*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Well I've decided to keep the headset!

Over the past few days I've found the negatives of VR completely outweighed but the immersiveness of it. Its quite amazing.

I stand by what I said regarding the initial user experience. I'm sure we all want more people to adopt VR as this will lead to further investment, but I think the major road block to that is the pretty negative experience people will likely face when they get their new headset. Customers shouldn't be relying on youtube tutorials and forums to work out which apps need installing and how to get an acceptable experience. For this reason I believe consoles are the only way VR will become adopted by the masses.

Once its set up and working well however, there really is no going back.

Thanks for the advice and tips.

This is exactly how I felt with my G2 (first ever vr headset for me also). I suspect it’s quite a common road all first time VRers go down.
I believe ps5 is getting a new headset and I think Xbox will also. Hopefully it’s good quality but affordable, as unfortunately we need the console peasants to get in on the act so game developers shovel more cash at vr ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s one of the appeals of the Quest 2... it’s very much a pick up and play headset that all but the most tech illiterate can very quickly get up and running with.

Getting it working on a PC is very slightly more involved, but still easy and a very slick user interface and setup procedure all round.

Whatever one feels about Facebook, the others in this industry could learn a lot from how they do things on the VR front.

Soldato
I stand by what I said regarding the initial user experience. I'm sure we all want more people to adopt VR as this will lead to further investment, but I think the major road block to that is the pretty negative experience people will likely face when they get their new headset. Customers shouldn't be relying on youtube tutorials and forums to work out which apps need installing and how to get an acceptable experience. For this reason I believe consoles are the only way VR will become adopted by the masses.

Don't base the VR user experience solely on the Reverb G2. It's a headset aimed more at the Enthusiast than the general public. Also, WMR isn't very User Friendly.

The Quest 2 is so popular for exactly that reason. It's simple to setup and use out of the box. No PC or technical know how required. And, one of the things Oculus does really well is keeping it simple for the beginner.

The Oculus ecosystem is far out in front of all the other headsets.

Soldato
The G2 really was just plug and play for me, no setup it just worked. As a standalone oculus did a tremendous job with the simplicity of it's product, followed the industry standard for a console aside from the bumf requirement of a rl facebook ident. As a PCVR headset not so much, a compromised afterthought that seems to be distraught with problems with either one of the link or wireless through virtual desktop taking turns with issues that need walking through judging by the resident tech support in the Q2 thread.

Back to the G2 though and why i'm here. The visuals never stop blowing me away on the thing. The ship interiors corridors in Alien Isolation last night that look so incredibly real, and the tripped out sol ladened ride in assetto corsa i just had around Fonteny in the open top.

RD just put me on to the full course circuits this guy made for Assetto Corsa, Fonteny and Feldbergring look absolutely stunning in the headset.

Associate
I have got an email yesterday from HP saying that my headset has been dispatched. I received it about a month ago. I hoped that they were sending me a "spare" but no such luck

Soldato
I'm about ready to smash up my pc trying DCS world here.
When I put on the headset after starting the game I'm about 10 feet above the aircraft in the hangar and can't see the floating menu screen, it's directly below me. I need to 'recentre' the view somehow like you can in flight sim 2020 by pressing space.

Looking online I see 10 different reports of how to fix it e.g. press 5, numer pad 5, ctrl shift c, go to Controls in game - UI, bind the 'VR centre' or whatever it's called to a keyboard key etc etc etc.

None of this works. This is an absolute ******* joke. It's no wonder VR is still niche. How do you re align/ centre your view when you start the game so you are stood on the floor and can see the floating main menu in front of you???

Last edited:
Associate
When I put on the headset after starting the game I'm about 10 feet above the aircraft in the hangar and can't see the floating menu screen, it's directly below me. I need to 'recentre' the view somehow like you can in flight sim 2020 by pressing space.

Looking online I see 10 different reports of how to fix it e.g. press 5, numer pad 5, ctrl shift c, go to Controls in game - UI, bind the 'VR centre' or whatever it's called to a keyboard key etc etc etc.

None of this works. This is an absolute ******* joke. It's no wonder VR is still niche. How do you re align/ centre your view when you start the game so you are stood on the floor and can see the main menu in front of you???

