HP 'new' ZR24w

Associate
No Disguised Swearing Please!. I think it's just died on me.
After about 4 hours of glorious viewing it's just gone black, there's no 'looking for signal' panel, but the USB ports work and the LED is blue.

:( Time to test the on-site warranty.

:(

:(

Associate
In many (many) parts of the UK £350 is much more than 1 week of wages. The minimum wage (which is the living reality for millions of people in the UK) is £5.80, or £232 for a 40 hour week - before you even consider living expenses and taxes like VAT. Yep, many areas of the world have it much worse, but it's not wise to base your assumptions on "averages" which usually take in London which, as stated, has a smaller minority earning very high wages. Even that's not as good as it sounds, because it's nearly impossible to find anywhere nice to live there without spending hundreds of thousands of pounds or paying very high rents which take most of that high salary away.

Not only would most people in the UK not be willing to spend £350 on a 24" monitor, a large percentage of them couldn't afford it even if they wanted to, at least not without getting into debt. I'd love to know the source you're hearing these fairy tales from, of how wonderful life is in the UK?

FWIW I'd personally wait for the price to drop below £300 on this monitor again.. I can see no reason (other then temporary high demand) for the £50 hike..

Totally agree.

Also, the idea of balancing cost versus weekly pay is flawed. Even if someone had a weekly salary of £350, it does not mean that the monitor is a weeks work. If you can only save £50 after expenses, then the monitor is 7 weeks work - because that is the amount of time it took to save up for it.

Associate
How's this stack up to a very fast TN panel with the input lag?

I've been spoilt by the responsiveness of the Samsung 226BW and can't help but use that as a comparison :p

Associate
Just an update on the backlight bleed issue. Had an engineer visit today with a new panel. Everything looks good. No backlight bleed this time and no stuck pixels. I am a happy chappy again. Their level of support is excellent. I heard of people getting sent round in rings with the phone support but their web support was very helpful and I am impressed with the speed with which they replaced it. I'd recommend that route to anyone having issues.

Associate
Well, I have had this screen for about a day now and the only things I don`t like about it is as i've done more testing, the white-ish glare is a bit annoying at
times expeshelly when watching films on it with a lot of dark scenes in it.

The screen also has a grainy look to it which you can see when looking very closely at the pixels and moving objects across the screen in windows you can notice it as well.

The screen colors when gaming do look great.

Also Windows 7 seems to look a lot better on this screen than Windows XP does.

Despite the little niggles above, i`m still happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Baddass

Thanks for posting the review.

On your website, which ICC Profiles download gives the best screen colors out of your (Custom Color) and (sRGB 6500k) downloads???

Thanks for responding.

Associate
Received mine today from Overclockers. Pretty happy with it so far, it has performed well in the bit of gaming I have done - Crysis, LFD2, GTA4 and particularly in World of Warcraft it has looked impressive.
Backlight bleed on the top and bottom left side of the monitor but I'll live with it.

Associate
Well, I have had this screen for about a day now and the only things I don`t like about it is as i've done more testing, the white-ish glare is a bit annoying at
times expeshelly when watching films on it with a lot of dark scenes in it.

The screen also has a grainy look to it which you can see when looking very closely at the pixels and moving objects across the screen in windows you can notice it as well.

The screen colors when gaming do look great.

Also Windows 7 seems to look a lot better on this screen than Windows XP does.

Despite the little niggles above, i`m still happy with my purchase.

The white glare i'm seeing when sitting in front of the monitor is irritating me more as time goes on. It's only an issue when scenes are dark, but when playing a game like Stalker or something with a lot of dark scenes, the entire bottom left corner of my display just looks washed out and illuminated because of the glare. It's definitely not backlight bleed though so I'm not sure this would even warrant a replacement if I asked for it.

Associate
So is it really worth spending the money on getting this to replace a Samsung 215TW which is a PVA panel with this? I know the 215 has shocking input lag and the ZR24W barely has any. So for gaming excluding TN panels, is this the monitor to get?

Associate
I've used the HP ZR24W (Custom Color) ICC Profile from TFT Central, thanks to Baddass which seems to improve the screen colors as bit combined with the custom screen settings that are kindly posted.

I haven`t tried the HP ZR24W (sRGB 6500k) ICC Profile from TFT Central as yet.

I just bought a X-Rite Eye-One Display 2 Monitor Calibration device from the bay which I should hopefully receive either tuesday or wednesday.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In regards to the two ICC profiles, the custom color mode gave me th best results when used with that profile and the posted OSD settings. Remember, results will vary though but worth a try

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Baddass, just read your review and I have to say I am getting more tempted (Very good review as always btw). Do you think this would be a significant upgrade from a Samsung T240? Main uses would be colour work (Photoshop, only at a hobby level though) and gaming.

Associate
So you people don't recommend XP for this monitor? But I don't want to change OS :(

No, That was just my opinion.

I thought Windows 7 user interface looked better on this screen than Windows XP, and remember i`m coming from a CRT screen, so that has probably got something to do with it as well.

No need to change OS just for screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ZR24W looks a bit of a disappointment IMHO as the black depth and contrast ratio does not seem good according to the tftcentral review. It seems that the NEC EA231WMi seems a better monitor for image editing. The worst thing is that the LP2475W could be had for around £360 direct from HP last year IIRC.

Last edited:
Associate
The ZR24W looks a bit of a disappointment IMHO as the black depth and contrast ratio does not seem good according to the tftcentral review. It seems that the NEC EA231WMi seems a better monitor for image editing. The worst thing is that the LP2475W could be had for around £360 direct from HP last year IIRC.

I was thinking the same thing. Im really not sure now whether to get this or not now :confused:

Back
Top Bottom