• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
My Sapphire non-oc came with 1.21 stock voltage, so you can easily crank it up to that.

On a different note, I could really use some feedback on this heaven score; its way too low for 1200/5500 as far as i can tell. Using Trixx, board power limit at +20, 2500k at 4.0.
86226311.png

:eek: Interesting! Could you post a GPUz screenshot of default voltage? :eek:

Associate
Problem finding a stable speed

Hi guys, I am struggling to find a stable overclock with my Asus 7850. I have GPU Tweak (2.1.2.4) and AMD 12.4 drivers. My issue is that after overclocking even modest amounts (I'm trying 1050/4900 @ 1.13) , the card will almost always crash in one of the 4 programs I try to run (Heaven benchmark, Dota 2, Diablo 3, Battlefield 3). I'm kind of worried because sometimes I hit default settings in GPU Tweak (870/4840 @ 1.075) and it will still crash in one of the programs which I don't think happened when I first installed it. My question is, does this indicate something physically wrong with the card, and if not, is there a better method to OC that can lead to stable gaming?

Associate
ASIC is 72,2%. Does that determine the effect of the frequency? :O
It's not that the card doesn't overclock per se, even at stock clocks (860/4800) its only 988 in Heaven, it should be like 100 more than that from what I can tell by looking at all the scores in this thread.

Associate
Another thing I've noticed is the voltage doesn't actually change from the stock 1210mv.
I can set it lower in trixx/asus tool, but when it comes under load it draws 1210. Odd..

Edit:
Well I can say for sure it's not a throttling issue, as I had GPUZ log a few loops where mv/core/mem clocks all stayed constant at what I've set them.
Also tried disabling Aero in Windows, didn't make a difference. Would a reinstall of the OS help?

Last edited:
Associate
Another thing I've noticed is the voltage doesn't actually change from the stock 1210mv.
I can set it lower in trixx/asus tool, but when it comes under load it draws 1210. Odd..

Edit:
Well I can say for sure it's not a throttling issue, as I had GPUZ log a few loops where mv/core/mem clocks all stayed constant at what I've set them.
Also tried disabling Aero in Windows, didn't make a difference. Would a reinstall of the OS help?

Thank you Freddy, Could you show us a CPUz under Sensors?
Am starting to wonder if its possible Sapphires Techs can set the voltages individualy per card based on Asic quality and if different cards require different voltages to pass their stability process?
If thats the case then this further supports what a Sapphire tech recommended earlier in this thread about anything under 2.25v being the max safe voltage without silicon deteriation..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ASIC is 72,2%. Does that determine the effect of the frequency? :O
It's not that the card doesn't overclock per se, even at stock clocks (860/4800) its only 988 in Heaven, it should be like 100 more than that from what I can tell by looking at all the scores in this thread.
Generally, lower ASIC values require more volts and are poorer overclockers.

Highest ASIC's for 7850's are in the mid 80's, lowest are mid 60's. Your's is in the middle. My card had 84.9% and could easily do 1300MHz+ but it is all luck of the draw.

Soldato
OP
mine (MSI TFIII) which is currently voltage locked (dont worry I'm workin on it :))shows ASIC Quality, 73.9% is that good or bad???
Slap bang in the middle. You'll probably top out between 1150-1200MHz.

Surest way to get a decent ASIC is to order 3 or 4 cards from different places, DSR the lowest and keep the highest:).

Associate
Generally, lower ASIC values require more volts and are poorer overclockers.

Highest ASIC's for 7850's are in the mid 80's, lowest are mid 60's. Your's is in the middle. My card had 84.9% and could easily do 1300MHz+ but it is all luck of the draw.

Will probably never know what these cards top out @.. at least while in crossfirex..
asicqualityx2.jpg

Associate
Thank you Freddy, Could you show us a CPUz under Sensors?
Am starting to wonder if its possible Sapphires Techs can set the voltages individualy per card based on Asic quality and if different cards require different voltages to pass their stability process?
If thats the case then this further supports what a Sapphire tech recommended earlier in this thread about anything under 2.25v being the max safe voltage without silicon deteriation..

Do you mean GPU-Z? My CPU-Z has no sensors tab.
9ew.png

I've changed the VDDC from stock 1210, but once it gets under load it jumps back up.

Last edited:
Associate
Do you mean GPU-Z? My CPU-Z has no sensors tab.
9ew.png

I've changed the VDDC from stock 1210, but once it gets under load it jumps back up.

Yes I meant CPUz :) From what youve shared so far it appears your cards Bios has been manualy adjusted, make sure you register your card with sapphire so its covered under warranty and enjoy your stock voltages! This is both a bit of luck for you interms of OCing @stock volts and also perhaps a slight missfortune as the card would have to of been manualy adjusted for a reason and your asic quality being low to mid 70s may be an indication of the higher voltage requirements neccessary for stabilty? This is all speculation based on imformation gathered so far either way your card appears to share similar stock voltages to a 7870

Associate
Damn running two of these in crossfire each with a ASIC of 81/82% and i cant get past 1100mhz no matter what the voltage, I just get a driver error while playing a game or just watching a video on youtube. I'm so confuzzled

Associate
Thanks Piklar perhaps you're right. Do you think the BIOS is holding back the card then? Because the reality is, regardless of clocks, it underperforms any other cards I've seen benchmarked. The volts don't really bother me, I just want it to perform on par with everyone else's :/

Associate
Thanks Piklar perhaps you're right. Do you think the BIOS is holding back the card then? Because the reality is, regardless of clocks, it underperforms any other cards I've seen benchmarked. The volts don't really bother me, I just want it to perform on par with everyone else's :/

The bios is definately not holding back your card, quite the opposite when you take into consideration you probably wont ever have the adjust the voltages yourself to achieve decent clocks, try leaving the memory @1375 (5500 effective) and see how far the GPU will go stabil in Unigine (3 rounds passed) then play a game for a few hours just to make sure. You may also want to consider using a program like http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html to completely clean out your older drivers then reinstall them again before testing :)

Associate
I've done all that, reinstalled drivers a number of times. Had heaven crash at 1225 I think it was. Could go again, but I'm getting marginal gains above 1175. Running at 1200/5500 as anything over 1375 memory reduces the score. The most I've gotten in heaven is 1329 which is quite bad :/

Associate
Damn running two of these in crossfire each with a ASIC of 81/82% and i cant get past 1100mhz no matter what the voltage, I just get a driver error while playing a game or just watching a video on youtube. I'm so confuzzled

Try express uninstalling ATI drivers use driver sweeper and reinstall again, you need to install them twice (once for each card then reboot install the next) then install the Caps driver driver and reboot again.

What Utility are you using and which cards do you have?

Ensure the following for OCing in crossfirex
-Disable ULPS
-Ensure cards are Synchronized
-Set power board limit to max for each card

Then try this:
-Set VDDC to 1176
-set GPU clocks to 1150
-set Memory clock to 1375

If you have Sapphire cards try using Trixx (scroll down under overclocking to find VDDC)

-Report your findings

Back
Top Bottom