How would you interpret this? (M2 Installation)

Man of Honour
Hello

I have ordered a M2 drive with a heatsink. The motherboard itself is an MSI Unify-X, which has it's own heatsinks but I gather these can be hit or miss (and they were equivalently priced at the time... notwithstanding @Lustral 's super bargain! :p ).

Reading the instructions below, do you think I need to remove (a) Thermal Pads 1 and 2, or (b) Thermal Pads 1 and 2 AND the M.2 Plate?

It's a little unclear since it says thermal pad-2 should not be removed from the M.2 Plate yet it it seems a little odd to me to leave the M.2 Plate in situ. Hence why I think it means option (b).

s0Y99cz.png

gV9RxGk.png

Cheers.

Associate
Hello

I have ordered a M2 drive with a heatsink. The motherboard itself is an MSI Unify-X, which has it's own heatsinks but I gather these can be hit or miss (and they were equivalently priced at the time... notwithstanding @Lustral 's super bargain! :p ).

Reading the instructions below, do you think I need to remove (a) Thermal Pads 1 and 2, or (b) Thermal Pads 1 and 2 AND the M.2 Plate?

It's a little unclear since it says thermal pad-2 should not be removed from the M.2 Plate yet it it seems a little odd to me to leave the M.2 Plate in situ. Hence why I think it means option (b).

s0Y99cz.png

gV9RxGk.png

Cheers.

I had to read that 5x and look at my manual for the reg unify. Imo if you got a m2 with its own heatsink I would = remove both thermal pads and the top metal plate, they don't look well glued on so I think it should be easily done.

Glad you pointed this out because I just glanced at it and I need to check if my M2 drives are dbl sided now.

Soldato
i see what this is.
i got a nvme heatsink from ocuk jonsbo brand i think, it came with thermal pads of 2 sizes. 2 thin and 2 thick. you sandwich the drive between the thermal pads. if the drive has memory chips on both sides then you use the thin pads. if its single sided then you use the thicker pads. use the wrong pads on the wrong drive and drive will be either loose and not make contact with the heatsink or it be too thick to put the heatsink together.

Back
Top Bottom