How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Soldato
Anyone who thinks a British exit isn't going to affect them in the slightest is trolling. Stupid and trolling.

But No-one has come up with any evidence yet.

Of course its going to affect most people. If they talk about it then it has affected them. But ultimately no one has said how..

If anyone knows what will happen.. And by that I mean BEFORE it happens. Then I'm your best mate please by me a Ferrari with all that money your going to make.

Soldato
Whilst tongue in cheek, words of wisdom is still being too generous.

Anyone who thinks a British exit isn't going to affect them in the slightest is trolling. Stupid and trolling.

Depends how tightly you view life?

Will I still have a house? Yes? Job? Yes. Go fishing? Yes. Play golf? Yes. Go to pub with my mates? Yes. Holiday? Yes. Eat out? Yes.

Prices might fluctuate. But that happens regardless?

As long as I can continue to do those I will say Brexit won't affect me.

Live life. Stop worrying.

Man of Honour
So does she or has she ever vetoed anything?

Not publically due to the constitutional fallout. I imagine if she had strong feelings on any bill, she'd make that clear within the Privvy Council and put pressure that way. That in itself would be enough.

I also don't have a problem with that because I trust the Queen to make a good decision more than most MPs.

Man of Honour
Not publically due to the constitutional fallout. I imagine if she had strong feelings on any bill, she'd make that clear within the Privvy Council and put pressure that way. That in itself would be enough.

I still think whilst she has the power to dissolve parliament, veto laws etc... she would never do it, which just makes all of this more of a farce.

Man of Honour
I still think whilst she has the power to dissolve parliament, veto laws etc... she would never do it, which just makes all of this more of a farce.

She'll never do it obviously and publicly, but that's not where HM's power really lies. If you're the PM and the Queen tells you that a bill is a really bad idea, how easy is it going to be to tell the Queen that you're doing it anyway?

Man of Honour
I kind of wish she would in this case - obviously as a temporary measure.

Not sure what that would achieve, but it would be good to see this so called "head of state" behave as such rather than divorce themselves from the responsibility. I'm letting my personal anti-monarchy feelings mar my thoughts though.

However, this whole brexit thing for "independence" should surely include the house of lords and royal family?

Caporegime
I will end up richer as I live outside the EU and my currency is now strong vs the pound. I in effect for a £10k pay rise, though it will only last until the pound strengthens.

My UK family will be affected in the short-term, but nothing dramatic I expect since the pound will rise.

Until we know what deals will be negotiated, then everything else is speculation and supposition.

Caporegime
Not sure what that would achieve, but it would be good to see this so called "head of state" behave as such rather than divorce themselves from the responsibility. I'm letting my personal anti-monarchy feelings mar my thoughts though.

However, this whole brexit thing for "independence" should surely include the house of lords and royal family?

That wasnt the vote though, it was just to "leave" the EU. And no current government isnt going to put forward a referendum on should we abolish the Queen and the house of Lords.

Soldato
Reaction to Brexit has already had some profound but hopefully short term effects on my life.

My staff in London are mainly from around the EU and they've already had abuse hurled at them when talking in their native tongues. Staff have also needed calming down and advice giving on their right to work and reside status moving forward. We're actively encouraging them to get a British residency permit which they can do, but I can't say for sure what will happen in exit negotiations and the uncertainty is making them question whether they still want to be here.

My staff bill in the US went up 15% overnight but was actually outweighed by the fact that the majority of our customers pay in US dollars with the work dis-proportionately done out of the UK so more profit to the company.

Already seeing a reluctance in London for people to take on permanent tech roles if they're not UK born, so the talent pool has got smaller. They all want contract roles until things are more certain. I've had one client cancel a deal because they're delaying investment.

On a personal level in the next two years my wife will qualify to get a Swiss passport more easily through having been married to me for a number of years and we'll get that sorted to ease freedom of movement. I expect my own travel experiences will be much like when Switzerland was not part of the EEA, so I'll need to take my ILR letter I got in 1979 from the Home Office whenever I travel back into the country.

