HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
I tried 50% using Steam VR, but the image lost sharpness. The G2's half resolution mode may do a better job than the Steam VR approach though.

cheers, will be interesting to see.

I'm hoping I can upgrade to a shiny new GPU this autumn too (like zero I'm currently on a 2070S), but that rather depends on what is offered and at what price bands!

Soldato
What would make more sense to upgrade for me to run this, my Vega 64 or 1950x which performs like an 1800x in games?
To upgrade the cpu would mean new motherboard for me and I'd probably want something with even better rendering performance whilst I'm at it so I'm hoping to get away with a new gpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
Upgrading from my 3770k to the 3800X improved the performance of my 1080ti...but not a whole lot. I previously upgraded from a 1070 to the 1080ti on the same old 3770k and that made a HUGE difference in VR with my CV1.

I would upgrade GPU first.

Soldato
Upgrading from my 3770k to the 3800X improved the performance of my 1080ti...but not a whole lot. I previously upgraded from a 1070 to the 1080ti on the same old 3770k and that made a HUGE difference in VR with my CV1.

I would upgrade GPU first.
That would have been my first thought but thought I'd make sure. I will try half life alyx on my current system. To my understanding if the 1950x runs with a good framerate on my cv1 that should mean in theory, a higher resolution headset will only require a faster gpu to get the same frame rate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Soldato
That would have been my first thought but thought I'd make sure. I will try half life alyx on my current system. To my understanding if the 1950x runs with a good framerate on my cv1 that should mean in theory, a higher resolution headset will only require a faster gpu to get the same frame rate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

If it's the same settings with just increased resolution, I would expect a better GPU to take care of that, yes.

Associate
I run medium track and car detail. (The two things I notice most when driving) i can use higher settings at some tracks. I can even turn on detailed shadows at some tracks. But if I want to jump into any track at any time without thinking about it, I run the settings I outlined. I get frametimes in the 8 and 9 ms range until one of the harder-to-render tracks, where I then get into the 10's.

As for the clarity of the S vs CV1 vs Reverb: I have ran all three. (borrowed the S from a friend for a few weeks) "Out of the box" the S is much clearer in PC2 than the CV1 and *clarity wise* on par with the Reverb. But it's clearly defined pixels on the S vs a clearly defined "world" in the Reverb. A better way to put it may be "sharpness". Both the Reverb and the S are "sharp", but the S still has SDE to deal with.

Also, both PC2 and AMS 2 have sharpening adjustments in the form of editable txt files in the documents folders. I was able to get the CV1's sharpness up to the level of the other two, but the SDE is more pronounced than the S.

Also, I couldn't get ACC to look good on any headset. The AA made stuff blurry in VR on all three. I can *almost* live without AA with the Reverb, (and ACC is pretty sharp with no AA) but not quite. ACC's VR interface is also a PITA.

The SDE is not the end of the world. I was able to forget about it and enjoy driving just fine. But driving without SDE (in the reverb) is better.

While the S wasn't enough to make me want to upgrade from a CV1, it is still an improvement over the CV1.

Thanks. I’m not really a fan of ACC as much as AMS2, RF2, and RR.

Soldato
I love the driving and force feedback in AMS2 but the majority of the cars don’t float my boat... been really enjoying the GTEs in RF2, so almost bought ACC in the steam sale but was put off by all the negative comments in various forums regarding force feedback and handling.

what puts it below the others for you personally if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve heard the VR implementation is a bit weak but hard to know what feedback is out of date.

I just got done with a couple of hours RF2 doing a race weekend with the 488 GTE at Zaandfort and all I could think about was how much better it’ll be when the track is clearer on the G2 :rolleyes:

Associate
I love the driving and force feedback in AMS2 but the majority of the cars don’t float my boat... been really enjoying the GTEs in RF2, so almost bought ACC in the steam sale but was put off by all the negative comments in various forums regarding force feedback and handling.

what puts it below the others for you personally if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve heard the VR implementation is a bit weak but hard to know what feedback is out of date.

