***HTC Magic Thread***

That's quite interesting, is their version exactly the same as the magic, or is it the 'rogers' version with a bit more ram?

Also I wonder if the work done by the community on getting Cyanogenmod 5.x working on the magic helped here at all, from what I've read most people expect 2.2 to be (at the low level at least) relatively similar to 2.1...

How did it go MarcLister?

Last edited:
Is it me or were there FOUR options on how to flash to a new Amon Ra recovery? Now there's THREE. I thought I could just copy the Amon Ra recovery file to the root of my sdcard then boot into recovery and select the Amon Ra recovery file and it'd be installed for me?

Now it looks like I have to install Fastboot as the first method?

That's what I would do if I didn't have problems getting that method to work. :D

I'll give it a try tomorrow night. Time for a shave. Starting to look too unkempt for work. ;)

Well I've just flashed to Cyanogen 5.0.8. :) I'd completely forgotten about it and decided to do the job tonight. It took me a while to remember how to get into recovery mode as I just couldn't get the RA recovery 1.7.0 flashed in the terminal; I probably should have mounted the SD card after I did the SU command and BEFORE I tried to flash the recovery image. :D

When I finally got into the recovery mode I found I'd already got the RA 1.7.0 installed so I then flashed the latest Cyanogen ROM. It looks nice although I'm finding the signal a bit flaky, my Vodafone Sure signal box is probably playing up on me as it has been all weekend so far. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm liking 5.0.8, although that's probably more due to being able to run LauncherPro which rocks :p

Looking forward to CM6, from the sounds of some of the tweets from the CM devs the speed on the G1 is impressive, better than CM5 which is always nice, maybe I can wait a bit longer before upgrading :)

I think I screwed up with the Google Apps zip. :p I was meant to unpack it to the root of the SD card so that when 5.0.8 was flashed the Google Apps were installed as well? :o

no, the gapps zip file should be flashed from the recovery image as if it were the full rom, I believe the zip files contain essentially an install script...

So I flash it myself from recovery like I did the Cyanogen 5.0.8? I think I did that and I got an error message.

Never mind, I seem to have fixed it. :) Just hope the Market app is now there as well. :o

Hmm the Market app is there, it just won't load. :( Starts to open then shuts.

Last edited:
I definately just flashed it from within the recovery image (I did it immediately after flashing 5.0.7, didn't need it again after 5.0.8)

Might be worth trying from the recovery again, or maybe removing the apk's and flashing from recovery, did you do the nandroid backup? might be able to restore that and reflash both 5.0.8 and the gapps to fix it?

The Google Apps zip flashed OK second time round. The Market app is now there but won't load up. And I forgot to do a Nandroid backup. :D:o I remembered I should have done that pretty much immediately after I installed the 5.0.8. :D

Could the Market issue be because I haven't signed into my Google account? I can't find where to do that on 5.0.8.

Must've missed this, did you get it sorted in the end?

You shouldn't need to re-sign in to your account, it seems to remember it even after a wipe, iirc at least...

In other news CM 6.0 RC1 is out, just flashed and going through the long reboot procedure now...

One downside is currently the old Apps2SD stuff isn't included, so all my apps on the SD card will be gone, it does obviously include the Froyo version of Apps2SD though, but that uses a FAT partition rather than Ext4 like I currently use...

Too slow, already mentioned it :p

Worth noting that (unless he's updated it already) the gapps Cyanogen released has an issue with the market force closing constantly, there's a fixed version available in the xda thread though :)

Seems to be running ok, lost my apps due to apps2sd being gone but the new market seemed to recover the majority of them which is nice.

I'll give a better verdict tomorrow but so far I'm liking it, initially seems quite a bit smoother :)

Yeah, I think the magic is simply too slow, although the speed improvement in 2.2 is impressive, not tried JIT yet (seems it's not that great due to lack of memory for us)

But over 2.1 it's definately worth doing, or will be once the market is fixed and CM6 stable is out :p

My market is busted on 2.1 anyway, I'm hoping that 2.2 will hang about for a while, because it very much felt like 2.1 was a bit of a rush job which never got properly stable, on account of work beginning on porting 2.2
Anyone know if DivX/Xvid support is included in Cyanogen's 2.2?

Back
Top Bottom