How would you fix digital advertising?

Permabanned
I assume you're referencing malware but, once again, could you give an example of a publisher who fills their ad slots with malware please?
It's very common, ad networks get poisoned, it's not the publisher's intention, but they're providing an audience to the ad network which becomes a single point of failure / a vulnerability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising

Soldato
That's pennies compared to what they are making.
Yes it is but the point is - if it wasn't being written off as part of the shops advertising budget or however they do it, this place could not exist on the basis of one banner ad alone. It's a poor example of 'adverts done right' because the advert couldn't sustain the site, what sustains it is significant external funding.

Associate
OP
It's very common, ad networks get poisoned, it's not the publisher's intention, but they're providing an audience to the ad network which becomes a single point of failure / a vulnerability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising

But you haven't provided an example as I asked for? You just linked me to a Wikipedia article which states that 4 years ago McAfee identified that malware was a problem on mobile platforms - well of course it's a problem if you're browsing piratebay, but are you honestly telling me I can get a virus from ad placements on Sky Sports? Come on, think about the lawsuits please.

Permabanned
Yes it is but the point is - if it wasn't being written off as part of the shops advertising budget or however they do it, this place could not exist on the basis of one banner ad alone. It's a poor example of 'adverts done right' because the advert couldn't sustain the site, what sustains it is significant external funding.

Then they need a new model simple as that really. You can't plaster adverts everywhere! It's not right. 1 is enough and if businesses can't find another way to make money there is something seriously wrong.

Associate
OP
Then they need a new model simple as that really. You can't plaster adverts everywhere! It's not right. 1 is enough and if businesses can't find another way to make money there is something seriously wrong.

I guess you're very entitled to your hatred of advertising. I just don't think you should take the position that "you're monetizing the wrong way therefore I'm going to take this for free". I think instead you should go elsewhere.

Soldato
We're not only talking about businesses though, not every website or forum running adverts is a business, some are just trying to cover costs.

What you're essentially arguing is that unless people are happy to create content for the Internet on a charity basis at their own cost, they shouldn't bother.

While I'll agree advertising has got out of hand, that would be a position too far in the other extreme.

Soldato
But you haven't provided an example as I asked for? You just linked me to a Wikipedia article which states that 4 years ago McAfee identified that malware was a problem on mobile platforms - well of course it's a problem if you're browsing piratebay, but are you honestly telling me I can get a virus from ad placements on Sky Sports? Come on, think about the lawsuits please.
Jump on the local news website links I (and mrbell1984) posted and start clicking on the ads, especially the ones that have been designed to look like the content to get trick clicks. I doubt it'll take long before you've got something unwanted on your PC.

Permabanned
I guess you're very entitled to your hatred of advertising. I just don't think you should take the position that "you're monetizing the wrong way therefore I'm going to take this for free". I think instead you should go elsewhere.

Then in that case why doesn't the company using advertisement model to substate a business change their business model to a subscription basis? If this means downing their workforce to sustain the company so be it.

-- This isn't aimed directly at you Kenai it's a general feeling --

Tell you what, let me get 20 people to stand outside of your house and shout something different through your letterbox / open windows. This is essentially what advertisement (in my opinion) has become.

How would you feel about this? :) Advertisement model has become so big it's crashing as more people are using ad blockers to stop adverts been intrusive, which is what's happening.

Associate
OP
Jump on the local news website links I (and mrbell1984) posted and start clicking on the ads, especially the ones that have been designed to look like the content to get trick clicks. I doubt it'll take long before you've got something unwanted on your PC.

Regional news is a poor experience, I completely agree. The ad slots you are referring to come from AdTech companies such as Outbrain, Taboola, AdYouLike, TrippleLift and Sharethrough - you can Google these if you would like to know more. Yes these 'native' ads are designed to appeal to individuals who typically display 'banner blindness' but I very much doubt you would find anything truly malicious off the back of anything they serve.

Again, tranclucent popups and whatnot on dodgy websites may well contain malware, but this is not the norm. Why are you on those dodgy websites anyway?

Permabanned
Regional news is a poor experience, I completely agree. The ad slots you are referring to come from AdTech companies such as Outbrain, Taboola, AdYouLike, TrippleLift and Sharethrough - you can Google these if you would like to know more. Yes these 'native' ads are designed to appeal to individuals who typically display 'banner blindness' but I very much doubt you would find anything truly malicious off the back of anything they serve.

