** HTC VIVE PRO - UPGRADED WIRELESS VR HEADSET ANNOUNCED **

OcUK Staff
Hi guys, great start to CES with a headset announced by HTC with all the features we've been asking for. No word on price yet and I've had word the first batch will be extremely limited stock (like 50 units for us...).

Word is that at the moment its planned to be a standalone so it is mainly an upgrade for existing users who already have all the peripherals. I'll see about making a bundle with what peripherals we stock such as cables, lighthouse towers, controllers, etc. but this will probably cost more than an official bundle I assume will be released in time for peak season.

Timescale I've been told Q1 but take with a pinch of salt.

HTC VIVE PRO The professional grade VR Headset @ PRICE TBC inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/74875

HTC VIVE PRO The proffessional grade VR Headset, Hi-Res Headset + 3D Spatial Audio, Re-engineered and Optimized Ergonomics, Latest SteamVR Tracking System, Wireless Powered by Intel® WiGig

PRICE TBC

ORDER NOW

OcUK Staff
OP
will overclockers be taking pre-orders?

Yes although I don't want to until we have a price confirmed.

"Li-ion Battery Powered for Long Hours of VR Freedom"

I find that statement vague and unconvincing. Anyone seen the actual capacity stated anywhere?

The TPCast Wireless adaptor we have already gives around 2-4 hours which is more than enough for a session I find. I imagine it will be similar for the official HTC battery pack.

OcUK Staff
OP
I tried Pimax 4K out over the weekend with a view to listing. I probably will look to get a few units in however in my educated opinion, HTC VIVE beats Pimax 4K hands down, and it will probably be a similar story with the pro/8K (based on content provision and professionalism).

If anyone has used the pimax they will tell you about the insane, funny/idiotic chinese English used during setup and on the website, this is the start of my confidence in the product waning. It just didn't seem proffessional or polished form start to finish. Their content is delivered very poorly, for example, with a "beauty" option under movies, no prices displayed and links on it to steam but not via the steam api, to the website meaning you'll have to login there, etc.. Their content is very difficult to navigate and for laymen setting them up, and then setting up separate 3rd party controllers and sensors will be just too much (if they want room scale). They are very much a Chinese headset for the Chinese market. Not only that I found the headset very flimsy and hard to focus when in 3d mode. In my honest belief if someone had the money for an Oculus or a VIVE and bought a Pimax 4k to save money it would be a false economy.

If you do not have the extra disposable for an HTC/HTC or any of the slew of soon to be arriving AR/MR windows headsets; and you are tech savvy, not bothered about room scale, can find 3rd party websites to get content + games from then the price difference is worth it.

I will of course review this position ongoing and I look forward to seeing what their 8K headset has to offer against the competition.

So when are we expecting this to be out for then?

PRO should be here end of Feb

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
I've got a Rift, it's a great piece of kit, I'm not sure how the Vive stacks up as I've never used one. I'm sure it's great and I'm sure the Pro will be even better.

However, the one thing I am sure of, is that currently it's the lack of compelling software rather then hardware that is the biggest obstacle to VR becoming a mainstream success.

Unless VR can capture the masses, this is all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

With the VIVE PRO being aimed more at professionals rather than gamers I'm wondering if the mainstream for VR will, for the foreseeable, be amongst architects, designers etc. The whole reason for the 10x10m area is so that car designers can walk around a car they are designing etc. Perhaps the killer app will be in the professional sphere?..

You are right though in your summation, we are getting more AAA games but they are still ports. While VR is currently still amazing and fun, we do need a killer exclusive which will have everyone clamouring for VR and take it to the next level.

OcUK Staff
OP
£799 is crazy pricing for the headset alone, especially considering the price of the Samsung Odyssey which has the same res screen. Surely the tracking can't push the price up that much?

If you've experienced as many VR headset's as I have proper tracking can be worth it's weight in gold.

The important thing to remember with the VIVE PRO is that it isn't primarily a gaming advice but a professional headset designed to be used for real world applications such as by designers, architects, doctors etc. to be able to visualise projects, scans etc. It is one of the reasons they have put the tracking area up to 10x10m so that they can fit whole cars into the space and be able to walk around them and view them from all angles.

Product listing below:

HTC VIVE PRO The professional grade VR Headset (99HANW016-00) @ £799.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/HTC-...-grade-VR-Headset-99HANW016-00-VR-00L-HC.html

HTC VIVE PRO The professional grade VR Headset, Hi-Res Headset + 3D Spatial Audio, Re-engineered and Optimized Ergonomics, Latest SteamVR Tracking System

Only £799.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Back
Top Bottom