***HTC Magic Thread***

Soldato
I am not due an upgrade until late october so have to hang on to it for a while.
You can pay up the rest of your contract now and start a new contract on a new phone. ;)

I'm thinking of paying up the rest of my contract, which ends in May 2011 :D, and getting a Desire on Vodafone. All I'd be paying them up front is what they'd be getting each month until May 2011. :)

Man of Honour
You can pay up the rest of your contract now and start a new contract on a new phone. ;)

I'm thinking of paying up the rest of my contract, which ends in May 2011 :D, and getting a Desire on Vodafone. All I'd be paying them up front is what they'd be getting each month until May 2011. :)

tempting but I wanted to string it out to see what new handsets are out towards the end of the year.

Is there an app that would let me flip to landscape and back at will - rather than with accelerometer?

Soldato
anyone know of anywhere that offers a screen replacement service for a Magic? I think i need both the LCD and digitizer! Cant seem to find the parts for a reasonable price without resorting to a dodgy ebay seller!

Caporegime
Going to install 5.0.8 now.

Should I format my sd card?

Or just install Amon RA, do a backup, wipe and install the rom and Google apps?

edit------------------>

Got this error

FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)

When I tried to boot into Amon_RA. :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
All done and wow it is so fast!

Lets see if I have any problems with the Market...

I keep meaning to do this as my Magic is now painfully slow, i.e hitting the home button from most apps leaves me with a black screen for like 20seconds :(

Think it's time to hit XDA and look for video tutorials :)

Caporegime
I keep meaning to do this as my Magic is now painfully slow, i.e hitting the home button from most apps leaves me with a black screen for like 20seconds :(

Think it's time to hit XDA and look for video tutorials :)

You should.

I've just gone from 4.2.15.1 to 5.0.8 and it is amazingly fast!

Just follow this guide. Use Amon_RA's recovery instead though.

Hmm, anyone gone from 4.X to 5.x or 6.x and seen a good improvement with no little to no bugs ?

As above and no bugs so far, very very fast. :)

When I can be bothered I will sort it out properly and use Amon_RA's recovery, my SD card is a mess as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This part here mate.

INSTRUCTIONS:
- First time flashing CM-5?
1. Root your device and install Clockwork Recovery (ROM Manager on the market) or Amon_RA's recovery (Dream / Magic)
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Install the DangerSPL if you don't already have it
4. WIPE (I cannot guarantee an upgrade from CM-4.2 to CM-5 will work)
5. Install the ROM
6. Optionally install the Google Addon if you want Google Applications like Gmail and Market

You don't have to do the Danger_SPL part, but do the Google Apps part.

Here is a more detailed guide by Alfie including stuff on how to root it.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16518216&postcount=3542

Soldato
Cheers Azza, I am just waiting on the install now. Formatted the SD card with Amon Ra as they now advise to use FAT32 instead of EXT4.

Fingers crossed all will work nicely :)

Soldato
Woo! I have a shiny phone with 5.08. No bugs to report so far as my market is working 100% and everything else seems much snappier than the 4.x.15 I was running before!

Azza have you noticed the battery life shorten on the 5.08 vs 4x?

Soldato
Azza, Cheers for reminding me about RC2, noticed at work but I'd forgotten already :p

I've been running RC1 for a fair while now, the market is semi-b0rked, but other than that I'm really liking it, not really 'quicker' than 5.x but does seem to handle the memory better and just stay usable more...

Anyway, time to update to RC2 :)

Caporegime
Woo! I have a shiny phone with 5.08. No bugs to report so far as my market is working 100% and everything else seems much snappier than the 4.x.15 I was running before!

Azza have you noticed the battery life shorten on the 5.08 vs 4x?

Yeah I think so, not sure why though. Going to have to look into more detail on XDA or something. Since I uninstalled my App killer it does seem to have gotten better.

Will report more when I can.

Azza, Cheers for reminding me about RC2, noticed at work but I'd forgotten already :p

I've been running RC1 for a fair while now, the market is semi-b0rked, but other than that I'm really liking it, not really 'quicker' than 5.x but does seem to handle the memory better and just stay usable more...

Anyway, time to update to RC2 :)

No problem mate. :)

As soon as it hits full release I'll be all over it.

Soldato
I'm running CM 6.x RC2 on my Magic.

My only grumble (and I had this with cm5.0.8) is when returning to the Home Screen. All icons and widgets would disappear and then redrawn, despite me selecting the option to always keep Home Screen in memory.

Run a Task Manager and I'm always hovering around the 20MB of free memory, so don't know if that's to blame.

I'm also not running Aps on SD and don't have SD card partitioned with swap file etc.

Caporegime
I'm running CM 6.x RC2 on my Magic.

My only grumble (and I had this with cm5.0.8) is when returning to the Home Screen. All icons and widgets would disappear and then redrawn, despite me selecting the option to always keep Home Screen in memory.

Run a Task Manager and I'm always hovering around the 20MB of free memory, so don't know if that's to blame.

I'm also not running Aps on SD and don't have SD card partitioned with swap file etc.

That happens with me on 5.0.8.

I'm not running apps on the SD so that might be what it is. Where is the option to keep Home Screen in memory?

Back
Top Bottom