HTC touch diamond

Soldato
ANyone got one of these? Sick of waiting for the omnia and this is available on orange right now.

Mines is being delivered tomorrow so will be able to test it out for ya :) I got sick of waiting too but this phone does look pretty classy if you ask me so thats why I went for it!

Dont get my free internet until my next bill tho so wont be testing the net capabilities much if at all until then! :(

Soldato
OP
Mines is being delivered tomorrow so will be able to test it out for ya :) I got sick of waiting too but this phone does look pretty classy if you ask me so thats why I went for it!

Dont get my free internet until my next bill tho so wont be testing the net capabilities much if at all until then! :(

What provider? Orange?

Soldato
Had one for about a month now, really nice bit of kit but the touchflo3d interface can run a bit slow at times, other than that its been faultless.

Got it on Orange Dolphin 35 with free internet browsing. The internet is reasonable, most of my time is spent on 2.5g so the net isnt super fast, but its fast enough. The phone coverage has been bang on for me, far better than when I was with t-mobile.

Texting is fine, but the screen is a bit cramped so you dont always see your entire message on the screen.

Any specific questions you need answers to mate? Ill give it a go

Soldato
the omnia is out now, but the diamond and mda iv which is the same phone is very nice, couldnt live with a 320 x 240 res screen now ive used the vga of the mda 4

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on the keyboard layout you use. Personally I use the compact qwerty setup which is a qwerty keyboard but has 2 letters to one key, meaning its still a hell of a lot faster to use than a phone keypad, but a lot less fiddly to use than a full qwerty.

Personally I have pretty massive hands, and very large thumbs, and I get along with it just fine. The main thing I like about it is that its a different style of touchscreen to the iphone, meaning that it recognises pressures too, so a double tap on a key does not require you fully removing your finger from the screen, just a slight pressure lift.

Persoanlly I think THIS review shows off the menu systems pretty well.

gsmarena_s066.jpg

Yeah yeah hotlinking bad

Soldato
We had one at work, didn't like it that much. Found it slow to boot up and present you with the Windows Mobile interface. I also found you had to touch the screen quite hard to get it to take commands.

Soldato
Just got rid of mine and gone back to my TyTn II. Absolutely the worst phone I've owned.

The VGA screen is stunning but the touchFLO interface simply does not work. It takes about half a second to respond, booting apps and stuff takes an age, battery life terrible and all the while you sit their comparing it to the Iphone interface which this obviously wants to be. (I hate the iphone btw)

I applaud HTC for trying to make WM 6.1 look and feel more user friendly but they have failed totally.

My advice is to avoid. Cant comment on the Omnia of course.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
comparing videos on youtube, the omnia seems to be more responsive. i think this is because the CPU is slightly bigger in the omnia, and also the omnia doesnt have the touchflow 3d graphics.

the omnia is out on internet shops, and will be in shops this week.

Associate
I think stock the phone has a lot of speed issues, but if you decide to get one, head over to the xda fourms and get one of the new custom roms and its a different phone

Soldato
Whilst I do agree that the touchflo3d is unreponsive at times, HTC have already released an update that is supposed to make it much much better. So far Vodafone are the only supplier to release this update to contract tied phones, but im hoping others wont take too long to follow.

Battery life has improved since I got it as its had a few charges through it now, but it still needs charging daily.

Soldato
Got mine from Orange (business) along with 2 others for collegues a couple of weeks ago and love it compared to my old SPV M3100 which was always just that too big and fat to be considered a phone rather than a pda.

It does have a few shortcomings with the main one being battery life but that can be tempered with a few well choosen tweaks and bearing in mind that wifi or GPS usage for any length of time will knock 10´s of % of the batterys charge but normally with gps at least, your in the a car its got power from a fairly bog standard usb/cig lighter charger.

I´ve already tweaked mine to death, installed a newer Rom, tomtom etc.. and think it must be hard to beat on what it can do in such a small package compared to everything bar an iphone which itself is bigger and less flexible.

The camera is excellant for a phone, miles better than the M3100´s and I also hear (but dont know for sure), a fair bit better than an iphones

As mentioned above, when you get it head over to xda developers forum and even if you baulk at flashing the rom, there´s a 4 to 8 well choosen registry tweaks that can up responsiveness a fair bit and help with battery management. Some developers have developed (& constantly updating) tweak tools/apps to make enabling/changing these registry settings a breeze.

What the phone can do is truly superb I agree, its the delivery of it I had a problem with. And while the tweaks did make a difference, I still felt cheated out of my hard earned cash.

Its a very expensive piece of kit to buy, and when I tested it against my wife's £200 mWg atom, the atom loaded just about every program a damn site faster than the Diamond did, which is very poor imo.

They really should have named it the HTC Marmite, because you'll either love it or hate it I guess.

Soldato
Well I have just taken delivery of my HTC Touch Diamond and I have been instantly impressed :)

The handet is essentially no bigger than my k850i yet a lot thinner. I have only done the initial setup and messed about with the home menus etc but the phone is easily useable and the touch sensitivity is superb. After the initial calibration I have practiced texting and all seems pretty accurate considering I was using my thumb.

The stylus packaged has a neat holster to the bottom right of the phone and the build quality in general is superb. The phone looks the business also and with the Orange version you get the original back of the phone and it is not branded whatsoever which imo is a good thing.

The package is pretty good also with everything you would expect but the addition of both a protective pouch and 2xscreen protectors is essential in my view and was something that actually crossed my mind before it came! SO I am happy they are included. The CD for the software is hidden away in the lid of the box which was cool but I havent installed it yet.

The camera despite only being 3 MP seems pretty solid in terms of features and settings but its a shame it didnt have even the weakest of flashes. The pictures it takes seem pretty nice also. There are 5pages of advanced settings which i havent delved into yet.

Once my new sim activates I will be looking forward to testing out it's other features and of course the music player as there is 4GB of storage. As for internet I will be waiting until Sept 9th before I use it as my free unlimited usage begins then. I'll probably test it out however before hand!

It also came pre-installed with Google Maps for anyone who wanted to know.

Associate
The USB charging plug goes in upside down compared to the MDA III

A bit confusing when you have both of them.

---

Anyone found the way the screen goes off in seconds when you are on a call?

Type a number, listen to it ring, and after about 5 seconds the vibrate thing makes a short buzz like a dog going 'rofff'. The screen then goes blank.

This is quite annoying when using an automated system (press 1 for a droid, 2 for a ...). You have to look at the phone to press 1, then listen to the message and if you have to make more screen presses the damn screen is blank!

You can't activate it by pressing the touch screen (if you did you may press like an 8 and get the janitor) - you have to press either the power button or the round button.

Maybe I'm missing something but it's not easy.

Is this 'feature' because the phone is flat surface? I would suspect that in tests they had a lot of users mistakenly pressing buttons when they put the phone to the ear. Blanking the screen after a few seconds stops the keypad being pressed by large ear lobes or Bet Lynch ear rings.

Back
Top Bottom