How to reduce input lag on ALL monitors

Associate
There is no wrench icon. Nor are there any (obvious) settings for frame limit options.

I'm using MSI Afterburner build 2.2.3

youve clicked the wrong plane icon,its the plane icon with the number 60 written on it.If it`s not visable its either hidden by windows 7 or its in the settings/user interface tab of the screen you have opened using the normal plane icon.In there is an option to select single icon mode only,disable that and hopefully correct icon will show up in your tray.

Looking at your screenshot again it looks like windows 7 is hiding your icons.Always turn that ****e off as its better to see whats running at all times to avoid confusion like this.Select customise and then tick show all icons if i remember correctly.2 plane icons should be viewable now so click on the one with 60 written on it and follow my directions from around 12 posts before this one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
youve clicked the wrong plane icon,its the plane icon with the number 60 written on it.If it`s not visable its either hidden by windows 7 or its in the settings/user interface tab of the screen you have opened using the normal plane icon.In there is an option to select single icon mode only,disable that and hopefully correct icon will show up in your tray.

Looking at your screenshot again it looks like windows 7 is hiding your icons.Always turn that ****e off as its better to see whats running at all times to avoid confusion like this.Select customise and then tick show all icons if i remember correctly.2 plane icons should be viewable now so click on the one with 60 written on it and follow my directions from around 12 posts before this one.

Just tried all what you suggested.

I have every icon on my screen, and i only get one plane icon even if i tick/untick the single icon mode only - makes no difference.

I dont get another plane icon with 60 written on it.

Any other suggestions you can think of? I would much prefer to frame limit with msi rather than dxtory :(

Associate
Just tried all what you suggested.

I have every icon on my screen, and i only get one plane icon even if i tick/untick the single icon mode only - makes no difference.

I dont get another plane icon with 60 written on it.

Any other suggestions you can think of? I would much prefer to frame limit with msi rather than dxtory :(

I'm not in front of a pc at the moment but go into monitor settings in Afterburner choose something to display like FPS and tick OSD so it displays on screen and that may bring the plane icon up.
Regards

Associate
OP
I'm not in front of a pc at the moment but go into monitor settings in Afterburner choose something to display like FPS and tick OSD so it displays on screen and that may bring the plane icon up.
Regards

Still no luck, it just refuses to appear :(

Ah well, ill stick with dxtory for now, perhaps a future build of MSI will correct itself on my machine.

Thanks for trying.

Associate
ABv223.jpg

Soldato
Go to your start menu/all programs/MSI Afterburner, if it's installed correctly there will be MSi on-screen display server in the MSI Afterburner folder, start it from there.

Soldato
Its not pointless and i'm afraid to say you are wrong.

Vsync causes extra input lag.

The extra input lag caused by vsync is eliminated when you limit your fps to 1 below the hz of your monitor.

This is particularly useful because most players will put up with screen tearing so they do not create vsync input lag.

By using this method, you are able to eliminate screen tearing AND vsync input lag.

You also save on computational power because the vsync buffer never has to flush unnecessary frames AND as a result your PC as a whole stays cooler.

Even if the best expert replies here to say that this method "doesnt work" i will brush the comment aside as an inexperienced piece of mis-information because ive been playing games with this method since i found out about it and the proof is right in front of my eyes.

I have no screen tearing and my mouse input is instantaneous. As soon as i close dxtory and my fps syncs to 60, i get a lot of input lag again.

Okay fair enough I will try it for my own eyes if what you say is true, will it reduce tearing too?

Associate
OP
Okay fair enough I will try it for my own eyes if what you say is true, will it reduce tearing too?

Eliminates it completely.

The only downside as someone else mentioned is that you are fitting 59 frames in a 1 second period that is drawing 60 frames, which means 1 frame gets repeated (or skipped, i cant tell which).

The does cause the slightest of hitches every 1 second.

It's so small though i struggle to tell its even there, and would never have noticed it unless it was pointed out.

You can only see it if you face a wall then strafe sideways. Even then it is negligable and hard to tell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay I'll look out for this as it sounds like it could put my aim off in counter strike as I'm very sensitive to motion. Are you playing all games like this now, what's compatibility like? I saw a comment on that website someone had a formula for 60Hz being 60*2+1 = 121Hz, he never explained why? I'm guessing it's double the 60hz so two frames get projected together to double the chance of a perfect refresh plus the one extra to stop the dropped frame of 60Hz going to 59.

Associate
OP
Okay I'll look out for this as it sounds like it could put my aim off in counter strike as I'm very sensitive to motion. Are you playing all games like this now, what's compatibility like? I saw a comment on that website someone had a formula for 60Hz being 60*2+1 = 121Hz, he never explained why? I'm guessing it's double the 60hz so two frames get projected together to double the chance of a perfect refresh plus the one extra to stop the dropped frame of 60Hz going to 59.

I dont know how it would work with 120hz monitors.

My guess would be to frame limit at 119 fps.

Compatibility works with all games because dxtory limits the fps from the actual gpu, which is better than in-game commands because it is limiting at source rather than discarding excess frames.

I cant play games without doing this now, the input lag i notice is terrible compared to not doing it. Dont know how i never noticed it before.

Im getting a 120hz monitor today. But it also has very low input lag, so im not sure if i would need to still frame limit.

Associate
I dont know how it would work with 120hz monitors.

My guess would be to frame limit at 119 fps.

Compatibility works with all games because dxtory limits the fps from the actual gpu, which is better than in-game commands because it is limiting at source rather than discarding excess frames.

I cant play games without doing this now, the input lag i notice is terrible compared to not doing it. Dont know how i never noticed it before.

Im getting a 120hz monitor today. But it also has very low input lag, so im not sure if i would need to still frame limit.

To be honest with 120hz you can get away with vsync and triplebuffer,most games dont suffer from the "floaty" feel that badly.Certainly on the title screens when your moving your cursor you sort of think you can feel it but once in game when your jumpin around and stafing whatever lag is there, is most certainly not game destroying.

Some people say dont be silly you can turn off vsync cos you wont see tearing with 120hz but unfortunatly while its true that its much reduced its certainly there and can be seen quite easily in some games.A lot of times you just seem vaguely aware that the screen seems to "wobble" slightly around 2/3 the way up and an occasional tear shows.It just doesnt quite seems silky smooth and like watery smooth in its movement.In fact when you turn vsync back on you just know it`s moving smoother and feels like it should.

Soldato
Silly question, presumably this would still work for games where your machine cannot provide a constant fps of 59? i.e. Say it drops to 35fps during a battle, this method would still a) reduce tearing and b) prevent input lag?
Why have I never heard of this before if it is so simple as capping the fps at 59? It's taken nearly decade for someone to work this out and make it public knowledge?

Soldato
Silly question, presumably this would still work for games where your machine cannot provide a constant fps of 59? i.e. Say it drops to 35fps during a battle, this method would still a) reduce tearing and b) prevent input lag?
No.
Why have I never heard of this before if it is so simple as capping the fps at 59? It's taken nearly decade for someone to work this out and make it public knowledge?
Because it doesn't eliminate tearing and doesn't stop the game halving the frame rate when it can't reach the sync threshold.

Back
Top Bottom