How To Tell A Quattro?

Not on all Quattro systems.

quattro is just a name, same as 4motion is to vw. audi use quattro and haldex, whereas vw are primarily haldex.

the older gen haldex systems are maximum 50/50 split with no more than 50% power going to the rear wheels at any time. the newer gen ones such as that on the mk5 r32 you can apply upto 75% power to the rear wheels.

most audis are torsen based, or where. which is a permanent 50/50 split, but can be adjusted with controllers.

Last edited:
quattro is just a name, same as 4motion is to vw. audi use torsen and haldex, whereas vw are primarily haldex.

the older gen haldex systems are maximum 50/50 split with no more than 50% power going to the rear wheels at any time. the newer gen ones such as that on the mk5 r32 you can apply upto 75% power to the rear wheels.

most audis are torsen based, or where. which is a permanent 50/50 split, but can be adjusted with controllers.

So as I said then...

As an RS4 driver I have the best one, the bloke in the sheepskin who sold me it at a special price told me and he was an expert.

As an RS4 driver I have the best one, the bloke in the sheepskin who sold me it at a special price told me and he was an expert.

not since audi will be debuting the vectoring quattro system in the B8 S4, but im being pedantic, and thats fox's job - oh wait, he aint here :D

Yep part time. So when you're doing 70 on the motorway you're only FWD.

Well, except you aren't, even in a haldex driven car Simply applying drive force to the front wheels creates slip which sends some torque to the back.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=306089&postcount=11

Not that it's relevant mind you, as the A4 uses a completely different 4wd system with a guaranteed minimum/maximum split, but the point remains, no quattro powered cars are 'FWD at 70mph'.

that's a really good post, quite interesting for me..

If you have differently worn tyres on the front and rear axles, the new
tyres should always be on the rear axle. This is true no matter if the car
is FWD, RWD or AWD, since you otherwise risk heavy and uncontrollable
oversteer in situations such as aqua planing. In this case, putting the worn
tyres at the front also helps not to reduce the maximum transferable torque
(maximum rear axle torque).

fancy that, i put the new tyres on the front and the really old one on the back.. :o

that's a really good post, quite interesting for me..

fancy that, i put the new tyres on the front and the really old one on the back.. :o

Now I know why you should be putting new tyres on the back, but with my 2WD car i'd rather oversteer into a crash than hit something head on because the front tyres didn't grip.

That being said I like to rotate my tyres and change all four at once.

Jack up the front end of the car and put it on axle stands, then put it in first gear and rev it. If the car lurches forward, knocking the axle stands over and making a right mess of the underside of your car then it's quattro, if not then it's FWD.

*disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you are stupid enough to actually follow this advice

Jack up the front end of the car and put it on axle stands, then put it in first gear and rev it. If the car lurches forward, knocking the axle stands over and making a right mess of the underside of your car then it's quattro, if not then it's FWD.

*disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you are stupid enough to actually follow this advice

Would jacking the rear of the car up and turning one wheel make the other turn, if it was quattro?

That isnt possible with haldex unless the front wheels are loosing grip. The rear power is taken of the front diff so it can only share what the front diff has not transfer more power aft than what is given to the front. If all wheels have grip the max is still only 50/50.

Fancy that, i put the new tyres on the front and the really old one on the back.. :o

HUGE can of worms all over my desk, they've gone all over the place!

I always put the newest tyres on the front, simply because a FWD car requires more grip at the front end so you can turn and still put power down without understeering in the wet.

I prefer oversteer to understeer and if your car has ESP then its a no brainer FWD = newest on front, RWD = Newest on back.

HUGE can of worms all over my desk, they've gone all over the place!

I always put the newest tyres on the front, simply because a FWD car requires more grip at the front end so you can turn and still put power down without understeering in the wet.

I prefer oversteer to understeer and if your car has ESP then its a no brainer FWD = newest on front, RWD = Newest on back.

Thats what I used to think but I remember watching something on TV where this was tested and the outcome was that new tyres were always better off on the back to prevent the rear end from sliding out.

Back
Top Bottom