How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

£123 profit for me this month after gas and electric, standing charges etc. plus I posted a screenshot of the bill on Facebook and picked up a referral as well, so that should be another £50 coming my way. Looks like I'm going to have a nice healthy balance going into the winter so should make it through, with probably a bit of a refund due next spring as well. Looks like I may need to drop my DD even further, after knocking £100 off of it earlier this year.

£123 profit for me this month after gas and electric, standing charges etc. plus I posted a screenshot of the bill on Facebook and picked up a referral as well, so that should be another £50 coming my way. Looks like I'm going to have a nice healthy balance going into the winter so should make it through, with probably a bit of a refund due next spring as well. Looks like I may need to drop my DD even further, after knocking £100 off of it earlier this year.
why not switch to a variable direct debit and only pay for what you use instead??

why not switch to a variable direct debit and only pay for what you use instead??
TBH I didn't even know that was an option!

Though would likely mean no bills for most of the year then suddenly a couple of large bills late winter\early spring when I finally ran out of the credit I'd accumulated from export over the summer, not the end of the world but think I'd prefer the payments spread out and hopefully will get better at setting the DD amount once I've had a whole year with the panels, plus the lump sum refund feels like a nice treat!

TBH I didn't even know that was an option!

Though would likely mean no bills for most of the year then suddenly a couple of large bills late winter\early spring when I finally ran out of the credit I'd accumulated from export over the summer, not the end of the world but think I'd prefer the payments spread out and hopefully will get better at setting the DD amount once I've had a whole year with the panels, plus the lump sum refund feels like a nice treat!
but they earn interest from your money being stored there and building credit.......wouldnt you rather not pay any DD until you actually need to pay a bill and more useable money for yourself each month as no DD going out when theres no need.

but they earn interest from your money being stored there and building credit.......wouldnt you rather not pay any DD until you actually need to pay a bill and more useable money for yourself each month as no DD going out when theres no need.
you are objectively correct but for me, i dont mind them having a little of my cash. its what they prefer and the interest loss to me is negligable.

i must admit my balance is a little higher than i normally like (close to £550 now) never been this high before.............. but i figure come september and when i start charging my car at home, that will drop rapidly.

also, OTOH in the last i have been almost £200 in arrears and Octopus never hassled me about that, so i figure it sort of balances out.

I'm getting absolutely nowhere with Octopus in setting up my Flux export. They just keep saying it takes time to onboard people but its approaching a month now! By the time it's sorted there will be no point being on Flux. I could understand if they were applying to the DNO for the export MPAN but we've got that already. So frustrating!

Providing they get half hourly readings. I suspect you may be similar to me @reef where they couldn't connect to the mter for export half hourly - although they can get it for import oddly.... I am awaiting my meter being replaced in a couple of weeks.

Providing they get half hourly readings. I suspect you may be similar to me @reef where they couldn't connect to the mter for export half hourly - although they can get it for import oddly.... I am awaiting my meter being replaced in a couple of weeks.
It could well be, but the meter is new. I had it fitted at the end of Feb. Its as good of a guess as any though. I have no idea as they don't appear to be answering my twitter DMs. I may have to ring again.

I'm currently on EDFs SEG. I have nothing online or in the Octopus app referring to export at all. When I last spoke to them a week ago they said the application for the export switch went in on the 2nd and the onboarding had started on the 17th.

I actually originally applied to join the fixed Export on 9th May previous to going on Flux. Worryingly they had no record of that at all!

It's not very reassuring to be honest.

Given we export very little and likely to be no export during winter plus we'll look to charge the batteries at night for cheapest rate, Agile import seems to make sense although of course I can't predict what Agile pricing might rise to in the winter. At the moment Agile import seems consistently cheaper than Flux, feels like i'm missing something but seems to make sense? Flux vs Agile import costs towards the bottom of the link below.

Flux Import versus Agile Import for the last 7 days

Agile could go a lot higher in the winter potentially.

I would say for cheap overnight charging you want Go, Intelligent, or maybe Eco 7 for higher pricing but more time for charging in/less running time in the day.

Well the plot thickens. The online portal has finally updated today for Octopus flux, but it says "applying for export MPAN". I'm hoping this isn't the case as we've already got an export MPAN which I've supplied to them!

Waiting for a twitter DM response to see what they say.

Agile could go a lot higher in the winter potentially.

I would say for cheap overnight charging you want Go, Intelligent, or maybe Eco 7 for higher pricing but more time for charging in/less running time in the day.
Sadly we don't yet have an EV or Zappi/Charger so it looks like Intelligent/Go are out for us given Octopus seem to be applying more stingent rules. :(

Well the plot thickens. The online portal has finally updated today for Octopus flux, but it says "applying for export MPAN". I'm hoping this isn't the case as we've already got an export MPAN which I've supplied to them!

Waiting for a twitter DM response to see what they say.
Fingers crossed - I seem to remember once there was an initial update things moved quickly although I did drop them a message with the details to prod them.

Sadly we don't yet have an EV or Zappi/Charger so it looks like Intelligent/Go are out for us given Octopus seem to be applying more stingent rules. :(

Last time I signed up for Go I could just it online and accept the terms lol, they didn't check anything in more detail.

Not sure what would happen now, but I may find out in a couple of months time! :)

Last edited:
This will probably be the best month I'll get on Flux due to good weather + prices going down.

Charged me £84 for gas + electric but got paid £164, so -£80 bill after SC :)

CQlipRd.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom