• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
Does anyone know whats the stock voltage on the MSI R7850? At the moment when using GPU tweak, its defaulted at 1210. Safe?

I'm pretty sure GPU tweak doesn't read the voltage correctly on MSI cards. I have an MSI TF IV and whatever I set the voltage to in Afterburner, GPU tweak and Trixx show 1210 as the voltage. I know that the voltage adjustments in Afterburner are working due to increased OC stability and temperature. Afterburner should have the correct reading.

Associate
You need to get ASUS GPU Tweak as the others don't let you control the voltage.

What I did first of all was just stuck mine up to 1200MHz straight away and 1.195v and ran Heaven to see if it could handle it, and I tweaked around from there.

Ended up sticking with the 1200MHz clock and got it down to 1.175v on my MSI TF3.

I tried that and was greeted by my screens turning weird colours with lines running across. Would you recommend I try upping the core bit by bit instead?

I'm pretty sure GPU tweak doesn't read the voltage correctly on MSI cards. I have an MSI TF IV and whatever I set the voltage to in Afterburner, GPU tweak and Trixx show 1210 as the voltage. I know that the voltage adjustments in Afterburner are working due to increased OC stability and temperature. Afterburner should have the correct reading.

My Afterburner says i'm at 1210 aswell. Is this quite high? What is the highest and lowest you would recommend?

Thanks
cmd-

Permabanned
It seems like going past 1220/5500 to 1230/5500 and 1235/5500 brings heaven benchies down from 1466 to 1325, I wonder why, will post more screenies soon

Because of memory correction. Big overclocks and willy waving scores mean nothing if you end up loosing performance. Each card has different limits that is why some members have said in the thread do the overclock properly and then you can see when memory correction kicks in.

Associate
Has anyone experienced artefacts on the desktop and in games with this card at standard clocks?

Can't say I have, may need to be RMA'd but wait for other guys on here to voice their opinions too just in case I'm jumping the gun.

Going to have to RMA mine too, I get a black screen when I try to log-in unless I leave the PC alone for at least 10 seconds on the log-in screen which doesn't seem quite right, tried various drivers and it keeps happening.

Tried other GPUs too in the machine and it only happens with the 7850.

Associate
Just bought a Asus 7850 directcu2 (dc2-2gd5).

I've installed asus gpu tweak (latest version) and noticed that the default voltage is quite high, namely 1.21 volts.
I've read here that this is the case for some cards, but is there any way to get it any lower?

Asic quality is 68,7:(

gputweak2.jpg

Did run the above settings for 15 minutes on furmark and 2,5 hours on 2dmark2011 without errors!
Temps don't go over 60 degrees celcius and fan speed is around 50%,

Last edited:
Associate
I've been tinkering with mine for the past few days. I first tried bringing the voltage down a notch to see if it could cope with lower volts but anything below stock (1210) and my card threw a wobbler! So on stock volts I gradually went up to 1100 clock using Trixx (only program that let me do this)which seemed fine and stable until I booted yesterday and got a boot failure message. Upping the memory causes screen flickers and general instability and so now it seems i'm stuck to 1050 clock and stock memory. Guess I got a poor clocker :( Still it's a good card and better than my 560ti!

Associate
When I installed my card it locked op windows 7 after 10 minutes or so.
I previously had an ati 6850. I uninstalled all ati stuff and used driver sweeper after that. Reinstalled the beta 12.7 and still had no problems.

You could give it a try.

Associate
I got the Powercolor 7850 pcs+ yesterday (This week only) and have only been testing with 3dmark11 at the moment (so not really stress tested). 1200/1400 seems to be the sweet spot at the moment as I havent played with any voltage adjutments. At 1210 I get random driver recovered messages. Any higher then 1400 on the memory and the scores start to go down.

Asic Quality 81%

EDIT: I set Powertune +20% and now I can hit 1500 on the memory and boosts 3dm11 score quite abit. 1210 on the core, but didnt effect score much. Will move on to other benchmarks/games soon but presently im well chuffed withthis card. Runs very quiet and cool.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom