wrong.
image attached. thanks.

It was me, do you have "schemes" or anything like that, eg self use, import priority things like that?
Mine has one for exporting peaks called peak shaving mode that seems to allow (i havent tried it) to set a minimum SOC and export above that

They are all kinda diff but I think Solis and Solax are basically the same

It was me, do you have "schemes" or anything like that, eg self use, import priority things like that?
Mine has one for exporting peaks called peak shaving mode that seems to allow (i havent tried it) to set a minimum SOC and export above that

They are all kinda diff but I think Solis and Solax are basically the same
thanks..... i have been through every setting and cant find anything... it is ok, not a show stopper, i will just have to hold at 100% till 4pm unless somoene else with exactly the same inverter could hand hold me through it.

i did find the forced cut off on my battery discharge tho at 20%... am a little tempted to drop that to 10% and get another .7kwh out of it.

thanks..... i have been through every setting and cant find anything... it is ok, not a show stopper, i will just have to hold at 100% till 4pm unless somoene else with exactly the same inverter could hand hold me through it.

i did find the forced cut off on my battery discharge tho at 20%... am a little tempted to drop that to 10% and get another .7kwh out of it.

Could your inverter is older and hasnt got that option.

Some of the older batteries I believe had a lower limit of 20% so it might be you cannot go lower. Probably worth googling them and see what they say.

Could your inverter is older and hasnt got that option.

Some of the older batteries I believe had a lower limit of 20% so it might be you cannot go lower. Probably worth googling them and see what they say.
maybe.. i would hope not however as it was only installed june 30 2021 i will investigate more however, but not in a rush. thanks again.

when i google the model number this is what i get

however the buttons on the front, whilst in the same position are a slightly different style and are grey with a grey border around the screen so perhaps the older model of it.

Last edited:
maybe.. i would hope not however as it was only installed june 30 2021 i will investigate more however, but not in a rush. thanks again.

when i google the model number this is what i get

however the buttons on the front, whilst in the same position are a slightly different style and are grey with a grey border around the screen so perhaps the older model of it.

Oh for some reason I thought you had inherited a system.
Its almost certainly 10% then

Back
Top Bottom