ALT-TAB into Steam VR (The small black window)... Click on the three lines top left which should drop down a menu... then click on "Reset seated position", about the third option down. Make sure you are facing the screen straight when you do it.

You should be good to go!

Soldato
ALT-TAB into Steam VR (The small black window)... Click on the three lines top left which should drop down a menu... then click on "Reset seated position", about the third option down. Make sure you are facing the screen straight when you do it.

You should be good to go!

Thank you. I think! So you do that but then you have to press the Windows and Y key so you get control of the mouse so you can then actually click on the Steam VR window. What a crock of ****. Why is it so blatantly so baffling and un-user friendly? It can't be meant to be this way, is it a bug?

Also, any tips on what settings rergarding Steam SS settings and reprojection/ smoothing settings for DCS world. I've spent literally days experimenting with Flight Sim 2020 and all the options and tweaks for that, but now with DCS I'm starting from scratch and have no idea how to get it smooth....

Associate
Yes you’ll need to press Win-Y as well..

if you’re system is similar to mine I can screenshot my settings…? I’m getting 60fps solid in built up areas….

pm me a WhatsApp contact number and I’ll screenshot it for you

Associate
Ideally you'd print your own. But there are plenty of ways of getting one printed. Often the designer on Thingiverse will be happy to print for you. Or you can use one of the many websites which outsource to local printers.
Perhaps not worth the hassle.

There are other VR lens providers like WidmoVR and VR Lens Lab, do a bit of searching. You might be able to get your prescription cheaper.

Yeah I looked at the other places and they are actually even more expensive lol. Think I'll just stick with my glasses for now

Ta for your help :)

Associate
Same here (left eye not far off from blind), how do you find it using the G2? I just noticed post this so I’ll read your previous posts to try to understand.
I ordered one but I’m a bit scared I won’t be able to use it properly.

I was worried too before I ever tried VR that it wouldn't work properly for me with having a bad eye but its no problem at all, it works great.

Although I do wonder if the experience would be even better with two good eyes...

Associate
I stand by what I said regarding the initial user experience. I'm sure we all want more people to adopt VR as this will lead to further investment, but I think the major road block to that is the pretty negative experience people will likely face when they get their new headset.

I agree completely, VR needs to be a plug and play experience to achieve wider adoption. Oculus are working towards low friction as it's been called, and it is if you stay within their ecosystem and use the headset as a console. Outside of that and forums and google are your new best buds.

Soldato
Thank you. I think! So you do that but then you have to press the Windows and Y key so you get control of the mouse so you can then actually click on the Steam VR window. What a crock of ****. Why is it so blatantly so baffling and un-user friendly? It can't be meant to be this way, is it a bug?

The control switching is dumb, don’t know why they do it. You can disable it auto switching in the WMR settings and then if you need to for whatever reason you can always win + y to switch away from desktop control.

Associate

None of this works. This is an absolute ******* joke. It's no wonder VR is still niche. How do you re align/ centre your view when you start the game so you are stood on the floor and can see the floating main menu in front of you???

Numpad 5 works, but you need to get rid of the logon popup first.

Also, its best to have the headset pointing where you want DCS to show when you start DCS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a VR experience such as a roller coaster or similar that is handy for showing friends the VR experience?

Rollercoasters are absolutely the wrong first experience for anyone - instant motion sickness, and they'll be put off for life!

I recommend 'The Blu'. It's an underwater experience where you stand (or sit) while shoals of fish, jelly fish and turtles surround you. It's absolutely magical, especially on higher resolution headsets. It's also got a whale encounter, and a deep sea experience with bioluminescent fish and other creatures.

As there's no motion involved it's a very comfortable experience for beginners to experience VR.

You can pick it up on Steam.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a VR experience such as a roller coaster or similar that is handy for showing friends the VR experience?

If you want to go there, then No Limits 2 is the best. Awesome selection of real coasters in the workshop, some great flat rides like inversions and breakdances.

Free demo available, just don't do the woody first it's the sickness inducing one. Go with the steel coasters they ain't so bad.

Back
Top Bottom