My mother's Swiss pension is paid in CHF and so she's getting more GBP for the moment living here in the UK.

My pension took a nosedive. Too early to say what will happen with house values and stuff, not that I'm looking to sell.

Coincidentally I flew over to Italy on the day of the result and also traveled to Switzerland where people were just very sad that the UK didn't want to be part of something bigger and the general impression, rightly or wrongly, is that we're coming across like a bunch of very insular people.

Oh and many of my neighbours in Kent who voted leave are bricking it now that the camps in Calais (hot topic in this part of the country) will be moving to Dover when the French tell us to stuff our juxtaposed border controls and wave them through on the ferries.

Soldato
That's a laudable sentiment, so presumably you're after the abolition of the house of lords then?

I would be - it is about time it had some reform and we certainly don't need so many of them.

A decent portion of them are just avid networkers, a friend of mine had to sack one of them as a non-exec director not so long ago after it became very apparent that this particular Lord was all talk and actually had no clue and added no value to the board despite his public facade.

Agree

And the Monarchy for that matter. Liz gets the final veto on any legislation. She doesn't even need to veto, HM has used influence to amend legislation, especially regarding the Crown estate.

You become a British citizen and with in a month or two your having ago at the royal family. That's disgusting in my opinion.

You do know the Queen gave a record amount(£304.1m) to the treasury this year?

Man of Honour
You become a British citizen and with in a month or two your having ago at the royal family. That's disgusting in my opinion.

Not at all, I'm a staunch royalist, but it's one thing supporting the monarchy and another to dismiss that royal influence isn't used when the Queen feels necessary. I hope that's rare, but only a select few people know when it's used.

What we have is less democratic than many people would like, that fact can't be avoided. Turns out that I'm ok with that though, not everything should be left to the public to decide.

Soldato
Not at all, I'm a staunch royalist, but it's one thing supporting the monarchy and another to dismiss that royal influence isn't used when the Queen feels necessary. I hope that's rare, but only a select few people know when it's used.

What we have is less democratic than many people would like, that fact can't be avoided. Turns out that I'm ok with that though, not everything should be left to the public to decide.

Ok got ya. Sorry for the "disgusting" bit.

Soldato
Reaction to Brexit has already had some profound but hopefully short term effects on my life.

My staff in London are mainly from around the EU and they've already had abuse hurled at them when talking in their native tongues. Staff have also needed calming down and advice giving on their right to work and reside status moving forward. We're actively encouraging them to get a British residency permit which they can do, but I can't say for sure what will happen in exit negotiations and the uncertainty is making them question whether they still want to be here.

My staff bill in the US went up 15% overnight but was actually outweighed by the fact that the majority of our customers pay in US dollars with the work dis-proportionately done out of the UK so more profit to the company.

Already seeing a reluctance in London for people to take on permanent tech roles if they're not UK born, so the talent pool has got smaller. They all want contract roles until things are more certain. I've had one client cancel a deal because they're delaying investment.

On a personal level in the next two years my wife will qualify to get a Swiss passport more easily through having been married to me for a number of years and we'll get that sorted to ease freedom of movement. I expect my own travel experiences will be much like when Switzerland was not part of the EEA, so I'll need to take my ILR letter I got in 1979 from the Home Office whenever I travel back into the country.

My mother's Swiss pension is paid in CHF and so she's getting more GBP for the moment living here in the UK.

My pension took a nosedive. Too early to say what will happen with house values and stuff, not that I'm looking to sell.

Coincidentally I flew over to Italy on the day of the result and also traveled to Switzerland where people were just very sad that the UK didn't want to be part of something bigger and the general impression, rightly or wrongly, is that we're coming across like a bunch of very insular people.

Oh and many of my neighbours in Kent who voted leave are bricking it now that the camps in Calais (hot topic in this part of the country) will be moving to Dover when the French tell us to stuff our juxtaposed border controls and wave them through on the ferries.

Really interesting post.

Back
Top Bottom