Again, tranclucent popups and whatnot on dodgy websites may well contain malware, but this is not the norm. Why are you on those dodgy websites anyway?

Dodgy websites? This is OUR local regions. A disgrace full on to advertisements. News companies don't need to use advertisements for revenue. They do it probably because it's the most easiest way to generate it hence jumping on the bandwagon to do it. This model should not continue.

Caporegime
Marmot you are coming across to me as very condescending for getting "free" market research.
You don't have to belittle those that don't fit your agendas.
Im all for pay walls. I pay for, rough count, 7 or 8 subscription services online.
If some two bit site, of which there are 1000s, starts bombarding me with bs I simply ignore it.
The same as what you should do here.

I can only assume you are doing this for payment?
If not sorry.
Anyway, paywall is the way to go.

Soldato

I've already explained that I've had to play clean up after the ads served on local news. Trying to pretend it's only a problem on 'dodgy websites' is disingenuous.

Associate
OP
Dodgy websites? This is OUR local regions. A disgrace full on to advertisements. News companies don't need to use advertisements for revenue. They do it probably because it's the most easiest way to generate it hence jumping on the bandwagon to do it. This model should not continue.

Apologies if I was unclear, I wouldn't classify regional news as dodgy websites, that is why I separated that point. I mean stuff like streaming sites, software downloads and whatnot.

Permabanned
@Marmot

Find all threads by Marmot

I just did a quick search on you. Would you like to donate to the people who have answered all of your questions on this forum? The ones that have resolved all of your problems? This information is also FREE and overclockers have not paid any users here who has helped you. They have done this in their own time.

I suggest if you have the very strong stance of marketed advertisements like this you subscribe to everyone who is answering you to your computer problems.

It works both ways here..... :) You get my point now?

Apologies if I was unclear, I wouldn't classify regional news as dodgy websites, that is why I separated that point. I mean stuff like streaming sites, software downloads and whatnot.

We have a lot of problems online still when it comes to advertisments/privacy and millions more other things that is currently in the process of been ironed out by IT people all over the world.

Associate
OP
@Marmot

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/search/35085039/

I just did a quick search on you. Would you like to donate to the people who have answered all of your questions on this forum? The ones that have resolved all of your problems? This information is also FREE and overclockers have not paid any users here who has helped you. They have done this in their own time.

I suggest if you have the very strong stance of marketed advertisements like this you subscribe to everyone who is answering you to your computer problems.

It works both ways here..... :) You get my point now?

You make an interesting point but I would argue that payment on this forums is based around collaboration and input. I do not feel the same can be said for the wider internet, where the average person contributes very little and is expected to pay through advertising.

Associate
OP
I've already explained that I've had to play clean up after the ads served on local news. Trying to pretend it's only a problem on 'dodgy websites' is disingenuous.

Okay, well I obviously can't dispute your personal experiences even if they are rather vague, so I'll just have to accept your pov.

Soldato
Okay, well I obviously can't dispute your personal experiences even if they are rather vague, so I'll just have to accept your pov.
What's vague about it?

I've linked to the site it happened on, described what happened and the fact I had to run malware removers to get rid of it.

What else would you like to know?

Permabanned
You make an interesting point but I would argue that payment on this forums is based around collaboration and input. I do not feel the same can be said for the wider internet, where the average person contributes very little and is expected to pay through advertising.

Then the sites that are using advertisements as a only income to their ability to run NEED a new business model pronto. General consumers will win due to how intrusive adverts are becoming. This is without a doubt what's going to happen. The world changes 1 day at a time.

Associate
OP
Marmot you are coming across to me as very condescending for getting "free" market research.
You don't have to belittle those that don't fit your agendas.
Im all for pay walls. I pay for, rough count, 7 or 8 subscription services online.
If some two bit site, of which there are 1000s, starts bombarding me with bs I simply ignore it.
The same as what you should do here.

I can only assume you are doing this for payment?
If not sorry.
Anyway, paywall is the way to go.

I actually do sincerely apologise if I've come across as condescending or belittling.

You're right that this is, in effect, market research. It's for my own personal benefit however, not for monetary gain, and do you really care if it's a subject about how to make our lives better?

Back
Top Bottom