I just got done with a couple of hours RF2 doing a race weekend with the 488 GTE at Zaandfort and all I could think about was how much better it’ll be when the track is clearer on the G2 :rolleyes:

In AMS2 I really enjoy the P2 MRX open top and the GT4 Ginetta. Some of the F1 cars are OK too. In general the cars in AMS2 feel really active and alive, like in RF2. I've been enjoying the 911 R and a bunch of cars in RF2 as well. ACC is OK. I was wowed by it when I first got it (first PC sim I played since GP Legends) but when I go back to it after AMS or RF2 it somehow feels a bit uninvolving I guess. RR is similar in that regard, the cars just seem less active and involving, though I quite enjoy RR online when there's no tools in the room, which is rare.

Soldato
I wonder if that is just due to the nature of the GT3 cars with their enormous downforce and traction control/abs... I might give it a try, only way to know I suppose!

Cheers!

Associate
I see the Rift S is in stock in Argos Falkirk. Almost ordered one but would have to go through the hassle of cancelling the G2 with SystemActive.

I assume the 2070 Super via G2 wont struggle to run Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Superhot VR, Robo Recall, Boneworks, and Stormlands. My teen kids are excited to try those. I am too. :)

Maybe Santa will upgrade the card to a 30 series.

ps historically I’ve had issues with theme park rides, like the transformers one where they sit you in a cart and spin around a screen. I’m hoping VR won’t be so bad and I’ll quickly build up my VR legs. Particularly in sim racing where the cockpit grounds you. Am I wrong?

Soldato
I see the Rift S is in stock in Argos Falkirk. Almost ordered one but would have to go through the hassle of cancelling the G2 with SystemActive.

I assume the 2070 Super via G2 wont struggle to run Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Superhot VR, Robo Recall, Boneworks, and Stormlands. My teen kids are excited to try those. I am too. :)

Those should mostly be fine - Boneworks and stormlands are the only remotely demanding ones. Where possible be sure to buy the steam VR versions as I believe there is sometimes a loss of performance using revive to play oculus exclusives... I'd also add Alyx to that list, it's probably the best non-sim VR game I've played to date. Considerably less janky and infuriating than boneworks and with a good story.

ps historically I’ve had issues with theme park rides, like the transformers one where they sit you in a cart and spin around a screen. I’m hoping VR won’t be so bad and I’ll quickly build up my VR legs. Particularly in sim racing where the cockpit grounds you. Am I wrong?

Some people have no problems, others struggle even in cockpits... the majority will get better over time but the key is to stop the moment you are starting to feel sick as it can teach your brain to associate VR with sickness. It also can make you feel sick for a very long time - my neighbour tried driving, got 2 metres and then felt sick the rest of the day!

There are various settings you can play with to make it more comfortable... in general you should try playing with horizon lock (so the outside world doesn't bounce around as you go over bumps, rather the car moves which feels more natural to me as it simulates your head having some inertia and the natural stabilising your brain will do in reality) and make sure that you don't have too much G-force related head movement or head shake selected as those will add to the nausea. A lot of it comes down to personal preference so don't be afraid to experiment. As mentioned I recently added a transducer and a friend who tried it could race much longer without feeling sick... I think it helped give a sense of speed and movement that was lacking before which all helps trick the brain into thinking it's actually moving a bit more, thus reducing that disconnect which can cause nausea. Worth considering if you find it difficult.

Soldato
I also would recommend playing it extra safe with your settings at first. When the headset can't hold 90fps and starts dropping frames, it can cause motion slickness. I am used to VR so it just annoys me now, but that stuff would make me sick quickly when I first started in VR.

Soldato
Told my friend about this and it made him pre order one he likes his flight sims and wants to see as much detail as possible in the cockpit, i already have a quest so can't really justify it at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom