How would you take this roundabout?

Man of Honour
If you were approaching this roundabout as my excellent mspaint skills show, which lane would you be in? Left hand one, or right hand one?

It's hard to tell, but the first exit is only ever used for delivery traffic.

DQvTvbw.jpg

GzobstK.jpg

The earth view makes it look straight on, but when you drive it it's definitely a 'right' exit. Nearly every day I almost see an accident here.

Soldato
If I didn't know the area left lane, but for lots of roundabouts people act differently when they know the local area as they seem to almost develop their own rules. Roundabouts like that really could do with better signage and paint markings to clear up confusion.

How many lanes on the exit?

Associate
I was always told that the last exist is a right turn, not just anything past 12, and in the same respect, the 1st exit is a left turn (even if it's past 12) - whether correct or not, it's worked for me. So, with that logic, it's neither right or left, so effectively straight on, so I would say you could use either lane. BUT, if you're on the right/inside lane, you need to give way to traffic on your left as you turn to leave the roundabout (as you are effectively changing lane on the roundabout from the inside to outside lane before exiting) and not just turn through them ;)

Soldato
Sure the official thing is 1st exit, left lane, last exit right lane. Anything in between use the most appropriate lane. So lots of scope for different interpretations.

For me it would be left lane, right lane if for example there were lots of cars in the left lane going off the first exit.

Soldato
The truth of the matter is that there is no definitive answer. With roundabouts like this, it really isn't clear cut and in these instances they should be painting things on the road to stop these accidents happening.

Soldato
The highway code says you can use the left lane for 1st or 2nd exit unless its only a 3 exit rbout, so that is what you should be prepared to see people do.

People using the right hand lane for 2nd exit are chancing their arm so should be prepared to go round again.

Edit: i have an old printed highway code that says first or 2nd exit, left hand lane, but the latest one online just says "choose an appropriate lane or as indicated by road markings", which is worse imo

Last edited:
Soldato
As it is not signed I would take observation of the traffic and go with which is most appropriate. That means taking care that traffic in the other lane may be taking the same exit as me.

Soldato
I'd probably use the right since theres no signs or markings. If you use the left you just know someone will cut you up. Though I try to avoid going parallel with people around roundabouts.

Man of Honour
OP
I ask as I use the right hand lane, as I always thought if the exit is past 12, then use the right lane unless it's first exit. I'd say 80% of traffic uses the left hand lane, but cuts across the roundabout which would block people taking the 3rd exit.

Back
Top Bottom