How to initialise Intel SSD

Associate
Hello, a used Intel SSD from ebay just arrived. However, it fails to appear in storage manager using two USB enclosures and two different PCs.

Diskpart also cant detect it. Any ideas on how to initialise it or confirm its dead?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Well, at the moment I have only tried a couple of USB enclosures (which work on a MX500)

I can certainly try a "direct connection" and yes the MB is set to AHCI on the existing drives

Associate
OP
What model of Intel SSD?

(Some of the Intel enterprise SSD's require 12v which a USB adapter won't supply e.g. S3700 Series needs 0.6A 12v in addition to 1.44A 5v)

Damn!

Its an enterprise S3610 which i specially wanted because its got full PLP.

I am sure my older S3500 worked in the same enclosure.

Don
What does the sticker on the drive state?

(A quick google looks like they don't need 12V, but the higher capacity drives draw a reasonable amount 1.2A or more on the 800GB+ drives which is more than 2.5" HDD draw these days)

Does your enclosure have a single usb, or does it have a 2nd "power only" usb connector (If so this will likely need to be plugged in)

You need to try it inside a PC, if it works then it's an enclosure issue.

S3500 definitely lists 12V on the sticker so would be surprised if that worked in a USB enclosure.
MX500 is at most 1.2A 5V for the 2TB version from what I can see.

Associate
OP
Fixed!

Received a USB enclosure with optional main power, it works as expected now.

Bizarrely, the PSU only supplies 12v and the drives states its 5v only. Anyway, I can now clone from drive to drive.

Back
Top Bottom